ALERT: Water polluted with drugs around the world!

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by TruthSeeker, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Xev Registered Senior Member

Nelson:
    I think - you mean a sort of inner understanding, an intuition, not a rational understanding but a feeling?

I don't doubt that there are companies who will do that sort of thing - if allowed the oppertunity. I have read of cases of this happening.

However, that does not make it a major problem. We have federal regulations and lawsuits to keep the companies under control.

In the US, at least.

Possibly. But many people are good actors like that.

Well I won't argue with you there! But it's not science at all, and shouldn't be posted in 'science'.

See my point?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Xev,

Yeah... you are in the right track...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Well... that's what it's said... but I have my doubts...

Many countries (not only in the developing world, but also in the developed) might be doing this. It's much easier and less expensive to throw the waste in the rivers than to treat it...

Good to see that you know about that!

[amusing]Oh![/amusing]
    Have you ever tried?

It's really hard to imitate the trembling of the legs of someone that fears...

Yes, I see...

Love,
    Nelson

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Thanks kmguru

Now... Xev, Tyler, (Q) and Stryderunknown...
    What do you think?

Enough evidence or the Scientific American Magazine is "crackpot" (or wathever...) too?

How many things I'm saying here are true and you don't listen to me...?

We will find out...

Love,
    Nelson

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Truthseeker

How many things I'm saying here are true

Percentage wise, I'd estimate about 99.999999999999999% is crap.

you don't listen to me...?

You'll be happy to know that I am no longer going to respond to your drivel. From this point on, I am going to ignore you. It took Mr. G to bring me back to my senses (quack quack). Therefore, you may quack all you want and will probably (no promises) not hear a word from me.

That said, if you continue to pollute the science forums with your drivel and it escalates to new heights, the Q will simply stop posting and move on. I am not interested in science forums that are run by trolls like you.

Ciao

Q

9. Xev Registered Senior Member

Nelson:
    I'm not much of an actress. But watch Kenneth Branaugh's 'Hamlet' some time - he is very convincing. As are most professional actors.

Not enough evidence - if you will read the article, you will note that the magazine did not take a position on the problem. In addition, the article only described the need for further studies.

Ego, ego, ego.

Don't know - how many things am I saying that are true, yet you do not listen?

Now, since you do not follow the methodology of science, why do you post in science?

10. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

Gentlemen: you've gone into a dead alley in this discussion. I wanted to stay away from it, but there is a little demon inside me that makes me intrude where I am not called.

I said once (quoting someone much wiser than me), that <b>"Statistics are the Most Elegant way of lying".</b>

Said that, I would add that statistics, when properly used, in well designed statistical models, made by honest and competent people, that have no agenda to fulfill, is a highly valuable tool for understanding some issues.

However, present science is using highly unreliable statistics, full of dishonest data, trying to prove hypotesis that already have a unique conclusion: that designed by groups interested in pushing forward their agenda. They put money forward and say: "Build a statistic that will prove this". And money talks, loud and clear!

Using the data (provided by governmental health agencies) a Dr. Sternglass "proved" statistically that the Trojan nuclear station in Multnomah county in Washington state, was causing high levels of leukemia. He claimed a 76% increase that made headlines and almost provoked the station shutdown.

Using the same data, I proved to them that Trojan <b>was curing leukemia!</b> The leukemia cases had droped 42% in the next two years of the opening of Trojan.

Of course, both "studies" <b>are utter nonsense, a work of idiots, or quite dishonest persons.</b> If you are interested in the graph showing both "studies" (Sternglass and mine), I will be glad to link you to it.

And about believing in what other people say, this is a field where people are commiting mistakes every minute in their lives. I think only experience and lots of knowledge of the person who is telling you something, will make the difference. An example: politicians. you still believe in them? Your wives, sons and daughters: how can you tell they are not lying to you? How many times did they get away with their unrecognized lies? Someday you'll learn that you were the last one to know what was going on...

11. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"How many things I'm saying here are true and you don't listen to me...?"

I think I've said it before.....my only regert in life is that I will never get to see you as you're 75 and you never succeeded in your crap.

"We will find out..."

How? Are you actually going to try and get your b.s. published? And then get famous? If you do this, please come to Toronto, find Tyler Cohen and hunt me down and laugh in my face. Because you can bet that if I actually do meet you when you're 75 and a failure, I'll laugh in your face.

"I'm not much of an actress. But watch Kenneth Branaugh's 'Hamlet' some time - he is very convincing. As are most professional actors."

Don't even need to be a pro. Hell, a lot of actors/actresses are less convincing than my dog. All it takes is someone with enough experience and control over their reactions and actions. I went out with a 27 year old woman last summer for a while who had not a doubt in her mind taht I was 21 and attending Queens University. And she wasn't exactly a dummy herself.

Edufer - Stats can be improperly used, agreed. But you are failing to see what Nelson is saying. If I provide three sources like the Oxford Dictionary, Websters and a third dictionary that state the English language has 400,000 words but his friend says that he heard somewhere the English language has 1,000,000 words, he would definetly not believe me. Which is just truly idiotic. And besides that, completely unscientific.

12. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

Tyler, yes, you are right. Sometimes (most of the time) I fail to see what Nelson's point is because I try to reason in a scientific way, that is, using a thinking methodology that cannot argue with "feelings", "sentiments" or "religious beliefs". Nelson seems to be a strong believer in Gaia's religion, and think that the environmental gosspel is science. It is not. Or at least I think it is not.

People tend to miss the important part of thingsm and ask irrelevant questions when an extraordinary event happens, as when somebody says: <b>"A UFO just landed right in Main Ave. and Elm Street, and two huge amoebas emerged from it!"</b>

Most people will say: <b>"What? At main Ave and Elm Street? I don't believe you!".</b>

They miss the main point of almost everything.

13. Xev Registered Senior Member

Edufer, take that bit about Gaia down now! He hasn't mentioned it yet, and you will just encourage him!

No, it's not that he's an enviormentalist per se....it's that he believes anything anybody tells him, as long as it 'feels good'.

Seriously, I agree with you on statistics. However, when properly used, they are an wonderful tool.

However, Nelson does not have a complete understanding of the scientific method. It's not somthing you can learn out of a textbook...

In any case, he does not use the methodology. Why he continues to post in science is beyond me, but, there you have it.

14. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Xev,

Not exactly...

I do have it... but I'm not a professional scientist, you know... I've never gone to university... :bugeye:

I continue to post because people will knock me down... but in some years they will say:
    "Uh-oh... the kid was right...!"

Love,
    Nelson

15. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Edufer,

Yeah... go dreaming...

Do you know how many people fit your description...?
    I tell you... VERY FEW... :bugeye:

Thanks for bringing it...

I would like to add that there was a company of tooth paste that proved statistically that 2 out of 3 dentists recommend their products. Well... they asked three doctors... and the third said: "It doesn't make any difference the tooth paste you use"... :bugeye:

Love,
    Nelson

16. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"Yeah... go dreaming...

Do you know how many people fit your description...?
    I tell you... VERY FEW..."

That's why you get 3 sources. Like I said.

"I continue to post because people will knock me down... but in some years they will say:
    "Uh-oh... the kid was right...!""

I reffer you to my last post on my life's regret.

17. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Not enough... in the way things are going... not enough...

18. Tyler Registered Senior Member

If three unrelated sources say the same thing, it's not enough?

But one person who may or may not be right is?

You said you've heard that companies dump chemical waste. Who told you this? The people who work at the companies and are privelaged enough to see this illegal act?

If not, then do you know where the info came from? Statistics.

19. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

Nelson Dear, are we to understand from all this that you have stopped drinking water ?
    Or that you think we should stop drinking water?
    I am mostly water!

Most medical bodies would recommend that we drink at least 2L of water a day as well as any other fluids. Maybe you should do this.

Who knows you may develop bosoms.... Then you could feel a tit when you talk like one

20. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

bbcboy,

I'm discussing the problem of lack of water in the world. In only a few years we may experience the price of water increase pretty much...

Love,
    Nelson

21. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

No Nelson, you're not. There is no lack of water,indeed evidence suggests that the polar ice caps are melting and the amount of free water in the world is increasing.
    The technology for ensuring water is clean and drinkable has already been adequately impressed upon you in this thread and the evidence for same has been presented.

I'm curious as to why you believe all that you read and yet when you present such claims here in a forum full of informed scientific minds, you refuse to back down and admit that you could have mis-interpreted what was originally said.

It's no wonder people lose patience with you. You have the intelligence to put an argument across well. Try applying some of it to your own agenda and analysing why you can't be wrong

22. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

bbcboy,

Doesn't the water of the ice caps go to the ocean, where the water is salty...?:bugeye:

Will this melting increase the level of water and destroy cities in the shore...?:bugeye:

Love,
    Nelson

23. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

Let's stick to one branch of armageddon at a time shall we.

Yes the polar ice caps will melt into the sea. This is what they float on so logic would dictate this as a probable course of action. De-salinisation is a complex but fairly cheap method of removing the undrinkable parts of sea water leaving it safe, however this should not need to be an issue as it's hardly likely to stop raining in the near future and this does most of the work for us,(Evaporation/distillation. etc) The world is a funny old place Nelson and what's really funny is that people still want to live on it. I'm sure should any major problems with clean drinking water occur then the powers that be will spend no time fixing it.

Unless of course you live in sub-saharan Africa where it's all up to U2 and Bob Geldof

Stop panicking there's a dear. Go out and have sex. Once you fully discover this you won't give a shit where your next H2O comes from I kid you not