Americans switching or losing faith

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by mikenostic, Feb 25, 2008.

1. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I didnt know that god had a secret passcode mandated for answering the prayers of those in need.:shrug:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

Well now you know. So now you can thank ME when they come true. KIDDING!!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Are you god?!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

I'm glad to see denominationalism going to hell. It's not logical. There's one God, one law, one Christ, and one bride for Him. And that equals one church, not 87 different denominations that focus on how they're DIFFERENT from other denominations. Yeah we where our hair different from you so we're just going to segregate, and pretend God loves us more because of our hairdos. Why not appreciate each other's differences and what we have in common? That being the love of God and our salvation through Christ.

8. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

No, I just look like Him.

9. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

But just that kind of thinking is a just denominationalism of a different type:

Okay so now we are all united one god one christ, so obviously we are better then the other people who dont believe in christ, and man we are way better then the ones who have more than one god. Its really no different

10. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

Dude...that's why I don't GO to church. Instead I just live my life surrounded by all kinds of people that I love. I love how we're all different and so I don't expect everyone else to be like me or vice versa. God made us all different...

11. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

Well you know, except for serial killers and stuff. Hanging with them could be dangerous.

edit...

I shouldn't really say that. People witness all the time in prisons, and on death row. I'm glad someone does.

12. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Well I expect everyone to be like me...or at least like me

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No surprise. I would not call American Christianity very Christian.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I see a lot of small churches around here dying. Just a lot of old people and no new young families. People want entertainment with their religion, so the huge super churches are growing like crazy.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

When the Religious Redneck Retard Revival was in full swing in the early 1980s and the hippies were becoming "born again" en masse to atone for all the fun they'd had, a friend who'd been raised as a "Christian" Christian said to me: "The only part of the religion these people came for is the forgiveness."

16. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Not exactly. That is the manner in which we should pray. But we should never pray that prayer word for word. If you do that then it is just another structured prayer, a mindless chant without personal meaning.

I guess the first prayer one prays would be to ask for the wisdom to know what to pray for. The next best prayer is to pray a prayer of acceptance that Gods will shall be done.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

17. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

Well Adstar, it happens to be a perfect represtentation of my seniment, so as long as I mean it when I say it, I don't see what the problem is. You know, there are times when I pray more specific prayers, regarding different things. I've had conversations with God too about various things. But in general, the Lord's prayer perfectly states my intention towards Him and my life and this world at all times, and regardless of any circumstances.

18. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Adstar has questioned your doctrine. You should declare holy war upon him.

19. oreodont I am God Registered Senior Member

Religious adherence is vastly over rated. Many folks have either shed the mythology or, more commonly, don't give a darn.

As my 16-year-old visiting nephew declared loudly last week: "How can people believe in that crap!" I asked him if any of his firiends were Jesus believers and I might as well asked if any still believe in Sant Clause.

There's hope for this world

20. oreodont I am God Registered Senior Member

Your friend was wrong. As most Christian whackos are usually out of touch with reality and are wrong. They 'come' to the religion to belong and buy into something. If it was on Borneo the same individuals would join the Cannibal sect. It has nothing to do with 'forgiveness'.

21. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: That's exactly how I feel as an atheist... being around the people that I love. I just don't think a god had anything to do with it. Mostly it happened because of me and what I wanted in my life and in the lives of those whom I love. Love works.

M*W's Friendly Atheist Quote (FAQ) of the Day:

"Whatever we cannot easily understand we call God; this saves much wear and tear on the brain tissues." ~ Edward Abbey

M*W's Anti-Bitterness Comments (ABCs) of the Day:

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is to live inside that hope. Not admire it from a distance but live right in it, under its roof." ~ Barbara Kingsolver, b. 1955 American Novelist

22. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: I see that, too, in a city upwards of 4.5 million people. Small churches are being torn down due to lack of congregations. There are a couple of big ones like Lakewood Church and First and Second Baptist Churches. The whole shebang seems so fakey to me. I've actually attended Second Baptist with a good friend who tried to save my soul, and I just sat there the whole time listening to the pastor thinking in my head, "what a liar you are!" I told my friend I just couldn't go there anymore, and you know what? He quit going there or anywhere else! Maybe I made some sense to him. Maybe he figured it out on his own, but I tell you what, today he respects what I tell him, and he's told me he's learned a lot from me. We're still the best of friends!

As far as I'm concerned, every last church could crumble to the ground and the lies would stop.

23. John99 Banned Banned

M*W, perhaps you have an aversion to all things religious.