Aging

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Mickmeister, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

I think you nailed it. I think aging implies something significantly different for women in the west than it does for men. I say the west because in much of the traditional world aging is still considered a natural right of passage and there are less messages in their society telling them that its an undesirable condition of life.

In the west menopause is treated as an illness and in the east its considered as natural as the wind without all the talk of hormones etc. This will probably change of course as access to media will bring these messages as they tend to mirror the west.

Mickmeister try buying her 'Coming of Age' by Simone de Beauvoir. An excerpt:

"Old age is not a mere statistical fact; it is the prolongation and the last stage of a certain process. What does this process consist of? In other words, what does growing old mean? The notion is bound up with that of change. Yet the life of the foetus, of the new-born baby and of the child is one of continuous change. Must we therefore say, as some have said, that our life is a gradual death? Certainly not. A paradox of this kind disregards the basic truth of life -- life is an unstable system in which balance is continually lost and continually recovered: it is inertia that is synonymous with death."

"Even if the body does send us signals, they are ambiguous. There is a temptation to confuse some curable disease with irreversible old age. Trotsky lived only for working and fighting, and he dreaded growing old: he was filled with anxiety when he remembered Turgenev's remark, one that Lenin often quoted -- "Do you know the worst of all vices? It is being over fifty-five." And in 1933, when he was exactly fifty-five himself, he wrote a letter to his wife, complaining of tiredness, lack of sleep, a failing memory; it seemed to him that his strength was going, and it worried him. "Can this be age that has come for good, or is it no more than a temporary, though sudden, decline that I shall recover from? We shall see." Sadly he called the past to mind: "I have a painful longing for your old photograph, the picture that shows us both when we were so young." He did get better and he took up all his activities again.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Alright. That's it. Now that I've turned 18, I'm gonna go get wasted, skydive and bungee jump all in one day. I'm officially unafraid of dying now. Half my exams haven't killed me, although mathematics did come close, and I hope the other half doesn't.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

My wife is a big fan.
    I have thouroughly enjoyed the little I have read.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

I hope the swineflu gets you.

8. sniffy Banned Banned

Ack your as young as the man you feel.....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

It is not a matter of how old you are it is how old you feel. If you feel like you are ready for the grave then most cases you likely are. Tell her to suck it up and shut it up enjoy what you got not what you wanted it to be.

10. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I have always felt old somehow, even when I was in kindergarden.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

In what way?

12. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Somehow .... I have felt ageless, ever since I can remember. It is an awkward feeling, so different from what seems considered "normal". I guess this is why I interpret it as "old".

13. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I wasn't directing that statement towards you... just speaking in general.

But, yea. You'll more likely to die before me. And, I don't fear the swine flu. It's over hyped.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

How do you know?

15. deicider got omnicidead Registered Senior Member

>40 good as dead.
    Hope u die soon so u wont suffer,just being nice

Am turning 20 in 2 months

i don wanna die ;(

16. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

well i got news for u.. if 40 is old, u will be there in another 20years.. you are half way there, and I feel bad for your parents..

17. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Death is nothing to fear compared to wrinkles, flabby skin, double chins and losing teeth.

18. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Worry more about living your life now than dreading the day you will die. So many people are so fucking afraid of unpleasant future inevitabilities that their life becomes a meaningless passage ridden with fear and anxiety.

19. deicider got omnicidead Registered Senior Member

So when will i worry bout dying?after i die? duhh

20. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Never.
    Why worry about what is inevitable?
    If you worry or not, it will still happen - but worrying makes it more difficult for you.
    Why make things more difficult?
    It doesn't make sense to me.

21. deicider got omnicidead Registered Senior Member

am just messin with ppl ;o

22. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I know, but it was still an important point to make.

23. deicider got omnicidead Registered Senior Member

in that case i'll have to agree with ya.
    We live life by instants,no matter how much we live we will still feel the instance of the time even if we lived 1000 years.So every instant (traditionaly -> a second) we waste by worries ,cursing life etc will never be restored.
    Even though i'll have to admit the bad times are a "necessary evil" otherwise u can't really feel the good times(even if u did it would be very dull)ofcourse necessary evil will happen weather u want it or not.Still,worrying and fearing the inevitable (or even the evitable) is not an evil of that kind,its a pure waste of time and energy.