Any Mensa members on sciforums.......?

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by marv, Dec 7, 2004.

1. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I saw a story about Mensa on Sixty-Forty or Twenty Minutes - one of those American shows. They portrayed Mensa members as a bunch of nerds who sit around talking about Star trek.

It may not be a fair viewpoint, but it didn't appeal much to me.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

IQ is just a potential, like the size of your bucket. Years ago, when I had the opportunity to be more active, I met a lot of members with their buckets only half full! Some really, really, really believed in flying saucers and alien abductions and all sorts of strange things.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Facial Valued Senior Member

IQ is only a fuzzy concept. I refuse to join any society of high-IQ people.

Instead, I like to read Marilyn vos Savant's column.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. PDH50 Registered Member

Here is some sort of puzzle that i beleive may be a mensa puzzle...

give it a try and tell me what you think.

P.S. If you solve it, "enlighten" me

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\untitled.bmp[IMG]

This drawn star has 5 triangles, by adding two straight lines to it, make the 5 triangles become 10

8. PDH50 Registered Member

Here is some sort of puzzle that i beleive may be a mensa puzzle...

give it a try and tell me what you think.

P.S. If you solve it, "enlighten" me

Draw a star...
    you know, the ones you are taught to do in school for quick drawings...

This drawn star has 5 triangles, by adding two straight lines to it, make the 5 triangles become 10

the rules regarding the triangles is that there can't be any lines that go through the triangle, however, the lines can go anywhere inside or outside the star

9. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I have a link to solve the one you worded here.

http://www.creativepuzzels.nl/spel/speel1/speel2/5star-2.htm

you threw us all off the one you posed in the free thoughts section, by mentioning '9 triangles' so we then inculded the larger ones when doing our calcs and forgot about the fact we were only meant to be using the 5 smaller ones.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Some Mensa chapters are more elitist than others. In the Washington DC area most of them went to private schools, whereas in the San Francisco area most went to public schools. That makes for a much different vibe.

I never joined because I was already hanging out mostly with other nerds from college and I got a job in computer programming. The last thing I needed was to not socialize with regular folks.

My impression is that men far outnumber women in Mensa so the women have a much better time.

11. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Huh. So you did programming for a while and then (if I remember correctly) you got a job doing technical writing/documentation?

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Me? I've always been in I.T., since 1967. It's a big field. I've done a lot of training, writing, editing newlsetters, presentations, etc. I've explained relational database theory and launched a data security program. I got the place I was working for in 1989 to start thinking about Y2K all the way back then, and as a result they started remediation in 1995 and were all done in 1998 when the rest of the world was starting to panic and deciding which systems weren't "critical."

13. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I always thought instead of a test the applicant's answers to these 2 questions should be sufficient for membership:

1. What is the meaning of life for you?
    2. Do you believe in god(s) and why(not)?