Anorexia kills Brazilian model

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Sandoz, Nov 16, 2006.

1. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

The subject of this thread favoured apples and tomatoes, apparently. Exclusively. Obviously.

Such a shame. All that money and couldn't afford a Big Mac.

[/Cynical]

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

For $4.99, you can buy big tub of peanut butter. The brandI have is a total of 10,890 calories. So, if you are starving, buy a big tub of peanut butter

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sandoz Girl Named Sandoz Registered Senior Member

Yes, I'm sure she didn't think of that.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Tell that to governments of US and Israel, please.

8. Sandoz Girl Named Sandoz Registered Senior Member

OR you could tell that to Saddam Hussein and Sheik Ahmed Yassin.

9. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Half of its calories is from fat. So, we are talking about gaining about 1.5 pounds of fat.

10. Sandoz Girl Named Sandoz Registered Senior Member

Yeah, but the point is that anorexic girls don't die because they can't think of fatty stuff to eat, it's because they have a disease that makes them UNABLE to.

11. Roman Banned Banned

Arabs aren't people.

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I hereby declare all advertising illegal from now on.

This should sort out the problem.

13. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

It's not aneorexia that killed her. It's society, it's the media, it's all these spin doctors who say women must be thin.

Self esteem about body, or how you feel about body, is not due to nature, it's due to other people telling you how you should look, giving you dolls at a young age to put the idea into your head, etc.

14. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

You arent a person either. You are a brute.

15. Roman Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Grrrraaaaaaaaaaggghhhhh!!!

16. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Why does he have a beer belly?

17. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

It's not a disease, stop calling it that. That makes people who have eating disorders think it's their fault.

Sandoz, I expect better from you, I know you have a high self esteem, why use weak language like disease? It puts the blame on the woman, like shes the problem, when in reality the fashion industry created all this shit.

These women are products, created by the fashion industry. It's very much like many others in the media killing themselves. Do we say that drug addicts or gangsters who became that way because of the media, have a disease?

Anyway, you are a factual person, here is some evidence, some proof, in the video series killing us softly

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1993368502337678412

18. Roman Banned Banned

All frat boys have beer bellies.

19. Roman Banned Banned

I agree completely.
    There are no AIDS victims.
    Just AIDS sufferers.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Anorexia nervosa is a disease. Its an eating disorder with neurological components.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorexia_nervosa

21. Tyler Registered Senior Member

1. The word 'disease' tends to make someone feel like it's not their fault, not vice versa. A disease is something you get - not something you do.

2. Yes technically disease is the word used to describe it and many other lifestyles. I disagree with this choice. A disease should be something that simple will power cannot overcome. At the very least there are two types of diseases.

(i) ones that will power cannot resolve.
    (ii) ones that will power can resolve.

Anorexia is a lifestyle. A bad one, mind you, but still a lifestyle. And it is the woman or mans fault. Like any other lifestyle choice. That the fashion industry and other outlets largley influence the lifestyle choices of people is undoubtable. However I am a firm believer that we are still human beings who have an ability to chose our own lifestyle within the constraints of the law of our land. How much you let a cultural force affect you is ultimatly your decision. To say otherwise is to suggest that everyone should logically be simply bending to the norms of the industry in question.

There's a reason not every girl has anorexia. Some are more susceptible to industry images than others. It is only by their will power, guided by friends, family and therapists usually, that they can overcome this.

22. Roman Banned Banned

We conform to cultural standards because we are human, not inspite of it.

23. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

I think it's BS. Living in modern society is the disease. There was no such thing as eating disorders until thin became hyped as the way to be.

In tribal society, and in other countries, no one has this problem. It seems like a western problem, why is that?

Show me that people in Africa have eating disorders, or that the native Americans did, or that animals do, and then you'll convince me it's a biological disease and not a social problem.

I'm not one of the people who thinks that every social problem is a matter of brain disorders. Do you think racism is a brain disorder? Is it a disease? What about sexism? Is that a brain disorder? What about aggression and criminality?

You can reduce everything to a brain disorder but this does not change the fact that there are producers, products and entire industries set up to take advantage of these brain disordered people.

So my opinion, instead of calling the victims weak and disordered, or diseased, which we could call just about everyone, we should be thinking about what caused this specific brazillian to become a model in the first place, and what caused her to starve herself to death, and get a wide scope of the problem, otherwise it's just going to be another disease. Thinism is a lot like racism, it's the same way of thinking, do we call racists or thinists diseased because they want to promote their concept of beauty? No of course not, we only call the products the diseased.