Alternates to anti-biotics

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by MacGyver1968, Dec 7, 2007.

1. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I have an infection in one my teeth that is causing my cheek to swell, and is causing me a great deal of pain. Unfortuately, I won't have the money to go to the dentist for a couple of weeks, and the clinic down the street wants $150 dollars just to write me a prescription for an anti-biotic. (which I don't have)

Does anyone know of any homepathic remedies for this or any other suggestions...or any suppliments I can take to boost my immune system, to help my body fight the infection.

Any help would be greatly apprieciated.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear about your ailments.

These could work:

Sage tea or chamomile tea. Rinse and gargle your mouth with it well, 2-3 times a day. Sage is stronger and more efficient than chamomile.
    You should be able to buy either in a health store or even in a grocery store.

Myrrhae Tinctura - myrrh tincture. Very good for infections in the mouth. It might be possible to get it in a health store, but probably you will have to go to a pharmacy, and I'm not sure you'll get it there. These things are hard to get by these days.

Propolis. Also quite good. You should be able to get it in a health food store or pharmacy with no problems.

I have all of it at home, plus some other herbal remedies that might help. I wish I could bring you that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I hope you'll get well soon.

P.S.
    Do the sage tea treatment in the morning before you go to work. Camomile inbetween if the sage is too strong. Propolis before you go to bed.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Mac, I'm sorry to hear that.

Those home remedies won't work. The infection is in your jaw not on your skin.
    I have had this several times and the only advice I can give you is to get the money somehow.. Do you have any family/friends that you can borrow from ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

No, they won't work in the long run. They can only superficially reduce the swelling a bit.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

The swelling is not the cause it is only a symptom. It is fluid from dead white blood cells and bacteria.

Mac:
    The fact that you have a large swelling is a sign your body can't cope with the inflammation. You need antibiotics Mac.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Oh and LOTS of rest, no matter what the doctor says.
    I have first hand experience with this. If you don't take your rest there is a real risk it will come back.

11. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Thank you all so much...I very much appreciate it! I may have to break down and borrow some money from my parents.

Thanks again.

I think I may just have to go down to the public hospital and wait in line for a day, as my condition would rank extremely low on the triage priority.

12. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Mac,

Just an idea - Could you create an emergency fund, so that you have some money ready just in case something happens? So that next time some ailment comes -and as you age, it probably will- you'll be better prepared.

13. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Well, I just got a call from dad, he's going to front me the money. So relief will come soon.

I wish I could Greenberg. I'm currently working as a temp and am making 25-50% less than the going rate for computer techs and am struggling each month to make ends meet. As soon as my company gets off it's ass and hires me full time, I will get insurance and a raise in pay....today is my 8 month anniversary with the company, and I talked to my boss about it...never could get a firm answer. Hopefully things will work out, or I'll just look for another position...'cause every company needs a "MacGyver" fix-it guy

Again, thank you for your concerns.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Great, I hope everything goes well

15. vslayer Registered Senior Member

gin and manuka honey are both good remedies for infection, however if you just want antibiotic, go to the local vet and buy some, cost about $30 per treatment from there.

16. draqon Banned Banned

Grapefruit seed extract: This extract is a powerful all-around antimicrobial product and is an excellent disinfectant. Grapefruit seed extract has a wide variety of uses and comes in a liquid, capsules and tablets. For antiseptic uses make a solution of 4-40 drops in four ounces of water and apply to the affected areas

17. draqon Banned Banned

18. draqon Banned Banned

19. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Really? 'Cause I love me the HAIL out of some cashews...I could eat cashews all day long, thanks Draqon.

I got some Penicillin in me now...so it's only a matter of time.

Y'all rock

20. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Put an ice cube in your mouth...thats what I once used as an anesthetic while waiting for a dental appointment.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hi Mac, did it ever come back again (I mean after the first time it came back)?
    I woke up this morning with a golf ball in my cheek again. And, yep, it's the very same tooth.
    I'm going to go for an operation this time. This fucking thing just won't go away..

It's starting to hurt now because of the pressure. I look like a.. well, I don't know what I look like, but it ain't pretty

I'm calling the dentist tomorrow..

22. John99 Banned Banned

Enmos, what kind of operation?

23. sandy Banned Banned

I have never heard of an alternate that works. I hope you found one. You can get antibiotics for $4 at WalMart, get some from a friend, or maybe go online? Do you have any kind of doctor/friend who would prescribe them?
    Enmos' thing sounds like an inflamed root/infected tooth. Need a root canal?