Afghanistan - What is the objective?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by StrawDog, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

And SAM, dont forget the that the WSJ is anti-Arab and anti-Muslim

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

A letter that is curiously absent from discussions.

Frankly, I would like to hear the al Qaeda acknowledge the letter as they do all their activities. Cannot trust any info coming out of the US.

What has Zarqawi said about it?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What I find really hard to understand is that if al Qaeda members are chatting online and sending letters carelessly detailing their thoughts, dreams, plans with real signatures, maps and list of names, then how the hell did they ever manage 9/11?

Even if one can believe that they are so inept, it reflects really poorly on American intelligence. For all you know, they could just as easily have walked in, openly left bombs any and everywhere, with arrows saying "Do not Touch, will explode shortly" and no one would have realised anything was amiss.

9. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Not to mention the terrible wireless signal in those caves.

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

You say the Americans aren't really looking for Bum Laden, whereas the official position is that they are.

You have actually performed the normally linguistically impossible and put words in your own mouth. Extraordinary.

Redneck is sort of a racist term. Let's not use that, for starters.

Second: I think you mean to say that the prosecution of crimes by soldiers has been lax. This is not actually the same thing. If you have evidence of your statement, then please present it. I am normally held up to a much more stringent standard, I think you'll find.

Why? Do you have a reason for saying so aside from your own personal impressions? Soldiers have never lied? They can, as your comments suggest, commit crimes as other people. They cannot lie? (As an ex-soldier, I know for a fact that they do.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

Which reports are these?

Do you have some evidence of my personal extra-paternity?

Anyway, I'm more interested in destroying the Taliban because of its reactionary, bigoted outlook.

For what?

How do you know?

And don't make allegations about my reading. You didn't even read your own links.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

How can something be forgotten that isn't so?

12. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

I said its naive to think the US actually wants to capture Bin Laden. They are looking for him, but its naive to think they want him captured.
    Yes I know, I'm a linguistic genius

The definition of redneck has changed over the years. Some say its racist, the vast majority say it isnt. And I dont think its racist, so Ill use it to describe the moron taking pleasure in other peoples suffering.

Not so much the prosecution as the acknowledgement of those actions. Just like Israel first refused to acknlowedge it bombed civilians with white phosporus until photos came out showing they did. Just like Israel refused to acknowledge that it deliberately targeted civilians in Gaza until the soldiers gave evidence. Its about acknowledgement, not prosecution.

I understand the riots and lawsuits that would take place and the overall reaction if it was acknowledged by the military. Thats why.

http://www.juancole.com/2008/11/afghan-article-says-us-bin-ladin-hunt.html

The you there wasnt meant as in you, but as in the US government under Bush, the people who actually allowed the US to be attacked in the first place.

I read that article and everything around it last year. I know the military leaders deny it yet the soldiers are sticking with it.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats not what he was telling in personal interviews:

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/09/14/barnes-osama/

And if the entire US government cannot find one man in 7 years, they should just realise that they are incredibly inept.

15. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Not negating the barbaric sentiment expressed by Bush.

Here is the rub. Within DAYS the CIA had pinpointed WHO and WHERE the responsibility for 9/11 lay. Yet in 7 YEARS they cannot find him? What is going on here?

16. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."
    - G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

"I am truly not that concerned about him."
    - G.W. Bush, repsonding to a question about bin Laden's whereabouts,
    3/13/02 (The New American, 4/8/02)

Giddy up cowboy!

Saddam found in a hole in the ground in weeks, Bin Laden still at large... It would be funny if it wasnt so sad

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

He gave up his satellite phone.

Arsalan,
    I posted the same quotes at some point in the past. I don't know what he meant exactly, except perhaps that finding Bin Laden is not the sole justification for our military action. We aim to bring down his whole organization and similar organizations around the world.

18. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

Seriously? The only thing you have to do to bring down Bin Laden is close the dozens of US military bases in Muslim countries and withdraw your troops from those countries. When Bin Laden was asked why he wanted to fight the US one of the reasons, perhaps the main reason, he gave, was the existence of US military bases on Muslim Holy Land and the US continued support for the House of Saud. So there you have it, close down your military bases in mine and various other countries, stop supporting the dictators of the House of Saud, who murdered their way to power and are kept in power by the US military presence in Saudiland and instantly you will deal one of the biggest blows to Bin Laden. Unless ofcourse you can point me to where the Iranian bases are in the US? Or the Iraqi? Or the Pakistani?Or the.. Well, you get the picture. People dont want foreign military bases on their land.

Want to get rid of him completely? Be fair in your treatment of the Israel-Palestine conflict. By fair, I mean dont try to start civil wars if the government the Palestinians elected in a free and fair democratic election isnt the one you wanted, and be just as harsh to the Israelis as you are to the Palestinians. Problem solved. Ofcourse, this would mean no war, no profits for the big defense contractors etc etc.

19. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

1. What are the criteria for being identified as "similar organizations"?
    2. Do these "military actions" fall under the Geneva conventions and the ICC?

20. vhawk Registered Member

with great respect to you chaps if this thread were a war I would respectfully say you had arrived at a stalemate maybe the title, why is the objective?(odd grammar, let's face it) doomed it from the start. we all know the sensible reasons for attacking Afghanistan, namely to shut down a university of terrorism housed therein. the conspiracy theory bits are getting a bit weird and wonderful and produce more heat than light as do the kill everyone and blow up the world bits

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, every country should bow to the demands of one extreme terrorist! Yeah, now that's the way to operate nations ....whatever some radical extremist wants, all nations bow to those demands!

Perfect solution, Arsalan! I'll alert President Obama right away and see if we can't get the USA to bow to Osama's demands.

Baron Max

22. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

But the University hasnt shut down. Its grown. Just like the Western soldiers needed real on the ground action, so did the fighters of the Taliban. Theres a reason Afghanistan is called the graveyard of empires. You cannot ever control its people by force. They wont accept you. Especially when you destroy their livelihood. Then you get people on these kinds of threads going on about how the Taliban is backwards and doesnt want improvement, and somehow that degenerates into how Muslims are backwards and dont want improvement. Its a bit like the Israelis saying: "we warned them before we dropped bombs on them" in Gaza. Where do you expect them to go? And how do you expect them to have anything good when youve bombed it all?

Meh.

23. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

You think its just Bin Laden that thinks like that? Wheres the Iranian base near Washington? Or the Vatican? Hell yeah! Get on the phone to Obama and demand those bases!!

US bases in saudiland = keeping evil dictators that oppress and murder people in power

As long as that is true, I dare you to say its a good thing. Typical American BS, thinking that if someone demands US bases not be opened in their country, somehow that demand is levelled against the whole world. You dont want to listen to demands by radical extremists, stop your government from striking down the same deal with the Taliban as it did in the 80's