Against Religious Tolerance

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Leo Volont, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Crunchy Cta,

Agreed. When their religious crutches are removed there will need to be a better form of support.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reign-Mack Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

We should make that mandatory viewing for everyone who posts here.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lawdog Digging up old bones Registered Senior Member

Not 14%, thats absurd. Perhaps .14% of the worlds population is atheist. Most folk turn religious when death is near anyway. Those who do not are admirible but gravely mistaken.

8. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

Yeah ive also noticed that the majority of the religious are actually far more influenced
    by the secular tenants of modern society rather than the tenants of their Holy books, and are useally completely unaware of this fact about themselves haha.

9. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I'd like to see your sources for both assertions. While 14% is a high number for actual "atheist," .14% is simply bullshit you made up.

When looking at the non-religious in the world's population, the average is 16%, which includes atheist, agnostic and those that simply say they "don't believe in god."

Barrett (2001) classified 2.5% of the world population as atheist and 12.7% as non-religious, for a total of 15.2%.

Some countries have higher proportions of atheists versus the deluded. Zuckerman (2005) found that 41-49% of Germany's population is atheist and between 46-85% of Sweden to be atheist. Zuckerman's numbers have such ranges because he used a meta-analysis of the work of others (linked below) and is comparing/contrasting their methods, but he also found that 3-9% of the U.S. considers itself to be atheist.

References:

Barrett, David; et al (2001). World Christian Encyclopedia: A comparative survey of churches and religions - AD 30 to 2200. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Zuckerman, Phil. (2005). "Atheism: Contemporary Rates and Patterns", in The Cambridge Companion to Atheism, ed. by Michael Martin, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK.

10. Lawdog Digging up old bones Registered Senior Member

Sam Harris and another speaker video: worried about religious killing? Presuming God's will???

Isnt that what the atheistic abortionists do as well? Log in your own eye!!!!
    Why are they so alarmed that there are so many who believe in a God of Love?

WHOA....after hearing those atheist madmen I know that Antichrist walks the earth.

ps. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  11. Lawdog Digging up old bones Registered Senior Member

You actually trust Cambridge????????????????????????

12. Lawdog Digging up old bones Registered Senior Member

Sam Harris and another speaker video: worried about religious killing? Presuming God's will???

Isnt that what the atheistic abortionists do as well? Log in your own eye!!!!
    Why are they so alarmed that there are so many who believe in a God of Love?

What he said about PC religious tolerance was correct.
    Religious moderates indeed are intellectually bankrupt.
    Christ said: "Be hot or cold, the lukewarm I will spit from my mouth."
    I would rather be martyred in an intolerant society by you atheists trying to get rid of us.
    Thats ok with me. But no crap about "respecting beliefs."
    Save for his atheism I totally agree with most of what he said.
    What he said about medievalism etc was true.
    Aquinas etc. He knows what he talking about there.
    I gotta respect this guy.

An atheist I actually agree with on a very important point!!!!

WHOA....after hearing those atheist madmen I know
    that Antichrist walks the earth.

ps. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  13. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

You're proving yourself to be very ignorant once again. No wonder *MW* calls you "lapdog."

From an anti-abortion source:

Once again, the evidence that the non-religious and secular have higher moral standards than the superstitious is confirmed.

14. Lawdog Digging up old bones Registered Senior Member

Ok point taken. But do they really believe in God?
    Obviously not. They use religion as a cloak.
    The Atheist does not even see abortion as wrong.

15. Lawdog Digging up old bones Registered Senior Member

16. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

17. Diogenes' Dog Subvert the dominant cliche... Registered Senior Member

Are you against political tolerance? Identical arguments could be made...

The reason for religious tolerance and finding common ground is:

1) No-one has a monopoly on truth
    2) Religious traditions might learn something
    3) Most religions value brother/sisterhood and the breaking down of division and hatred.

I don't agree that religious tolerance was imposed by secular atheists - It is a product of the challenge to 'Authority' from the Reformation, and the skepticism and rational enquiry of the Enlightenment. These have also given rise both to empiricism, science and ultimately to skeptical atheism.

18. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I'm not really that tough. Moreover, I'm simply making an observation. Do you feel attacked?

If I called you a dumb-ass, that would be an attack. But I usually refrain from stating the obvious.

19. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: What makes you think abortionists are atheists? Legally, an abortionist must be a board certified obstetric/gynecologist. Most that I've met have been Jews. Abortion in Judaism is sanctioned until day 40. I don't recall what it is in Islam, but it's pretty close to that. All OB/Gyns are trained in abortion as are some Family and General Practice physicians. Just because they are skilled in the procedure of dilatation and evacuation does not mean they are atheists. That same procedure can remove fibroid tumors that many women have, and that's not considered an abortion even though they are removing the contents of the uterus. The embryo could not live outside the host's womb unless it was processed and frozen for future implantation. Once it's removed from the uterus, it is no longer viable, and until it is born and assigned a social security number, it does not exist as a citizen of this country. What then? It cannot decide which country it is a citizen of!

20. Lawdog Digging up old bones Registered Senior Member

Just because someone aligns themselves with a certain religion doesnt make them believers.

SkinWalker, go back to your little new-ager hole from which you crawled.

21. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Typical logical fallacy ... expected from religious nutbars: special pleading and moving the goalpost. Whenever the immorality of a religious nutbar is pointed out, other religious nutbars will claim they aren't true-believers.

22. Lawdog Digging up old bones Registered Senior Member

And I suppose the same does not hold true with Atheists...

Besides, at least they know that they are doing wrong.
    You will end up in Hell (God forbid) for not believing.
    Thats worst.

23. Provita Provita Registered Senior Member

Are you judging whether we go to hell or not? I believe thats a mortal sin in the Bible..