An other showoff death

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by arauca, Oct 9, 2012.

1. arauca Banned Banned

Related Content

This frame grab made from video on Friday, Oct. 5, 2012, and provided by John-Patrick McNown shows Edward Archbold competing in a roach-eating contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, Fla. Archbold, 32, winner of the contest, died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday, Oct. 8. Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death. (AP Photo/Courtesy John-Patrick McNown)Enlarge Photo

This frame grab made from video …
    This frame grab made from video on Friday, Oct. 5, 2012, and provided by John-Patrick McNown shows Edward Archbold competing in a roach-eating contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, Fla. Archbold, 32, winner of the contest, died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday, Oct. 8. Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death. (AP Photo/Courtesy John-Patrick McNown)Enlarge Photo

MIAMI (AP) — The winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday.

About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night's contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 40 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.

Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the store, according to a Broward Sheriff's Office statement released Monday. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.

The medical examiner's office said Tuesday it has sent samples of Archbold's remains for testing, but results are not expected for another week or two.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Presumably the roaches and worms are not poisonous - no one else got sick. If I had to take a guess I'm going to say he died of anaphylactic shock. Roach shit is a well known allergen. It could also be possible he just happened to pick up a roach or worm that was itself sick with a microbe which was releasing a toxin dangerous to humans, ate it, and died as that roach was being digested and the toxin made its way into his blood causing an acute myocardial infarction. They really didn't say much other than he just dropped over, so, it's really hard to say.

Anyone else want to venture a pie in the sky guess as to how he met his maker ... yuck yuck... damn dark humor

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. arauca Banned Banned

But, he died very fast, the autopsy will be very interesting

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Once underway anaphylactic shock can happen in under a minute. Similarly, acute myocardial infarction.... well, imagine how long you can last without the blood pressure needed to perfuse your tissues. I'm not an expert on allergens but, everyone knows roaches are sources of allergic symptoms. I do happen to know the heart relatively well, and so I think AMI is just bias on my part

I'll plant my flag on anaphylaxis induced suffocation. He munched down on some roach shit, suffered a massive allergic reaction, his windpipe closed, he suffocated to death. Probably had someone there bothered to puncture his windpipe... maybe he'd be alive? Put, then he'd probably have sued them, so... meh. Welcome to America! Where Darwin rules supreme!

Did I mention the dark humour kick I'm on this week???