Anyone have a latin translation for the word lovable?

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Cortex_Colossum, May 10, 2009.

1. Cortex_Colossum Banned Banned

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Um, the closest I can think of is pellax, but that's more used in terms of being seductive.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Spanish has the word amable, meaning merely "nice." I assume it must be derived from a Latin word like amabilis.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Latin word for love?

Answer

amo, amare

WIKI

8. Arachnakid Linguist-In-Training Registered Senior Member

I was going to say something like the spanish amable, but Fraggle already got it.

9. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

10. superstring01 Moderator

Answer: querido ("dear" or "lover") and amable work. Though, adorable or encantable work much better.

Some words just don't have a direct translation. For example the mega-useful word, "so" in English is nearly impossible to translate directly into Spanish. It has so many meanings, and is used so regularly that there's nothing that quite compares. Likewise, "ojalá" (which comes from Arabic meaning, "Allah willing") has no English equivalent. Most people say it translates as, "I wish/hope" or "here's hoping." But it takes a full phrase to convey the concept in English: "Would that I had this greatest of desires". It also has spiritual undertones (especially in Spain) which root from its reference to "Allah" (Spain used to be a Muslim nation eons ago).

~String

11. Cortex_Colossum Banned Banned

Hi everyone,

It is a rare Latin word that I can put in front of the word "regards". As in "I send my most adorable/lovable regards."

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Your words of greeting and concern are so exquisite that they are worthy of being loved? Perhaps you mean, "my most adoring/loving regards."

13. Cortex_Colossum Banned Banned

Hi Fraggle,
    Thanks for your help I appreciate it. I am actually looking for a rare Latin word. The best word I could find in place of loving was amplexus. Which is a shitty word to use.

14. Cortex_Colossum Banned Banned

What is a good word to use? An especial word to use?

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

"My fondest regards" is well established, yet it has fallen into disuse in modern times so it would come across as somewhat fresh and exceptional or "special."

Not every Latin word has been assimilated into an English form.

Speaking of falling into disuse, "especial" in its adjectival form is almost never used in the USA any more, except as a deliberate expression of pedantry. As an adverb, on the other hand, "especially" is the standard except in the narrow sense of "specifically and with some effort," e.g., a car specially designed for tall people.