Afghanistan - What is the objective?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by StrawDog, Mar 11, 2009.

1. John99 Banned Banned

But then i suppose that at some point the U.S and other nations would have gotten involved anyway.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. countezero Registered Senior Member

Read Ghost Wars or Looming Tower. The two people who went to Massood's camp were later revealed to be Al Qaeda operatives. And Massood's people certainly thought it was Al Qaeda.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Hehe. Arsalan doesn't like the obvious explanations of his unfounded allegations. Well, well. What proof would you accept against your conspiracy, if I might ask?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

...and? Seems like a good idea to me. Doesn't specifically have anything to do with your argument.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Let me guess, they wrote their autobigoraphies with videotaped confessions marked them with an X and sent a map to the CIA.

8. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

Conspiracy? Dont put words in my mouth. There is a long list of the military refusing to acknowledge events and covering them up. Or are you really saying that there havent been any cases of friendly fire, civilians being attacked and killed, civlians being raped, or prisoners heaped on a pile with a redneck girl pointing at them and laughing? The fact that elite French troops are making these allegations is worth more than the denial by the high level military sources. Add on top of that the various reports surfacing from Afghanistan that no one is interested in Bin Laden and it all adds up really.

Or you could, you know, just admit that you didnt really care about attacking the Taliban in the first, you just wanted to react like a hurt bastard. Just like most other terrorist attacks aimed at the US were retribution of some form, so were the US terrorist attacks against Iraq and Afghanistan just a form of retribution with some added extra motives. Nothing about capturing the people responsible for 9/11. Maybe you should read what I actually wrote before pressing the "Reply" button. Altough I doubt you will, it's your MO.

9. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Thank G-d you are not the POTUS.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Obama's position does not differ significantly from mine.

11. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

An American President with any understanding of other cultures? There hasnt been one in a long time. Keep deluding yourself with all those naive reasons for attacking Afghanistan and keep wondering why is it that the people there dont like you. Im guessing they dont show Rambo III that much anymore in the States do they? Or Red Dawn? Hilarious stuff

12. countezero Registered Senior Member

Exactly.

Tha man is surging troops to Afghanistan now -- or plans to.

13. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

The Surge didnt work in Iraq and it wont work in Afghanistan. All it will do is annoy the Afghani people who will defend their country more vigorously.

14. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Yes. That is a worry.

15. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

I think what may be helpful, is if the Obama administration could articulate the game plan for Afghanistan - for the next 2 years. And make this public.

Some honesty would be appreciated. I think however, that there is no concrete game plan?

16. countezero Registered Senior Member

Sorry, Sam.

The two "journalists" who killed Masood had a letter of introduction written by Ayman al-Zawahiri, al Qaeda's number two man (Ghost Wars p. 574-575).
    That proves there was a criminal conspiracy with al Qaeda.

For more info, see Jon Lee Anderson's peice in the New Yorker.

Oh, so you are one of those?

That is, one of those who denies the reality on the ground in Iraq? You've said some ridiculous crap before about pipelines and whatnot, but after that I'm just going to file you away in the not-worth-paying-attention-to file.

17. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

Seriously, do I look like I care? :bugeye:

18. countezero Registered Senior Member

No, but you're either daft or just incapable of dealing with reality. I don't care which is true, but you might try backing up your argument with actual sources, if you want to be taken seriously.

Sources, like:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/1626889.stm

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

This letter?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4339912.stm

So what was the letter doing in Iraq?

20. countezero Registered Senior Member

I have no idea if that's the same letter.

The notes in Ghost Wars say: "The draft letter was discovered on a computer harddrive acquired by Wall Street Journal reporters in Kabul during the autumn of 2001."

21. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

I didnt say that Afghanistan is the only alternative to Russia. I said that the pipeline is among one of the reasons the US is still in Afghanistan. And do you really think the surge worked? As Cole put it: the violence fell in Baghdad because the Sunnis were massacred or chased to Syria, leaving few mixed neighborhoods, not because of 'take, clear, hold' (which is in fact a tactic, not a strategy). Satellite pictures show Sunni Baghdad dark now. Ofcourse violence will go down when people arent there in the first place. Unless ofcourse you mean that we need to kill lots of Afghanis so the violence will go down.

22. countezero Registered Senior Member

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Ah so everywhere the US goes, a letter from/for Zarqawi is sure to follow?

Better than Mary's lamb even.

The only info that google came up with on Zarqawi's letter is what I showed you.

The analysis of that letter is given here:

And here:

And considering that Cheney was running an army within an army and probably a spy ring within a spy ring, all these Arabic letters found during operations [is that what US troops are doing? Going through hard drives?] is all highly suspicious.