All Fantasy RPG gamers

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by seekeroftheway, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Azael Registered Senior Member

I disagree. By the time a monk gets through a kensai/mage's stoneskin, not to mention mirror image and other defenses, a kensai/mage could have cast lower resistance enough for the monk to have zero magic resistance. The +3 attack modifier really means nothing at high levels. On top of this the kensai/mage can summon a swarm of monsters, or simply timestop and run up to the monk and start hacking away.

I've killed high level dragons and demons in one timestop alone, it's crazy. And with some lower resistance and greater malison, the monk will fall after one finger of death.

I'm currently soloing watchers keep and the ToB expansion with a lvl 12/20 kensai/mage, dual-wielding crom-fayer and the celestial fury. Thac0 is -13 on each arm, and and AC is down to -7 without any buffing spells. With tensers transformation I have 240hp and 6 attacks per round, and various items allow me to cast level 7 spells with a 0 time casting factor.
    Every group of high level demons in watchers keep, as well as the hordes of fire giants all look helpless in comparison.

Quivering palm isn't really that great either, because it seldom works on the enemies you really need it for.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

On top level, the monk gets his armor class down to negative 10, I very very very rarely missed, and I've had mages cast lower resistance on me before and it didn't seem to do much, even without the magic resistance I usually still saved against most spells. Plus, even if you did hurt me badly, I'm almost three times as fast as any other character in the game, I can't be slowed or hasted, so I can just run away, use lay on hands to heal, then come back and beat you down again.

Even then, the sorcerer flat out could take down the kensai. I loved the system the sorcerer was under with spells. He can make himself totally invulnerable, he can reflect magic back at the caster, he can become totally invisible and undetectable, so even if you did cast time stop I could be laughing at you all the way cause you wouldn't be able to hit me anyway. Meanwhile I can summon pit fiends and balor's and crap to come kick the crap out of you, or, if you're bugging me enough, I can just imprison you. Imprison was the best spell in that whole friggin game. You can't save against it, and it's effects are pretty much irrevocable. I just cast it on you and you get poofed into an impenetrable bubble miles below the center of the earth for the rest of eternity.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Azael Registered Senior Member

With spell immunity to divination and improved invisibility, the sorceror can't touch the kensai/mage. And I think you're missing the point about AC. My level 12/20 kensai mage has a natural AC of -5, with buffs I can get it well below -10. As for not being able to hit you, that is simply not true. even if you were at -15 AC, my char would have a 50% chance of hitting you. With 6 attacks per round, you would go down in one timestop. Just do the math.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

Even in a video game, you can't put everything on numbers. My Monk's NATURAL armor class is -10. Even then, his dexterity modifier is insanely high, so your chances of hitting him combined with the amount of damage you think you'll do when you actually do hit him make your chances of beating him slim at best. Plus, as a monk, (based on reality, of course)he doesn't rely on his sight or magic to see you, his other senses, as well as his sight, are so adept that he could probably still hear your heartbeat, or sense your energy when you moved. That's an effect they should've had in the game that would've made it more realistic.

I suppose with the Sorcerer and your character, we're at a stalemate. We can't see eachother, and we both do freakish amounts of damage. One catch though, pit fiends and balors can still detect you regardless of how much magic you use to hide yourself. I've tried. And I know your awesome power dwarfs that of a demon, but even you would break under sheer numbers. That or I can summon that Djinni and have him make me an ARMY OF BUNNIES to kill you.

8. Azael Registered Senior Member

I specifically said groups of demons. All I really need to say is that there was never really a challenging fight while I was soloing the BGII expansion.

9. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

Fine, I'll make it easy and imprison you before you make a move. There's no saving throws or resistance for imprison. And it's effects are permanent unless someone casts freedom where I imprisoned you. Which I doubt anyone will do.

10. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

*casts freedom*

heh.

11. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

Gee, thanks. *casts imprison again*

12. Azael Registered Senior Member

countering imprison is easy. How else could my kensai/mage have killed the demilich solo?

13. Azael Registered Senior Member

Actually, fuck this. Why don't you just put your monk against my kensai mage 1 on 1. I'm calling you out!

14. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

Nah, not worth the effort. I seriously don't care who's better, because technically we're on the same side.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Sadly, that's something people under the Taliban were never allowed to enjoy.

16. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

People under the taliban weren't allowed to enjoy. Period.