ADD/ADHD is a fraud

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Zeno, Mar 4, 2008.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

like i said i ahve 2 boys with the condition my husband has it and i have a daughter was is "normal" she doesnt need any help to do her school work, she doesnt smash wide screen tv's.

yeah your right in some ways though, kids do fidget, fight, and all the other things that come with them, but ADHD/ADD kids are like it constently, from morning till night, they may not sleep. of if they do it will be for just 2 hours a night.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

I'm sorry Luci perhaps i am being too forward. Often times these kids are good at one specific task and i suppose many billionaires today would have been diagnosed with this also.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

your not being to forward in fact i am trieing to understand why people are so quick to dismiss the conditions, would tehy say depression doesnt excist? would they say cancer doesnt excist? these conditions have to start somewhere, and its these PC people that hinder my children and children like them getting the help they need.

and in fact ADHD is undiagnosed

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

and i want zeno to come abck on so he/she can explain why they feal it is a fraud, because some idiot south park clip told them it was? or do they have hard facts

8. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

EXACTLY!

There are quite a few people with ADD/ADHD in the information technololgy field too.
    If something piques an ADD/ADHD patient's interest, they can become hyperfocused (even obssessed) on it. They can also learn things that interest them very quickly.
    They tend to be very intelligent, all other things considered.

For example, back when I was in college, I was taking flying lessons. My instructor signed me off for my first solo at just over 8 hours of flying time. That is VERY rare. Ask Hypewaders what the average first solo time is. It's well over 10 hours of flight time.
    Flying is one of the few things that piques my interests as much as it does. I became so focused on learning, that I learned a lot quicker than normal.

Luci, I'm following up on the question I asked you earlier, but a bit modified:
    What activities do your sons like to do, i.e. constructive activities (not smashing LCD TVs LOL)?
    I bet they get super focused on them and they tend to learn those activities fairly quickly, don't they?

9. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

the oldest likes:

pc gaming
    riding
    war gaming (epic 40.000)

the youngest:

he loves world of warcraft and completeing games he is more competitive than his brother and sister.

he loves maths, music, to the point where he will count teh notes in a song, and at times be able to name the notes

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Your a really compasionate person arnt you?
    forget about the fact that so many people who WISH to study STRUGGLE because of this disorder
    Forget that untreated it increases the risks of depression and anxiaty and by exstention SUICIDE
    Forget that 50 years ago all these people would have done was be a garbo or someother low socioeconomic job (not the life I want) or they would end up in jail
    Forget the fact that unmedicated adults with this condition are FAR more likly to turn to achole and illicit drugs in an effort to self medicate

Forget all of that because it "doesnt exist"

Oh and futher more my mum WAS a stay at home mum and cooked all our meals from scratch.

Your not nessarly wrong, alot of sport stars have ADD or ADHD but your forgeting that the disorder doesnt nessarly imply TALENT. Im LOSY at sport but really good at bio, chem, A&P, dealing with emergencies ect so im training to become an ambo but this requires study which is difficult with the disorder

11. phlogistician Banned Banned

A couple of things. First, learn to spell. Really. It's getting to the point where I can't be arsed to read your posts because they grate so much. If you don't start to make some effort, you'll be going on my ignore list.

Second, I never said it didn't exist, just that diagnosing it from a wide variety of symptoms and giving it a label and drugging children is bullshit. We never had so many people with ADHD/ADD 100 years ago, so what is triggering it now?

Do you think that possibly, it a symptom of modern life? Many causes, many problems, vs higher expectations, all conveniently swept under a rug labelled 'ADHD/ADD'?

12. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

you did!

somtimes drugging children (and i wasnt somthing i did lightly, it was either they take the drugs or the family seperate) is the way to go, would you rather have a very dangerous 8yr old walking to school, hitting people has they pass? run into the middle of the road? spit at people? stab kids at school? strangel kids at school?smash wide screen tv's? even flood the toilets at school and home? i wouldnt be to quick to put those down to modern living.

13. phlogistician Banned Banned

Luci, I reckon ADHD/ADD is a convenient bin to stick problem kids with a variety of problems in, that's the bullshit part. The solution is not drugging them. We did not see the numbers of kids diagnosed with these symptoms 100 years ago, so what else can be the cause, but modern living?

14. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

no your right 50/100yrs ago these kids wouldve killed themselves! or killed someone else, and were hung, or they were just a menace to society, it just seems to easy to me to blame it on mondern living!

i am a stay at home mum, i cook from scratch none of this pre made crap, and my kids are still sereverly hyperactive! i get about 4 hours sleep a night, i am constently with them because no one will sit for them while i go out, the last time some one did i came back and the sitter was crieing.

15. Reiku Banned Banned

I have Semantic Pragmatic Disorder, related to the ADHD spectrum, and it is very real. No scam involved.

16. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

What are some of the differences and similarities between the two?

17. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

What is Semantic-pragmatic Disorder?

by Julia Muggleton
    The term 'semantic pragmatic disorder' has been around for nearly l5 years. Originally it was only used to describe children who were not autistic.

Features it includes are:-

delayed language development
    learning to talk by memorising phrases, instead of putting words together freely
    repeating phrases out of context, especially snippets remembered from television programmes
    muddling up 'I' and 'you'
    problems with understanding questions, particularly questions involving 'how' and 'why'
    difficulty following conversations
    Children with this disorder have problems understanding the meaning of what other people say, and they do not understand how to use speech appropriately themselves.

Soon both research and practical experience yielded two important findings:

Many people who definitely are autistic have this kind of language disorder (Dustin Hoffman's character Raymond in the film 'Rainman' being a typical example).
    Most of the children diagnosed as having semantic pragmatic disorder do also have some mild autistic features. For example, they usually have difficulty understanding social situations and expectations, they like to stick fairly rigidly to routines, and they lack imaginative play.
    For a while some language therapists maintained there was still an important difference between children with semantic pragmatic disorder and children who were truly autistic. They believed the autistic features seen in children with semantic pragmatic disorder were only a result of their difficulty with language.

However, further research has shown that there is probably a single underlying cognitive impairment which produces both the autistic features and the semantic pragmatic disorder . The fact that children with semantic pragmatic disorder have problems understanding the meaning and significance of events, as well the meaning and significance of speech, seems to bear this out.

Eventually the idea of an autistic continuum was used to explain the situation. All the children on the continuum have semantic pragmatic difficulties, but the degree of their other autistic impairments can be severe or moderate or mild. This parallels the autistic continuum relating Asperger syndrome, where all the children have a marked social impairment but those with Asperger syndrome have only a relatively mild and subtle language impairment.

It seems that children who are diagnosed as having a semantic pragmatic disorder might more accurately be described as high-functioning autistic. Clinicians tend to give all autistic children who have good intelligence the label Asperger syndrome, even if a child actually has very limited speech. But there are important differences between bright autistic children with semantic pragmatic difficulties and bright autistic children with Asperger syndrome. Children with semantic pragmatic difficulties have usually learnt to talk late, whereas (according to diagnostic guidelines) children with Asperger syndrome were able to talk in sentences by the age of three. Also children with semantic pragmatic difficulties do better on performance IQ tests than verbal IQ tests, whereas with children with Asperger syndrome the results tend to be the other way round. However, if a child with semantic pragmatic difficulties eventually becomes a fluent talker, the difference between the labels 'high functioning autistic' and ' Asperger syndrome' becomes fairly academic.

There is another aspect to the issue of labelling which is altogether more emotive. Many parents feel much more able to cope with the idea of their child having semantic pragmatic language disorder than with the idea of their child being a high functioning autistic. But many other parents find the label semantic pragmatic disorder frustrating and baffling, as they only begin to really understand their child's behaviour when they realise he or she has a form of autism.

Yet another issue is the provision of resources. It is a sad truth that many high functioning autistic children are denied the kind of educational language provision they desperately need, purely because of the word 'autism'. These children are more likely to be accepted into language units and schools when they have the label of semantic pragmatic language disorder. Perhaps the only real solution is to educate the educators, so they begin to understand the wide spectrum of autistic disorders, and to forget dated stereotypes. Even better, perhaps they could learn to look beyond the label and to see the child.

-----------------------------------------------

ADHD/ADD

What is ADHD: A General Overview

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a disorder characterized by a persistent pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity/impulsivity that occurs in academic, occupational, or social settings. Problems with attention include making careless mistakes, failing to complete tasks, problems staying organized and keeping track of things, becoming easily distracted, etc. Problems with hyperactivity can include excessive fidgetiness and squirminess, running or climbing when it is not appropriate, excessive talking, and being constantly on the go. Impulsivity can show up as impatience, difficulty awaiting one's turn, blurting out answers, and frequent interrupting. Although many individuals with ADHD display both inattentive and hyperactive/impulsive symptoms, some individuals show symptoms from one group but not the other. For more detailed information on ADHD symptoms and diagnostic criteria click here.

"But don't all children show these kinds of behaviors?"
    Because most individuals - especially children - display these behaviors from time to time, it can be difficult to differentiate behaviors that reflect ADHD from those that are a normal part of growing up. The key distinction is that for individuals with ADHD, problems with attention and/or hyperactivity/impulsivity are substantially more persistent, severe, and intense. There is a difference between an energetic child and one whose activity level causes persistent problems; between a friendly, talkative child and a child whose excessive talking is an ongoing source of difficulty; and between a child who sometimes has difficulty completing homework or chores and a child who requires constant monitoring and supervision to get things done. The difference is that for a child with ADHD these behaviors cause significant impairment in daily functioning. When such impairment is not evident, and the behaviors occur only occasionally, they are more likely to reflect typical childhood behavior.

"How come a child with ADHD can play Nintendo for hours but can't concentrate on homework for ten minutes?"
    One perplexing aspect of ADHD is that a child's symptoms can vary considerably at different times and in different settings. For example, it is common for parents to wonder how their child can have ADHD when that child focuses intently when watching TV or playing Nintendo. Similarly, when engaged in free play activities, children with ADHD are often indistinguishable from their peers. In other settings, however, particularly those where activity must be restricted and attention sustained to tasks that seem uninteresting, the symptoms are quite evident.
    For children with ADHD, this variability in symptoms does not indicate laziness or defiance (although these can be issues that must also be dealt with). Instead, it demonstrates that ADHD symptoms are simply more likely to be evident in some settings rather than others. Unfortunately, the classroom is one setting where ADHD symptoms are very likely to be prominent, and sometimes this explains the very different views that parents and teachers have of the same child.

18. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Probably, there is a core reality of ADHD, and a significant amount of misdiagnosis and mistreatment built on that core.

When an occasional elementary school classroom has more than a quarter of the kids on Ritalin, when there is a black market in Ritalin based on its easy availability, there's something wrong.

If anyone has been around an ADHD kid, they know that in the elementary schools of the previous generation there weren't four or five of these kids in the same classroom. So what's with the four or five kids on drugs to control it now ?

19. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Thanks for explaining that.

You and I already know the answer to this. LOL
    I'll put off simple house chores for days, yet I could go get on a mountain bike and ride for hours and hours.
    ADHD patients have a difficult time concentrating on things that don't pique their interest, yet can get hyperfocused on things that do interest them.

20. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

oh yeah mike i answered your question! about what my son likes

21. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Of course you could be right, but the question is about whether it never existed 100 years ago, or whether it simply wasn't diagnosed then.

Perhaps the cause is that 100 years ago the health system was a lot less advanced than it is now, we diagnose more conditions and diseases than ever before, that doesn't mean they weren't previously in existence, it just means we now know how to detect them and examine them better.
    As far as I'm aware we couldn't even diagnose cancer until recently, but I'm pretty sure that's been around for a while. I think the same can be said of different mental health problems, bear in mind that previously all would have been locked away without thought and that up until relatively recently mental problems were believed to be the devil! Pretty much how 100 years ago dyslexia was just a sign of stupidity. I'm sure there are more examples.
    Why would a disorder be any different?

22. Zeno Registered Senior Member

I don't believe it exists because all of time I went to school from K-12 everybody just sat there in their chairs listening to the teacher. Where were all of the students with ADD/ADHD?

23. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

did you ever notice kids squirming, shouting out, mis behaving, you dont think it exsists because some dumb ass south park video told you.

and "i say it again" UNLESS you have seen kids anf they're families who live with it on a day to day basis is suggest that you shut your mouth! because you have no basis to start this arguement apart from dumb idiot south park video!

ADHD is actualy under diagnosed! i would love for people like you to live in my shoes for a month or so, and then come back and say the conditions dont excist! People with certan mental conditions were not seem on a day to day basis becasue they were put into asylums! perhaps thats the reason why you, in your school didnt see them.

also it's people like you who hinder children like mine getting the help and emdication they need! it took me years to get my son diagnosed bacuse of the pc bragrade! you do not help matters!

so what then zeno, what are these kids? Bad kids? bad peranting? bad diet? bad enviroment? bad friends? because trust me i have changed all those in my kids, and it hasnt made any differance, ADHD is NOT down to bad peranting,

and the only reason you denie it is, your to affraid to open your eyes and see that kids are changing! and somtimes they change like this!