Anti-Vulcan bias by writers of Voyager & Enterprise

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by WildBlueYonder, Nov 21, 2001.

1. OK, all you 'Trekkies' and 'Trekkers', have you noticed that Star Trek has continued to go with an anti-Vulcan bias that has gotten worst and worst from 'Voyager' to 'Enterprise'? What's with that? Since Klingons have taken on a more active role in the ST universe, it seems that Vulcans have been relegated to supporting roles as the foils of bad jokes, and now to 'wet blankets' on humankind's quest for exploration into the 'great unknown'. I can't be the only one who has noticed? I bet that episode after episode can be named.

Live long and prosper!!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

NO!!! !!!!!!!!! IT'S A COOKBOOK!!!!!!
    I mean a training manual for the 21st Century. Honestly, how are we supposed to get ready for the future, if we can't imagine it? Anyway, originally Vulcans were portrayed as; logical, looking for the logic and beauty of the their world, as above average strength, and as trying to control their natural instincts and emotions (because they are too dangerous).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2001
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I had posted on this before and will do so again. It amazes me that folks look at these enertainment tv series as a layout of the future.

In the first series Star Trek, there was a lot more thought given to the future and how it might be using today as a basis for the the future. But Gene Roddenberry never layed out any of the others as valid books and series developing the ideas into a story. The Star Trek series tried to follow the precepts that Gene layed out as a model to guide the series in its outlook. The rest were offshoots because after so long people still can't get enough of the Star Trek world. But they are vastly differnt in their guiding principals and outlook. They cater more to the idea that this is a paying job and that there is no need to go to the extend that the first series did. You have less meat there in the ideas and hence less to guide you in the "model of the future".

I wish that were so. Do not put so much faith into something so shallow. The answers are not there.

8. Dracula's Guest Twisted firestarter Registered Senior Member

There was a regular vulcan on TOS, a regular vulcan on VGR. TNG didnt have a vulcan but Data filled those shoes comfortably, oh and apparently there is a vulcan on the new Enterprise.
    I've had enough of Vulcans and their "logic", cant someone try something different? Why does every Star Trek series have to focus on a starfleet crew of one particular ship. Screw Starfleet, theres a million other life forms out there.

And why does every life form look like a human but with ridges on their forehead. I know there was an episode of TNG that explained how the DNA of a super advanced ancient species was spread around the galaxy, but they could try something different. The Borg used to be good, 8472 was a rip off from Alien (the line "My god, you admire it" was in Scorpion Pt 2 and the original Alien with Sigourney weaver when she interrogates the android Ash after his head has been swiped off)

The Vulcans are boring, the Klingons were exciting

9. As a Chicano who has lived and worked in East LA, I feel that Klingons act and mythologize the mentality of gangsters. Honor, respect, death, family name, leadership, war. Saw too much of that, worked at Cal-Learn in LA, (which tried to get parenting &/or pregnant teens to finish high school). Those that belonged to gangs, saw no future beyond that moment(even if they had kids, some which were dressed out as gangsters; colors, buzz haircut, baggies).

Sorry, but I'd like the human race to at least make it to the next century and we may need to model after these boring Vulcans.

10. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Christ wet1, it's just a show. Isn't the point of entertainment to have fun? Part of that joy may involve pretending it's more than it is.

Or maybe I should just shut up, go watch sports and moan and complain that my favorite team didn't win while neglecting the realities of the world. Or perhaps I'll wrap myself in a shroud of pseudo-intellectualism, scratching my chin and complaining about everything, all the while posturing for social position and first mating privileges like a horny monkey.

I suppose my point is that the world is not important and is rarely interesting. Things are absurd, and caring or not caring about something is meaningless unless it brings you some personal pleasure.

Finally, in the sense that Star Trek (and more importantly the culture of a society) molds, shapes, and inspires the future minds of society, then yes, the cultural artifacts of society are a fine roadmap for the future.

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I can see Porfiry's point, but I also guess that there have been many people that have lost touch with reality over fictional shows and now they are stuck taking pills perscribed to them.

It's good to watch something fictional, perhaps take something from the strongest most heroic characters to better our own mortal coil but we shouldn't let it get out of hand... or Someones going to get a Vulcan death grip... (Okay, I know it was actually not real, the deathgrip had a story line of Spock fabricating that he killed Kirk)

I wouldn't of course class the program as a map to the future, I would mention though that researchers sometimes base their ideas on science fact. Take for instance Gene Roddenberry was suppose to have hung out at NASA to get ideas, and probably sat at a bar with some of the mission controllers to get a feel for the understanding of what was out there. (A bit like a writer sitting at a CERN bar, with mathmatics and equations passing across the table.)

Admittedly I'm still waiting for the Neuromancer film or a series, so I can go to Sprawl series conventions

12. esp Registered Senior Member

Stryder....

I don't see no points on your ears, boy, but you sound like a vulcan!!

13. Dracula's Guest Twisted firestarter Registered Senior Member

In resposne to Randolfo

Sorry, but I wasnt trying to comment on society as such but was making passing comments on characters on a TV show. Blokes with pointy ears dont hold much fascination for me, and personally I dont really think anyone should be modelling themselves on characters from Star Trek. It is just a TV show, and from that perspective, the Klingons had some thrlling storylines

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Esp "Live long and Prosper!"

I would say j/k but it's a good quote, but I'm not a Vulcan, I'm too emotional for that

15. Re: In resposne to Randolfo

I may have lived around & witnessed too much gang behavior & violence, (to much like the Klingons). I guess I must be biased against characters like them, since in real life I consider gangsters as violent, deluded, trouble-makers;
    1)they will start fights if it's an enemy gangster or if they think you have dishonored them in anyway (sometimes to the death)
    2)once they are in that 'world', all their lives are 'trapped' in it's grip, they see no way out, except death.
    3)because they have way too much time on their hands, either in jail, or while they hang out, they learn how to be tougher, more lethal, more scheming.
    It may be cool to be tough, but in the end all it leaves is a trail of tears. I feel that they are 'trapped' in a teenager-stage; were the need to belong is so strong with peer pressure, the mob mentality, violence, short-sightedness, and the easy availablity of sex and drugs sucks you in to a 'world', almost exactly like the movie "Training Day".

OK, too much philosophizing, sorry.