Anime

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by CounslerCoffee, Jun 12, 2003.

1. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Draqon, you are way more cool then I gave you credit for.

Ergo proxy and Champloo are awesome.

Ever seen FMA, or Basilisk?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. saudade Unfiltered perspective... Registered Senior Member

Actually yea, I've been meaning to get steamboy for a while now. One of my friends has seen it and he loved it...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Saquist Banned Banned

Naruto: Ninja academy... (yeah, you heard me)... The main character is the cliché, squeaky voiced blonde who is somewhat scorned by many through his childhood, and hopes to be the "Hokage" or leader of his Village Hidden in The Leaves. This show gets extremely deep and dramatic, as well as hilarious. The animators seem to 'switch off' from episode to episode--thus sometimes the fights are absolutely amazing, and sometimes they're... (To any Naruto fans... Naruto vs. Kiba... we all know no one wants to see that crap again). Although slow to do so, as the plot unfolds and everything comes to place, you will find yourself sucked in and begging for more. (Even my sister, a total cynic toward the show and most anime grew to enjoy it more than I in the end.) 10/10

I concur. Naruto is one of the most original anime's in a long time, since Robotech at least. It engages the viewers and it inspires humanities better qualities rather than reveling in perversion as Anime has been known to do as of late. At the same time poking fun at the human body and human relations.

It's incredible how relaxed you can get from watching a Naruto episodes...But there is more. Naruto is INCREDIBLY consistent and detailed in it's plot and execution.

Avatar is also a very very well crafted cartoon taking us to the detail of martial art. The learning curve evident to the characters in both animes is strangly satisfiying verses the 30 minute characters american cartoons put out. They learn they're lesson only for the episode and never revisit a contining story line. Naruto and Avatar both have something special to offer the viewer.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Anyone seen "Planetes"?

I've caught a few episodes recently on Sky (their Anime network) and it seems very good - more sensible and serious than the typical "build massive robots or battle-suits" stuff.

8. draqon Banned Banned

OMG I have seen the Planetes...its an amazing anime. Although I must warn you the last of the 20's episodes are extremely violent...they overdid it a bit.

Also did you know that in USA, the "Planetes" anime is seen as propaganda of terrorists' cause?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

They don't want changes by revolutionaries there...

9. draqon Banned Banned

And Saquist...let me say this again, "Naruto" is the worst anime ever to exist in the history of this universe.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

anyone been watching Death Note on TV? I think its on Adult Swim.

11. draqon Banned Banned

yeah Death Note is pretty original...but the idea is so immoral, that even though the anime is nicely done and the anime is amazing and such I just cant watch it fully because the idea of controlling peoples' deaths is so morally wrong, its just wrong

12. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

I like Death Note a lot simply because the manner in which Light obtains his goals is not always blatantly obvious to me before the fact. His lies are often clever and surprising to me, and being surprised by something like that is not something I am used to when watching TV or movies.

That said, there is a bit of a Sherlock Holmes quality to it, by which I meant that many of Light's and L's insights into each other and the case are only astonishing because they are correct, and it would be amazing for anyone to reach the correct conclusions given the information each has about the other. It is, of course, less amazing when there are omniscient writers feeding the characters the answers.

Still, I watch it to see how Light will squirm out of being caught and have not be diappointed by that yet. Plus, I like that there is no physical combat in the show. Anime devolves too often into the "fight of the week" for my tastes (Bleach, I am looking at you...).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  13. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

Lights a dumb ass, I mean who do you think is the real master mind?

Ryuk only plays dumb. >

14. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I just finished reading the Berserk Manga up too volume 33. It's amazing..

15. draqon Banned Banned

Saw Berserk, hated it. it was too cheesy.

16. Transmute Registered Member

Berserk wasn't that bad, it would call it cheese. Naruto and Bleach are well unexceptional other then there fan base.

17. draqon Banned Banned

mehhh...naruto is also cheeeesy

18. Transmute Registered Member

I would just leave it at unoriginal, it has the same plot structure if all the "ninija" animes like DBZ, Bleach, etc. Don't get me started on that DBZ syndrome.

19. draqon Banned Banned

DBZ is amaaaaaazing.

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Don't tempt me. It was good but it spawned a horribly cliched plot structure that been used like a beaten zombie horse.

21. draqon Banned Banned

right one, lots imagery there brother.

well than what new horsey are we into now?

22. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Not sure haven't watch a good anime in awhile

23. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

I liked Bleach for a while, but the "fight of the week" format gets tired quickly. I am still liking Death Note for its combat-free goodness. My GF loves Blood+, and I've learned to tolerate it.