Another question for atheists: Morals...

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by skaught, Apr 10, 2008.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Pretty much.

Hindu atheists and for that matter even Muslims who do not believe in God do not feel compelled to go around making a production out of mocking those who do.

Since when are those American social norms?

Have you read this book? Now those are American social norms.

Yeah its pretty clear we have a demographic majority on ethnicity

/gags

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

This is interesting.

It seems that only fire and brimstone Christianity might produce the militant atheists, while other religions don't seem to.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

"Islam is a hoax, it is hallucination of a sick mind and nothing but lies and deceits."

http://www.apostatesofislam.com/

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

9. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Keep an open mind, be discilined/humble, be respectful to everyone, be loyal to those close to me, don't purposely humiliate people, and don't hurt or steal from anyone who didn't fuck with me first are some.
    Somewhat, but different aswell.
    They make life much better. There's no reason to start conflict, there are better things that I could be doing than fighting/arguing. There's not many people who I like, so I like to keep the friends that I make, and I'm not fond of others controlling me.
    What kind of question is that? How can there be morality if there is a god who controls our every actions for its divine plan?

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

She made it up to support her position. Are you surprised she would stoop so low as to lie?

11. redwards I doubt it Registered Senior Member

This is just your perception. The U.S. is one of the only nations which guarantees religious freedom and freedom of speech and has a significant religious population. In most other nations, religion is either not worth arguing about, or too dangerous to argue about. Atheists in the U.S. will naturally be most familiar with Christianity.

Think about what someone like Ayaan Hirsi Ali has to go through just to publicly admit atheism. Salman Rushdie, same deal. Leaders of nations publicly condone assassination attempts on these people.

There are famous atheists in other nations, you probably simply haven't heard of most of them.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Duh!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

I see you are still posting this crap after I and others debunked it a week ago. I'd appreciate it if you would stop doing these hit and run posts and actually allow your stupid beliefs to be challenged by debate. Seems you are a bit scared to do so.

Alturism. I don't believe it's non-beneficial to the individual. To give you some smaller scale examples (no running in burning homes), you can do something which someone else benefits from, and it has cost you time and effort, but it makes you feel good that you do it. It will likely increase your standing in a community. Mourning is alturistic, but people secretly enjoy it, don't they? I suspect people get a kick our of minute silences. The social solidarity it can create is as a whole beneficial. Those thousands of crying mourners on the street after the death of princess Diana were probably doing so for selfish reasons. Throwing roses in front of the hurse... give me a break! It screams of a therapeutic thrill which is probably a byproduct of a clan being strengthened as a unit after a tragic event.

I am speaking from personal experience here, so maybe in your eyes that just proves I'm not alturistic. But my point is, for me (and I think most other people) the moment you have done something altruistic and it then becomes acknowledged by others, it makes you feel good. Getting respect from your peers is something that not even a hardened skeptic like me can wipe from my genes.

Evolution and morality... You claim that evolution did create our entire bodies, but influencing our behavior is beyond it? That is simply stupid and pathetically naive. All of our behavior, good or bad, is straight from our past.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hmm I let that happen to me sometimes, I actually take people seriously. I should know better with SAM..

Duh? What good did that do ?

15. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

I still think that the content of particular religious beliefs makes the deciding difference in what the atheists in relation to a particular theism will be like.

I wasn't talking about famous atheists, but about militant, adamant atheists.

And I do know of famous atheists.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Like India?

17. redwards I doubt it Registered Senior Member

:shrug: There are famous Indian atheists.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

# Joseph Edamaruku (1934–2006): Indian journalist, author, leader in the rationalist movement, and winner of the International Atheist Award in 1979.

# Sanal Edamaruku (1955–): Indian rationalist, president of the Indian Rationalist Association

#Vinayak Damodar Savarkar (1883–1966): Indian revolutionary freedom fighter, and Hindu nationalist leader

#Bhagat Singh (1907–1931): Indian revolutionary freedom fighter

#Salman Rushdie (1947–): Indian-born British essayist and author of fiction.

#Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar (1910–1995): Indian American astrophysicist known for his theoretical work on the structure and evolution of stars. He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1983

We've been doing it a lot longer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cārvāka

19. redwards I doubt it Registered Senior Member

Uhh. The U.S. hasn't been around that long, and seriously, how the hell do you leave Gora off of that list?

20. Myles Registered Senior Member

I disagree with your first point. I am not interested in individual beliefs. I simply value reason over superstition.

21. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Not all Republicans fall into the trap of liberalism.

22. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Perhaps you were referring to M*W's Friendly Atheist Quotes (FAQs) of the Day:

"Do you think I am superstitious? I am a super-atheist." ~ Mohandas K. Gandhi

"The concepts of truth may differ. But all admit and respect the truth. That truth I call God. For sometime I was saying, "God is Truth," but that did not satisfy me. So now I say, "Truth is God." ~ Mohandas. K. Gandhi

and M*W's Anti-Bitterness Comments (ABCs) of the Day:

"The Mind is the key to Health and Happiness." ~ Sai Baba, Indian Spiritual Leader

and:

"A person who is not disturbed by the incessant flow of desires can alone achieve peace, and not the man who strives to satisfy such desires." ~ Bhagavad Gita

and:

"The moment the slave resolves that he will no longer be a slave, his fetters fall. He frees himself and shows the way to others. Freedom and slavery are mental states." ~ Mahatma Gandhi, 1869-1948, Indian Leader, Moral Teacher and Reformer

23. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Those are blue collar Northern American social norms.

As for American foreign policy, semi-clever people use an idealized version of WWII together with American social values to convince Americans they are freeing people via war or that war is an unwanted necessary or war is defensive.
    You should sympathize with this. That's exactly the same way you think about the Arab conquest of the Persians. Remember - when they handed out the candies and lollies.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!