Alexander the NOT SO Great

Discussion in 'History' started by Frisbinator, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Frisbinator Registered Senior Member

Seems to me that the only thing that "Alexander The Great" achieved in the long term is killing hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people, destroying some supposedly legendary beautiful cities, and then dieing at a young age without naming a legitimate heir, some speculate of poisoning. Everything he conquered just sort of went to Hell with no real leader.

What do YOU think?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pixel Registered Senior Member

I dunno. He did SOME great things -- Alexandria, for example.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Obviously the definition of "great" has changed much since those days.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Roman Banned Banned

Hahaha, Gendanken's post was deleted. Now I get to explain greatness.

Alexander spread Greek thought all over the Mediterranean and the Middle East. He essentially gave the world democracy, Aristotelian science, philosophy, Socrates; all the stuff that defines Western thought.

When he died, his territory went to his general's, not everything went to hell. Asia Minor was broken up into several chunks, each ruled by a Greek. The Greek rulers instituted your typical Greek stuff, until the Romans invaded several centuries later.

After the fall of Rome and subsequent dark ages, there was a "rediscovery" of Greek literature, thought and science. This rediscovery would not have been possible without the Arabs and Muslims in Asia Minor who had retained the Greek works since Alexander came through.

And they all lived happily ever after.

8. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

What...the fuck?
    My post was erased.

Was I ugly?
    No.
    Did I curse, whine, or blaspheme? No.
    *sniff sniff*
    I smell fish. A goofy, silly fish.

Why, pray tell, was it erased?
    And why, pray tell, would you wait until I'm gone in order to post?
    I fail to see any valid reason for it being erased:

"Gee I don't know, I wonder where our world would be if Greece kept all her treasures to herself- democracy, science- all distributed by the Macedonians to the rest of the western world.
    A Persian king who, I think, had enjoyed ruling the world without contest was put in his place by a boy in his twenties.
    Granted, the qualifier 'great' is a modern term given by anemic historians to men they secretly masturbate to and its absurd to believe he really was a son of Zeus- still"

Where is the offense?

9. Roman Banned Banned

Yeah what a fucking conspiracy....
    Nah, me posting just to agree with you seemed awefully sycophantic and redundant. But then your post disappeared. So I was all like "cool," and she was like "cool", and it was pretty sweet.
    Maybe it was the name calling before and after your stuff?

10. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Hardly.

Comparing one's 'accoplishments' to a bowel movement? Its name-calling only if the person in question is actually insulted as one.
    How many get away with so much around here, and I say this or that and I'm either banned or sent some cheeky pm about getting along with the kiddies.

I realize its immature to point, but its far more immature to assume peoiple can't regulate their own feelings over the internet. Internet.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  11. pixel Registered Senior Member

Gendanken, everything you write cracks me up. You're like a pissed off machine gun on a hairtrigger. Aaah. So funny.

- Hyena

12. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Pardon?

13. pixel Registered Senior Member

Aw nothing. I meant no offense, really.

Is anybody going to acknowledge the greatness of Alexandria? Granted, the master:slave ratio was preposterous, but then, all those intellectuals meetings in the streets, the multiculturalism, the knowledge, the library -- the library! I think it was humanity's pinnacle, pretty much. And Alexander set it up. Now THAT is vision.

14. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

If this what you exactly wrote, i find no reason for its deletion.

15. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

This part sounds rude and sarcastic. Like she's better than the thread starter.
    That's not on. I'm glad it was deleted.

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Alexander the Great is my favourite historical figure and my hero. I think he's one of the greatest men that have ever lived. All my deepest respect to him.

17. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Are you on acid?

18. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

19. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Seems to me that Alexander the great achieved both the death of many people, as Frisbinator said, and also teh founding of a city or two that proved of great value to his descendents. Isnt history wonderful? It embodies such a unification of opposites. Not all bad is always bad, not all good is always good. Change within limits is the only constant. Integration within the boundaries of life.

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

But great doesn't mean good or bad, it's very subjective. Great means that a person has achieved something that no other or few others have achieved and Alexander the Great conquered almost all of the then known civilized world and beyond, bravly fighting in the front lines and expanding the influence of his culture and civilization. No man has ever done the same even living a 100 years, but Alexander did that barely reaching 30. Even Julius Caesar was envious and jelous (don't remember the exact quote). I think he was the greatest man for his people that has ever lived.

21. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

But also, my more narrow personal reaction when reading "the campaigns of Alexander" by Arrian, was that he was a barking lunatic homicidal maniac who loved killing people.

22. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I see nothing wrong with that.
    Could a friendly pacifist ever do what Alexander did? Nah, the friendly pacifist rotted his life picking apples and paying taxes.

For glory, fame and immortality!

23. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

If you like. But I'd rather you didnt trample over my apple trees.