(alpha) Reinventing Sciforums -2- Transparency and Council of Great Old Ones

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Avatar, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Gustav Banned Banned

in 05-21-03, 04:41 AM, this guy ........

4 years later i make my usual cryptic shit

ombudsman

two days ago,i repeat suggestion

with this latest and detailed effort by the tard avatar, let us implement , in sci tradition
    theory
    trial and error
    experimentation

/snigger

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kadark Banned Banned

Who deleted my posts in this thread?

Kadark

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

it was me
    your stealth mod

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

/awed

oh gussie!
    you are so fabulously enlightened and they are not

/smooch

8. Kadark Banned Banned

My mistake.

My posts weren't deleted from this thread; they were deleted from the first alpha thread.

Nevertheless, the question remains, "who deleted my posts?"

And why? Stryder was replying to them, so it's not like they were mindless or offensive. Sure, they exposed Tiassa like a see through bra, but still.

Kadark

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Kardark, These threads were attempting Alpha rules and to be honest we all got off-topic so they were all purged (including my own) If you want to comment more about it, generate another thread for your discourse.

10. Kadark Banned Banned

No, that's fine. It just seems as if whenever I expose Tiassa, my posts are deleted. At least James has the courtesy to leave my posts be, even if he does choose to ban me for two weeks instead.

Kadark

11. amethyst08 Registered Senior Member

I also like this idea, Avatar (sorry, I just read it just now).

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thanks for your confidence in me, but I am here less than 3 year (in fact my new account has just been here for few days

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

), so we can skip my name. I would support this people to be on the council: One_Raven, Avatar, Cosmictraveler, Dr. Lou, Kadark, Enmos, Ashura, Nietzschefan,.. maybe I left some which I don't remember for now. But I am all for transparency.

12. Balerion Banned Banned

I encountered something similar in another forum, where the MODs (including myself) felt we had this superiority over the regular posters. It led to many MOD-battles and eventually to me leaving a site I had been a part of for more than 10 years.

The one thing I'll take with me is the ridiculous nature of hiding information from posters. This includes having a hidden moderator forum in which "what is said in here stays in here" is employed. It's bogus, and leads to trouble, because it sows those seeds I spoke of before.

The best option available is to swap moderators constantly. Give them a shelf-life, if you want. None of this kingdom BS.

13. Bells Staff Member

Hmmmmm..

My point, Gustav, is if a member files a complaint against one of the more 'popular' members, that individual could then become the victim of a site vendetta.. In that those who like the one who is the subject of the complaint, could end up making the complainant time here an absolute nightmare (eg. flaming, trolling, harassment). And that is unfair to the member who files the complaint. If the oversight committee is able to look past their own likes and dislikes and consult with each other before taking screenshots and posting them (which is what was proposed) and also to ensure the identities of the complainants is kept private, then I honestly would have no problems with it, to be honest. There seems to be this belief that we are all some kinds of evil ghouls plotting against members and beating on drums excitedly at the prospect of banning someone.

In that regard, I think having an Ombudsman is a good idea. But it needs to be someone every member trusts to look out for the best interest of the site and not their own best interest.. eg.. the Ombudsman is not just going to look out for the interests of his/her friends or people he/she likes and damn everyone else.

Of course he/she should. But we also have to guarantee that members can feel free to approach a moderator and file a complaint without fear that he/she is going to be harassed about it later on by friends of the accused. As I said above, I have no problem with an Ombudsman overseeing us to ensure we aren't acting outside of our role. Someone who can understand that sometimes we do get cranky or even angry and that we do at times have a bit of a rant and seek solutions from our fellow moderators and the administrators and not assume that we're about to take an axe and go on a banning spree.. And someone who will guard the complainant's privacy in weighing up whether our actions in dealing with said complaint is not a breach of our 'mod powers', before alerting the forum of a possible breach.

Refer to above.

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

your kidding right?

Firstly THIS IS NOT A FUCKING COUNTRY. Its a private company, so if you want to link to anything you should link to work place legislation which states that the rights of an employee to make a complaint against another member of staff shall be protected. The employer will keep this infomation confidentual and NO ACTION may be taken against the employee either as a result of the infomation leaking OR directly. This is the duty of care that all employers have and work cover will fine or even has the power to close down a buiness which doesnt follow it.

Secondly which country would you like to base this on?
    China is as valid as the US right?
    how about we base our prodicures on iranian law would that satisfy you?

15. Gustav Banned Banned

/cackle

you are such a klutz
    the redeeming factor is that you are an earnest klutz

/snigger

i mean, with sfog staring at you,do you not understand the role of this goddamn forum? an intended simulation of a civic society in cyberspace?

i mean sure porf presented paypal to us
    sure those of a fascist bent always delighted at the notion that the owners can do as they damn well please

pfft
    maggot
    they cannot
    they do as we wish
    and what we want has endured since sci's inception

if an environment is fostered that is inimical to our notions of wellbeing, sci as we know it, the community that attracts and keeps people here will be history.

another run of the mill science forum
    one might as well go back to school
    i mean why put up with sources that are suspect?

plazma and co were gung ho at first
    they were subsequently led into the light by the mods and community alike
    they listened
    and sci is better than ever

so
    fuck off, assguard

"employee" my goddamn ass!

i am a citizen of sci and you fucks serve me!
    our content pays your goddamn bills!

16. Gustav Banned Banned

/eek/rotflmao

17. Gustav Banned Banned

ahhh

you cheeky wee monkey!
    you coochy wooky pooky poo!

/chucks chin/ruffles hair

18. Gustav Banned Banned

bells

the devil is in the details but i am sure you mods can figure something out
    at the very least, a civics lesson, at the very most, a sci that corners on rails

btw
    your clauses can be critiqued quite easily
    give it a shot

/smile

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

your right, i was being WAY to leanient by using work place legislation as an example. I should have used the "public house" (pub) legisation. Under those laws there IS no right of apeal, no rights at all infact. If the owner or staff ask you to leave and you refuse FOR ANY REASON, you will be fined $3000 or so. You can also be forcably ejected by the owner or the police with no reason as to why. This is because it dates back to the time when pubs were peoples houses and you have ultimate authority on who is and isnt alowed in your house

20. Gustav Banned Banned

you of all people should know sci was/is partly a collaborative exercise on part of porf/plazma and the community alike.

the structure, some fori, were due to community wants and needs.
    our input
    for instance .... forum changes, attracting new contributors

do you see?
    do not do plazma a disservice by making him out to be some evil nazi pig
    from what i can ascertain, he is a decent guy and i like that

21. Gustav Banned Banned

could someone reacquaint asguard with the tos and the notions of fairplay and justice we painstakingly labor to uphold?

/bewildered

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

you wish to apeal to legislation its quite easy for me to find legislation to surport the oposite argument. Especially if i was to look at china or the middle east.

We both know that its a false argument though because this place is not a country, the only rules which matter here (well ok there are laws which apile but not in this case) are the ones the management CHOSE to impliment. There is no court you can go to who would take a case for being "unfairly treated by being banned from sciforums"

23. Gustav Banned Banned

play the masochist long enough and i will oblige
    for now, i'll pussyfoot instead

so dear asguard
    what do you know of plazma's aspirations for this place?
    how and why this thread? what can be extrapolated by its existence in sci?

/dumbed down and bored