"And so, my truth is that I am a gay American,"...what a scoop!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Undecided, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Undecided Banned Banned

I was watching Inside Politics on CNN and they broke to a governor resignation in New Jersey, I was thinking to myself “that’s the second governor resignation in one year!” I was reading an article on the net not paying attention until this was uttered; "And so, my truth is that I am a gay American," I didn’t believe it at first because…it was just not realistic that someone would be gay and in the governorship. But I was proved wrong:

Today I coin “Gay day” because that’s been in the news very much today: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=39567

This was an inevitability, and here in Canada we have had gay mayors at least in Winnipeg. Since I am not from New Jersey (Thank God), and not an American who has such fake outrage over the topic of homosexuality, I wonder how you take this announcement?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Why focus on gay... why not coin this "Adulterous Affair Day"?

:m: Peace.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pangloss More 'pop' than a Google IPO! Registered Senior Member

I'm waiting for the other shoe to fall. There was some investigating going on about fundraising with this guy which so far had not reached his level yet, but one can't help but wonder.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Undecided Banned Banned

why not coin this "Adulterous Affair Day"?

The link tells you why…

8. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

Fake outrage you say? What you don't believe that Americans can be fantaticly mad homophobes? We have to fake it in your opinion?

9. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

No, it doesn't. You are focusing on the aspect that the Governor is gay...
    the real issue is the harrasment allegations being leveled against him.

10. Undecided Banned Banned

We have to fake it in your opinion?

No it’s not my opinion per se, I’m just reiterating what Bill Maher said about the American political psyche especially when dealing with gay marriage. I believe him, gay marriage is not a topic for politics as it is a topic for the courts. I think some Americans are deeply outraged by homosexuals in general, but most really are pretending to be religious…

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I think people would be outrage if he was gay and a republican.

12. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

And, since you have met most Americans, you are an obvious authority.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Peace.

13. Undecided Banned Banned

No, it doesn't. You are focusing on the aspect that the Governor is gay...

Without merit? It has merit, and one reason he seemingly resigned was because he was involved in a homosexual relationship cheating on his trophy wife. The link provided the homosexual situation in California. Today is still “gay day”.

the real issue is the harrasment allegations being leveled against him.

Yes homosexual harassment is it not?

14. Undecided Banned Banned

And, since you have met most Americans, you are an obvious authority.

Do most Americans go to church…?

15. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

You quite obviously know them all, so you tell us...

16. Undecided Banned Banned

I would imagine that no most Americans don't go to Church, and at least 10% are atheist.

17. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

So now we move from your statement presented as fact, to your imagination.
    Have you ever lived in New Jersey, or was that an unsupportable comment as well?

18. Undecided Banned Banned

So now we move from your statement presented as fact, to your imagination.

I asked a rhetorical question to your question: Do most Americans go to church…? I didn’t assert anything but that, then when pushed I had the balls to provide an answer to your pestering. So don’t misconstrue my arguments for some points. I never presented it as fact…all I stated is that most Americans are pretending to be religious, that is exemplified best in the notion of toleration of divorce but not gay marriage.

Have you ever lived in New Jersey, or was that an unsupportable comment as well?

Where did I say I did? Re-read the thread, and please highlight these accusations made against me.

19. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Sure you did, let me quote it again:

...but most really are pretending to be religious…
    I was unaware that asking for supporting fact was pestering - I'll remember your thin skin in the future.
    What accusations? You said...
    ...making it sound as if being from New Jersey was a bad thing. I merely inquired as to whether you had ever lived there, or was your disparaging comment based (again) on your imagination?

20. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

But to get back to your topic...

Gov. McGreevey is not resigning because he's gay. He's resigning because he's been cheating on his wife, gives the appearance of corrupt behavior, and is under allegations of harrassment.

I couldn't care less about about who's diddling whom, but the Cipel story should be the focus of your discussion. McGreevey goes to Israel, takes a liking to basically some random fellow he meets, brings him back, pays for his naturalization, gives him a job he has no qualifications for, and when folks raise a stink, keeps him on the payroll (to the tune of $110K a year) as an "advisor" with no specific duties.

To allow the Governor to convince you it is a "gay" thing would be to put you in the same wagon as all the other dupes who might believe that.

21. Undecided Banned Banned

...but most really are pretending to be religious…I was unaware that asking for supporting fact was pestering - I'll remember your thin skin in the future.

Firstly I did edit my post in recognition of my initial position on religion. But I supported the stance that most Americans aren’t really all that religious by the populations tacit support not even toleration of divorce, abortion, and other such things that are considered to be anti-religious in nature. What I am asking for Americans to do is to ask themselves are they more religious then they are humanist or what? Most Americans do not support homosexual marriage, yet most do support divorce. So where do you expect me to believe that most Americans aren’t engaging in “fake outrage”? Secondly there aren’t many support facts to be had, religion and secularism is more a state of mind then a state of statistics. I’m Catholic and I went to a Catholic school, yet most of my peers had sex. Think about it…its not thin skin because it is in our faces everyday.

...making it sound as if being from New Jersey was a bad thing. I merely inquired as to whether you had ever lived there, or was your disparaging comment based (again) on your imagination?

No I haven’t lived in New Jersey granted, nor did I actually believe one would consider that to be a serious point of contention. There is something called a joke, odd as it may be I know but we aren’t all so very anal. I know looking at New Jersey it is Mecca of suburbia, not for me thank you. Unless of course I have to live in New Jersey to know it exists…

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Empiricism gone to far Goofy…

22. Undecided Banned Banned

Gov. McGreevey is not resigning because he's gay. He's resigning because he's been cheating on his wife, gives the appearance of corrupt behavior, and is under allegations of harrassment.

The whole premise of this being a story of importance is because he is a homosexual. I don’t think that is a bad thing, but many people do. I even stated in the initial post I asked you the American to discuss about this: Since I am not from New Jersey (Thank God), and not an American who has such fake outrage over the topic of homosexuality, I wonder how you take this announcement?

To allow the Governor to convince you it is a "gay" thing would be to put you in the same wagon as all the other dupes who might believe that.

I don’t live in New Jersey, and I wouldn’t care about this story if it were just another resignation. But the governor made this into a story that is interesting to all of us. I don’t think it is even remotely fair to call me or others “dupes” because this is a story, a tangent most certainly but still a story.

23. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

His sexuality is of zero actual importance. It is the spin he is attempting to foist
    on you - and it is apparently working since you believe it is the central premise.