Anybody use online email-reminder calendars.???

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by cluelusshusbund, Mar 11, 2024.

1. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I use Google Calendar... works grate.!!!

Full Disclosure:::
    I don't work for Google an don't get paid for this post.!!!

Some of my uses for it are:::

Estimated Taxes
    Insurance renewals
    Monthly Bills... just as a reminder to visit the account for a look-see
    Dr. appointments
    Birthdates
    Property tax
    Oil changes
    Time to buy more Tracfone time
    RMD's
    Change electric toothbrush head
    DST day-before reminder
    Driver license an registration
    Cell phone chargin schedule
    Plus misc. email reminders for thangs that pop up thru the year.!!!

How about you... any likes... or dislikes about these services.???

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Nope. My calendar/todo-list is a little notebook that fits in my pocket.

Not because I'm a luddite or a dinosaur (yes I have a smartphone) but because
    • much of my notes are too illustrative and complex to be captured by lines of text alone - an app is far too restrictive
    • thumb-typing is not conducive to thinking and problem-solving
    • the writing-down process is an integral part of the remembering process
    Still, you track way more things than I do. Appointments and events are about all I track.

Most of my book is to-do lists and shopping lists for projects. If I don't have my notebook handy, that's when I'll write a note on my phone - temporarily ... and then transfer it to my notebook ASAP.

It would be nice if I could carry just a phone, instead of a phone and a notebook, but the functions of a phone just aren't up to the task of capturing thought processes.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. geordief Valued Senior Member

Have you seen Hanif Kureishi's writing over the past year and more?
    Everything is dictated to his son or family as he has lost the use of his hands ,along with his legs and some bodily functions.

In a recent posting he interrupted (or seamlessly inserted) his writing to point out that his catheter had malfunctioned and he was wetting his trousers.

I recommend his output (and also the comments ,all of which that he seems to get around to reading and to some, replying)

https://hanifkureishi.substack.com/

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure what you mean by an "email- reminder" calendar. I'm on Apple OS and iOS and use its Calendar function for reminders, which come up on the phone and the laptop. But it doesn't need to talk to email to do that, so far as I am aware.

What role does email play in sending you reminders, on the system you are using?

8. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I use a Chromebook... an for Example:::

A couple of days ago i set a reminder on google calendar to always send me an email notice the day before its time to change our clocks to DST... an another reminder the day before we go off DST.!!!

I wouldn't want a reminder sent to my cell phone cause its mostly off when we are home.!!!

9. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Then we use a similar system... paper for projects (some of which i scan to Google docs)... project purchase lists in pencil... but placed in my billfold instead of a notebook.!!!

When i set up Google reminder... i can also add long notes when needed that will display when I open the email.!!!

10. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Wot da point, if de calen'a sen U a reminah anyways?

DaveC426913 likes this.
  11. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

There are DST notices on the calender itself... but ther on the day the DST change occurs... I like a notice the day before the changes as a reminder to set the clocks before going to bed.!!!

12. exchemist Valued Senior Member

With Mac OS you can set 2 reminders, including one the day before if you want. I often do that, one the day before and one an hour or so before the time I need to act. As I have turned off the thing that goes bing when new emails arrive (to avoid becoming a slave to my In box), getting it to send me an email would be less useful than the calendar reminder itself, since I have set those so they do go bing to attract my attention.