An elegant explanation of the Opera FTL results

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Tach, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Reiku Banned Banned

Well, I think we might have it backwards. Even what CptBork has mentioned and I say this with the highest respects.

See, vacuum fluctuations would primarily be a quantum electrodynamic effect by zero point energy. Zero point energy is an electromagnetic phenomenon. It is possible that most matter we deal with today is effected by this vacuum energy all the time.

However, a Neutrino does not act electromagnetically, so what if the speed of a neutrino is observed because it does not have this electromagnetic back-reaction? It should even move smoother through the vacuum than any other particle known. If it had interacted with the zero point energy field, then it might be possible to say that it's speed would be observed less than ''c''. But since it can't according to theory, then maybe it is being observed moving faster due to not being effected by interactions of a vacuum.

That is to say, the observed speed of neutrino's which exceed ''c'' might be a question of the medium energy. This is highly speculative, but it's a theory I've considered since hearing the news. In fact, it was brought up in a conversation by myself and someone else here in this forum.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.