American Media :: Conservative Or Liberal?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by goofyfish, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Tadpole_Terror Registered Senior Member

I agree with most of your first two statements newguy, and I've stated the same thing. FOX is the king of packaging and attention grabbing production. Pretending that those two facts are <FONT COLOR=BLACK><FONT SIZE=1><FONT FACE="TIMES NEW ROMAN"><B>the</B></FONT></FONT></FONT> reason for it's success is tantamount to sticking your head in the sand.

Your second two observations are nothing more than personal opinions. They sound silly to me but if it's how you view politics what can I say?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

Welcome newguy. gees I think I posted something about the news breaking away to a high speed chase.

The news media is definitley market driven and will do whatever it takes to keep up with the competition. Fox seems to have taken the lead temporarily. Short blunt sensational dialog seems to be prevalent on Fox. Bomb Saddam! Saddam is evil! A war with Iraq will free the world! we break away to a high speed chase!! I see no great victory for conservatism in that genre of broadcasting. If the conservatives see it, they must be looking through that telephoto lens you mentioned.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tadpole_Terror Registered Senior Member

The breakthrough is that the top rated cable news network reflects conservative opinions. I keep stating the truth about FOX's snappy and attention getting packaging.. it's a given! This has undoubtably helped FOX New's ratings.

On the other side it seems that the left can't seem to stomach the fact that most Americans tune in to that network to get their news. Rather than face the stark truth that FOX is viewed as a more legitamate news source than the other cable news networks it is explained away by disparaging it's viewers.

It's hard to see most of the replies here as anything other than typical liberal dogma.. programs containing an opposing point of view are either a) stupid b) racist or c) untruthful.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Actually, I'm just put off by programming that is a), b), and c).

8. Tadpole_Terror Registered Senior Member

I can hazard a guess that you can add d) truthful to that list.. That is, if the truth is something you would rather not believe.

9. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Please tell me something true, that you think I can't accept as truth, Tadpole. Perhaps you have a point: Try any headline or reporting point (remember, it must be demonstrably true) and I will be happy to respond.

Since "FOX is viewed as a more legitamate" this shouldn't take you much effort. Right?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2003
  10. immane1 Registered Senior Member

I hope for your sake, goofyfish, you are just posting this question to spur conversation and not because you actually do not know. If you do not see what is going on in the world today, you probably do not care enough to know. In GENERAL, I have discovered the following is true:
    1. TV news-liberal
    2. TV in general is liberal (West Wing, Boston Public, Oprah, etc. )
    3. Radio news-liberal
    4. Radio talk shows-conservative
    5. Internet-conservative ( Top news sites )
    6. Newspapers-liberal ( All top selling newspapers have a liberal editorial staff )

As to why, that's a whole different topic.
    Hope this helps ya.

11. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

That's part of my job as a mod...
    It certainly must be wonderful to be able to render judgement on others after
    spending a mere two days in a text-only environment. I do wish I had that skill.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:m: Peace.

12. immane1 Registered Senior Member

Don't be so defensive. I am just having fun here. I was merely stating that we all choose to spend time doing things we care about differently. Sorry to be so vague. (Must be why I enjoy the Simpsons so much.) Researching politics and history is not attractive to everyone. I try not to judge anyone "at first glance".

13. jps Valued Senior Member

Can anyone who believes the corporate media is liberal give an example of this bias?

14. immane1 Registered Senior Member

From whom would you like a liberal quote from?

15. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

jps, Of course it's Liberal, you inferior Pinko scum! It's everywhere! Donahue. doh-OK Well there's TV Nation... hmm canceled, well, they let that Ritter guy on a coupla months ago, and I heard someone scheduled Chomsky once- Look, those dam Liberals are so sneaky, see, they have disguised themselves as true Americans! They're all over the media. We must root them out of their holes, and expose them. You are either with us or against us:bugeye:

16. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

Dam, talk about corporate bias, Fox news just reported that the Pillsbury Dough Boy voted for GW.

17. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Yes, but the more shocking recent development is that he was recognized training in urban warfare in an al-Qaeda video. Sources say he was recruited by Evil Bert.

18. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

In general

(1) Members of the media are generally more liberal than conservative
    (2) The media follows its commercial market
    (3) As 2000 and 2002 elections show, there's not much difference between Democrats and Republicans

So think about it for just a moment. The media seems to be more conservative these days than it was a few years ago, but that's largely because delivery of news is a business, something at which conservatism sells.

As CNN and other markets become more conservative, though, it is a slight variation on previous phenomena. It represents an economic power game: there is still a huge left in the United States. Nobody with any money on the table in the news or political game cares, though.

It's why the Dems lost the White House in 2000 and Congress in 2002. Why would people vote for imitator Republicans? If you're going to screw yourself, why not do it with the real McCoy? Why screw yourself with a knockoff dildo?

:m:,
    Tiassa

19. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I said my piece on page 1, that media bias is not a liberal/conservative thing, but a power thing. I think this story illustrates well why it is the largely only the media's conformist corporate herd that is heard.

20. jps Valued Senior Member

immane1,
    Any tv reporter will do.

hypewaders,
    Chomsky makes it on to tv now and then, its pretty safe to let chomsky on as he doesn't do well with soundbites. Have you ever heard him speak? He's not exactly good at being concise...its a safe bet that giving him 60 seconds on the air while being harangued by a right-wing newsman won't allow him to get any of his relatively complex views out.
    TV nation and Awful Truth were great, but they didn't last long and weren't available on any of the major networks.
    Oh, and Ritter's a Republican Bush-voter. The fact that he refuses to lie about Iraq doesn't make him a liberal.

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The latest on Ritter

A close associate whose opinion I used to value--back before this war against the world started--recently dismissed Mr. Ritter as "either bought off or being extorted by Saddam's agents. His family is threatened."

Now, it seems to me that this is a huge step. It sounds almost mythical to me that a petty thug in the middle of nowhere has the power to blackmail or extort a former UN weapons inspector without the world taking notice. Crap, you can't even bitch about a writer in Iran without getting accused of violating human rights (

)

Questions not yet answered in the American media:

(1) So, uh ... what was that about "aluminum tubes", guys?
    (2) Why has nobody put Mr. Ritter's claims to rest and demonstrate that a truck-mounted bioweapons laboratory is feasible?

I still hold as one of my favorite moments from this whole melodrama footage imported from Europe (it was too precious to black out) of a German diplomat suddenly changing languages from German to English to make sure that Don Rumsfeld knew exactly what he was saying. Rumsfeld took it poorly, to judge by his expression; and that is one of the reasons I distrust him--he knew exactly what the diplomat was doing:

- Making a passive-aggressive play after the famous "Don't wait for the translation, Mr. Ambassador!" showdown in the UN during the missile crisis
    - Implying that Don Rumsfeld was so stupid that he wouldn't understand the translation.

Now, of the first, yes, it was conscious that he was going to make his point without translation. Of the second, that may be more inherent of the tactic. But I don't think Rumsfeld could have looked more pissed if you'd beaten his children.

:m:,
    Tiassa

22. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

wish I could have seen it, Tiassa. I also would have liked to have seen his face when he learned of today's vote in Turkey. jps, I'm sure your pigeonholing is correct, but my point is the lib/dem party lines, and who falls where, is immaterial. IMNHO this country has a 2-party majority better described as Lemmings and Sheep, who spend more time haggling over who is which, than clearly debating problems and solutions that both species share.

23. immane1 Registered Senior Member