Alert NEWS:COLUMBIA BREAKS UP!

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Cthulhu, Feb 1, 2003.

1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Dam right! I'm going to make one thats a great Idea!

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16743

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Coldrake Registered Senior Member

Re: Space Shuttle Explodes

Don't think it exploded, but rather broke apart apparently. I talked to a friend who has worked with the shuttle program for about 20 years and he said that there is no fuel on the shuttle when it re-enters the atmosphere; that they glide in. Columbia should have been structurally sound, however. This was its 28th flight and the shuttles are built for a life span of around 100 missions. They did show a pic of something coming off the nose of the booster (ice?) during launch and hitting the left wing of the shuttle. NASA said, however, that this was not a problem, so I don't know. CNN hasn't shown anything new for the last couple of hours, which is now about 3 hours after communication was lost.

CNN is showing pieces of Columbia in fields in the Dallas area, and a piece in some small town. Very tragic.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

While there is no fuel explosion is still possible. (Oxygen+heat=boom)

However you are correct that structural failure/damage is more likely.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Qiothus II Majikal Man Registered Senior Member

I don't think it was terrorism at all. The security was airtight (literally) and if something had fallen off at takeoff, it was probably a tile on the wing. If a tile on the wing was gone during reentry going at mach 6 it is very possible that the heat would have seriously impared the shuttle. Plus, if enough tiles were ripped apart, the temperature on the inside of the craft would have gone up dramatically. I really hate the ide of people being burned alive. But what I hate more is that this couldn't have happened at a worse time. War with the middle east and terrorism and America being looked at as incompetant because a lot of stupid addresses by the president. (or what I think were stupid because he is a moron) I don't like this one bit. The US keeps having bad shit happen and I think that this is going to turn out very bad in the end.

All that from a shuttle crash? No, but I am deeply sadend and nothing seems to be going in the right direction--we keep facing tragedy after tragedy. Childish as this may seem, I really wish this had never happened; I wish the shuttle had just landed normally and this would have been a shuttle landing thread.

8. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

Shuttle landing thread...?

The problem with the shuttles are that they have become routine yet not efficient, or frequent. They go up every once in a while and most of us could just care less.

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Amen!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

Re: The damn arabs...

Is it really, really necessary?

11. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Ditto.
    :

ersol sniffs the troll::

12. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

It appears that on coincidental human or machine errors, and the coincidences that an Israeli is on board, is enough gunpowder for radicals to start airing their extremist opinions to the point that it doesn’t really matter the true outcome. Some have already made their minds regardless of anything.
    Would their closed minds ever accept the truth?

If we don’t have terrorist, let’s fabricate them, right?

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Drink up, dreamers: A hole in the sky

All I can think of right now is the fact that I saw episode 1F13, "Deep Space Homer" on our local syndicated broadcast of The Simpsons last night. Over and over again in my head, I think of an inanimate carbon rod, and Buzz Aldrin humming "Glory, Glory Hallelujah!" as the shuttle streamed toward earth.

I looked up at the sky a few minutes ago. The veil of clouds was punctuated by a single, small patch of blue. Most appropriate, this hole in the sky.

Lord, here comes the flood
    When we must say goodbye to flesh and blood
    In the end, when the seas are silent
    If any are still alive
    It'll be those that gave their island to survive.
    Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry.

I will be in my corner, smoking.

Tiassa

14. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I saw that ep last night to Tiassa!

I doubt that it was terrorism, I just wonder how Bush will link it to Usama, or Saddam. Does anyone know if he's going to make a speech?

15. Hannibal Registered Senior Member

Fucking Jesus Christ, this is unbelievable. We spend like trillions of dollars figuring out ways to annihilate each other but we can’t spare the money to build a nuclear rocket. Now this crash is going to set a mars landing back a few decades. I hate humanity.

16. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

Hull Integrity Monitor

Picture the following events:

The space-shuttle maybe flew against some small piece of old space junk or even a small micro-meteorite. Not serious enough to get noticed by the crew, but bad enough to crack up a few tiles at the wrong place....

Now if the crew had a system to monitor the integrity of all the tiles they could in low earth orbit do replace some tiles / repair etc....

That's why I propose a matrix of heat resistand glass fiber thru the tiles, connected to a computer, if somehow a tile gets damaged some glass wires will be broken, the computer will alert and pinpoint the location. Repairs can be done before reentering the atmosphere.....

17. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I wouldn't consider it a waste of money. NASA experiments have led to the creation of many new drugs, inventions (Like thermal blankets) and such. It's actually helped us a great deal, we aren't conquering space, were exploring it. Finding out the limitless things that we could learn from whats out there...

Space is where man is heading, its inevitable. We have to go somewhere, because thats where all the answers are. "Where are we from?" or "Where are we going?" or "Is there someone else out there?" Are all questions that will be answered when we finally begin to explore. To back down now, is foolish.

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Re: Hull Integrity Monitor

In the new one maybe

they have been working on it for years why is it not out and running yet... oh wait I remember they lack the money. If NASA had more money so deal wit problems like these more effectively this would not have happened!

19. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Come on! I mean seriously? No no, your right. It could never be an Americans fault, or a fault in American design. We're frelling infaluble. God ain't got crap on us. It's never our fault, so let's blame the one person on the ship that was different. Yes, that will work. We can keep doing it again and again and again, until we have nobody left to blame but ourselves.

Brad Rules, I commend you for that dumb comment. And also, I would like to thank you for having nothing better to do then blame other people for ACCIDENTS.

20. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

They died doing what they were dedicated to! Celebrate their accomplishment!

They saw Mother Earth from LEO for sixteen days before expiring!

How many of us will go to our graves having fulfilled a dream?

Here's to those who dared! Shalom ...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2003
  21. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

Tragedies

Thousands die every day, some defending rights, some attacking rights, some in humanitarian endeavors, some of hunger and some on wealth.
    We are accustomed to go on not looking back.
    Many will have had fulfilled many dreams before departing and many others will depart without a dream.
    Many dared for sciences but many more for humankind.
    I see it as nothing but a tragedy, a tragedy like the many, many more we just let go by.
    Let us no dramatize or cosmetically capitalize on one more tragedy like the thousands that we have.
    shalom.

22. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Shalom to all the real heroes of the world: people who have fought and died to benefit the human race as a whole.

So who is herbew here?
    Referring to "Shalom"

23. -iLluSiON- Registered Senior Member

I surely hope that the Moslim Extremists don't claim this to be an 'act of Allah'...