arabic classes in denmark

Discussion in 'World Events' started by orcot, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doreen Valued Senior Member

It is also fair, if a high % of the population has a certain foreign language. Often immigrants have a number of languages, but must, in entering Denmark become fluent is several other languages, not just Danish. The languages they had coming in do not count. The same is true for, for example, Poles, who often have Russian. Then they come to Denmark and must add on two languages, often simultaneously. That they get an advantage on the 3rd new language, which is sort of like credit for life experience - already the case for immigrants from Germany, the US, England, etc. - is absolutely no loss to the Danes.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Which languages are like the stone age?

Do you mean like Arabic from which we got the word algebra?

Were Stone Age hunters using trig when building their huts?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

No, not at all. What i mean is that speaking different languages has no benefit except for nostalgic purposes. Algebra goes back to Babylonians. Sure many English words are derived from different languages, some not even widely used today.

Look at what mike said about the Danes speaking English. What is the point of learning ANY other language aside from English? All it does is create confusion. I have said here before base a language off of English and make some minor changes to simplify English, give it a new name and then you have a universal language.

Isnt English pretty much universal already? Look up at the planets, assume life on another planet and imagine you were going to visit that planet. Then they tell you 'by the way they speak 92 different language'. my response would be 'you cant be serious'. Well that is my feeling on it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

my heritage is not English speaking so just pointing things out in terms of practicality.

8. John99 Banned Banned

think about it. are we all going to learn Chinese? have you ever seen a web page written in Chinese? how long would it even take to write a full page of those charcters? one page has to take quite awhile.

9. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Japan has Chinese mixed with Japanese and now Romanji. I think it can be good because having all these weird ways of expression can lead to new ideas and move humanity forward....

10. John99 Banned Banned

mike, that is a bit of a stretch. it is just a form of communication but the thoughts and ideas are coming from the same source, the human brain.

take this web site as an example. it isnt in polish, so if a polish person comes along he wouldnt understand it. now he has to take the time out to learn English, but for what? does this make sense?

11. Doreen Valued Senior Member

I am not sure where Chinese came in as an issue, but perhaps I jumped in where some subtopic was being discussed.

12. John99 Banned Banned

Chinese is a language Doreen.

13. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Actually is more than one language. I thought the thread was about Arabic in Denmark's schools. The various Chinese languages are not Stone Age languages either, so I am still confused about your point.

14. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I see where you are coming from. And yes, as English is the dominant language in the modern world, I think it's important that children learn English - I mean children everywhere. By one estimate I read there will be more English speaking Chinese than English speaking Americans! That's interesting. So yeah, it's useful.

BUT, I was thinking of the process of "invention" - really, it's poorly understood. How do we invent things? Why? Who? Language is probably linked in on the process - and I just wonder if being able to think and write in other languages, if that might lead those few people who do invent to that moment of eureka? Imagine what it's like for a Japanese writing ideas in Chinese Characters and English and of course Japanese - maybe they can make a link in a way that will lead to a new idea that we might miss if thinking in English only?

Think of it as a probability...

OR, maybe my theory is crap? I'm not sure.

What's important for that very small proportion of the population that invent things? They are the ones that matter the most in my mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.