Anyone speak latin?

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by w1z4rd, Jan 11, 2008.

1. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Im trying to translate this badly spelt latin sentence and I was hoping someone here could help me out:

Ite et construprate aviam suam

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

As far as my Latin goes, I think it should probably be "constuprate", not "construprate".

If so then it basically means: "go and ravish/rape his grandmother", or words to that effect.
    Not a particularly nice sentiment, anyhow.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Is aviam not some form of the word for "bird"? No sé hablar latín.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. [a-5] Sex machine, coin operated. Registered Senior Member

Yo no hablo latín. Latín es una idioma difícil.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Avis only has two syllables so I suspect most of the inflected forms do too. Since "grandmother" is abuela in Spanish and avó in Portuguese, I wouldn't be surprised if the original Latin word starts with av-.

Latin is full of pairs like that. Remember, bell- is the root of both "war" and "beautiful."

And in Spanish the language is called latino.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. [a-5] Sex machine, coin operated. Registered Senior Member

Yeah, romance languages. Similar roots, etc, etc.

10. Frud11 Banned Banned

Ite et construprate aviam suam

constru is construere, to build or make
    aviam is the dative (the object of "make")
    "Go and make (thinks: it should be parte--direction or part, no such word as prate) some bird."

i.e. Latin equiv. of "go fly (yourself as) a kite". Or aviam is the accusative of "granny", so it's " he makes himself an old woman". IF suam is really suum.

Otherwise if it is suam, that means "I will stitch", or it also means "I should/would stitch"--the subjunctive. So it all becomes: "granny (that old woman) 'I' should go and make (stitch together) something". ?

Latin is wondrously ambiguous, see how "bird" and "granny" look similar. Aviam also means "old wives tale", and "prejudice".

P.S. you could break it all down even further, but this is, I hope, some idea...

P.P.S. A note about mis-spelt Latin and built-in or intentional ambiguity:

You could also assume that it's all intentionally spelt. The word construprate would then presumably be artistic (compounded), and also contracted (several distinct words). Latin speakers are free to do this, and drop syllables to retain a meter.

It could have been something like: "construere per/pre ad te", which means: "make you for/before".

Then it's: "I should go and stitch an old (wive's tale /bird together) for you".

Latmobilus prolix alia, innou vehi levis ire. (The Latmobile goes a long way towards any meaning)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  11. suntken34 Registered Member

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

If you go ask a catholic priest you should get an answer, they are trained in laitin. My grandfather wrote an inscription to me on something he gave me before he died and mum had to take it to the priest because par wrote it in latin

13. Frud11 Banned Banned

"nope"
    Is that the imperative of "nopere, nopui, nopestus sum"?