Anti-war film stuns film festival

Discussion in 'Politics' started by countezero, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Atom Registered Senior Member

Its in sharp contrast to the generousity shown by the Iranians to our own female who was taken prisoner.

Being a Westerner she immediately sold her story and, despite her promises, has yet to share the monies accrued.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

My "subjective" social ideals do not involve measuring the worth of people by monetary benefits accrued to me.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

It seems to me the point is "Stop the war, because look at what the military is doing: raping and killing people." Certainly the tale of the rape and death is not going to wrap up with "so, as we can see, there were no WMDs and Saddam was not a threat."

How do you tell a story of military members committing a crime, praise the military for catching and punishing them and then draw the conclusion "therefore this war is bad"? I think I see how those dots would need to be connected, and its (1) offer no praise for the catching and punishment of the criminals and (2) imply that the crimes are typical of American actions in Iraq (which means typical of the American military's actions in Iraq).

(He probably won't even mention the rape rooms being run by Saddam before we got there.)

I agree that you can be anti-war without being anti-military (I am), but the mistake you are making is assuming that somehow this film is anti-war without being anti-military, despoite the fact that it relies on crimes by military members as its principle argument against the war.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Because we already know about it -- have for 10+ years. There's only so many movies or documentaries that can be made about a given subject that will shed new light on a matter. This is why most films bring up new issues to educate the masses about, regardless of the motives for doing so.

- N