ADD/ADHD is a fraud

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Zeno, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Zeno Registered Senior Member

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4813129006092295515

If you exhibit any of the following symptoms at any time you may have ADD/ADHD.

1. inattentiveness
    2. unable to concentrate
    3. able to concentrate for hours on something
    4. forgetfulness
    5. spacing-out
    6. being late
    7. procrastinating
    8. can't finish something you've started
    9. change jobs frequently
    10. carelessness
    11. impulsive
    12. rude
    13. blurting out
    14. speaking when not appropriate to do so
    15. acting without thinking
    16. impulse buying
    17. taking unnecessary risks
    18. using drugs
    19. commiting crimes
    20. using credit cards
    21. fidgety
    22. having a restless mind
    23. can't sleep
    24. unemployed

So, 100% of the population must have ADD/ADHD. Funny how #2 and #3 are opposites even though they're both symptoms.

Here's the cure:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7247018673666736206

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Weird, parents must have new standards on what makes "perfect kids." So now, they have classifications for imperfection.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

they just found that additives in food double your chances of being diagnosed.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kadark Banned Banned

ADD/ADHD is a global scam that has earned certain companies billions of dollars. Almost every "symptom" on that list could be resolved with better, more disciplinary parenting.

8. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

I definitely agree it is over-diagnosed, though the symptom list will vary. What you posted looks like a unprofessional guide, not to mention many symptom lists you find online are similarly bad, even with things that are proven physical conditions.

9. angrybellsprout paultard since 2002 Registered Senior Member

Exactly, it is over-diagnosed, but that doesn't mean that the problems aren't real in some individuals.

10. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

Scientology?

11. draqon Banned Banned

yo tthe southpark video is like totttaly right

12. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

Problems do not have to be seen as illnesses, disorders or mental sickness and end up, for example in the DSM4. We could call it a pattern. Then search for causes. Some are doing this. But some are happy to look at it as a genetic phenomenon and to treat the children (an adults) as if they have a disease, then medicate them.

13. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Back when there was recess at school every day, and kids played outside and ran around a lot, there was a lot less of this stuff.

I could just see this diagnostic method applied to animals at the zoo - paces, can't concentrate, gets obsessed with trivia, won't settle down, irritable, doesn't learn tricks, lessee - - - nothing wrong with the cage, it's warm and dry and solid - - - - must be mentally ill !

I saw a stat once, claim that 35% of all small business owners were ADHD in school.

14. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

your a fucking idiot! (everyone else excuse me)

ADD/ADHD is NO scam, in fact it is a true illness/condition, i have 2 children with the condition and i dare you to look after children with the condition, medicated and non medicated children need more care than children without the condition,

and if you are able to concentrate on somthing for hours then you DO NOT have ADHD/ADD

ADHD = Attention deficiet hyperactive disorder
    ADD = Attention deficet disorder

see the word "deficite, hyperactive" they are a clue.

It took the worlds years to come to terms with the conditions and you are now saying its not real, i do hope you dont have any kids, if you do how are you bringing them up? are you a hippie who wont let your kids have medications because you feal its wrong, never mind what the child needs?

before i put my kids on medications, i looked at the diets, and enviroments, and they didnt get any better and the only way they are able to "concentrate" is on the medications, so i do wish people wouldn't spout they're crap about ADHD/ADD being a scam until they have looked after a severly ADHD/ADD child/ren.

so go and do more investigation before you come here and say shit like that! and for the record "south park" is crap!

15. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

oh and for the record, ADHD/ADD children are not always unemplyed, example i know a child with ADHD (ok he's an adult now) in the army, my husaband was diagnosed with ADHD just 4 years ago, and he owns his own business!

so number 24 is redundant! i knwo plenty of people out of work and they do not have the conditions.

16. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

MYTH: ADHD is a “sign of the times”, an American fad or the product of poor parenting/environment. It doesn’t exist.

ADHD is an internationally-recognised, complex neurobiological disorder, affecting up to 5% UK schoolchildren. Research shows that people with ADHD have a few structures within the brain that are smaller and that their neurotransmitters – the chemical messengers in the brain – do not work properly. A child with ADHD is more vulnerable to his environment. The pressures of parenting a child with ADHD can tear families apart. ADHD blights a childhood and damages a future and causes immense stress to the child and family. Understanding of the reality of suffering from and living with ADHD is essential to providing the most effective support.

-----------------------------------------------------

MYTH: All children/teenagers with ADHD are hyperactive/if there is no hyperactivity/sleep difficulties, it is not ADHD

Although hyperactivity is important, hyperactivity per se is not a benchmark of diagnosis and can be the least disabling symptom of ADHD. Some people mistakenly believe that a child or teenager with ADHD must be hyperactive. They may be unaware that by the teenage years, hyperactivity may often be no longer present – and that not all children with ADHD are hyperactive. Many – especially girls – have the predominantly inattentive type of ADHD and have never been hyperactive but still experience significant problems because of their very poor concentration. Others remain impulsive. Sleep problems can be a complication of ADHD but are not essential for diagnosis.

---------------------------------------------

MYTH: Diet is the only effective treatment
    Dietary modification is extremely difficult to implement. It may modify hyperactivity but there is no scientific evidence that it improves poor concentration and impulsivity.

-----------------------------------------------

MYTH: Medication should only be used for school hours
    Where ADHD symptoms are impacting significantly on everyday life both at home and school, medication usually has a role both in and out of school hours. The length of time a child will require medication is determined by regular monitoring and is very individual.

-----------------------------------

MYTH: The medications are addictive with long term effects
    Psychostimulant medication to treat ADHD has been used in over 5 million people over the past 50 years with no apparent long term side-effects. There is no evidence of addiction to the medication used to treat ADHD. Conversely, evidence shows that untreated ADHD can lead to significant educational and social underachievement. There is an increased risk of substance misuse, involvement in the law and other serious difficulties, which can be greatly reduced by medical treatment.

-------------------------------------

MYTH: The medications for ADHD have worrying side effects
    The perception of side effects is sensationalised and inaccurately portrayed by the media and the ignorant. Any medication for any condition, including those bought over the counter, can have potential side effects in some people. It is important to put the situation into perspective. Approximately 20% of children on psychostimulant medication may have transient, mild, short term side effects that can usually be alleviated by careful dosage or timing adjustments.

------------------------------------

MYTH: ADHD is over diagnosed and over treated

Fears and prejudices about ADHD and its treatment are perpetuated by the media and the ignorant. They are not based on hard facts. This prevents children and adults getting effective treatment. ADHD has been under-diagnosed for years. Some researchers consider that we are “catching up” on the predicted 5% prevalence rate of ADHD and many believe that this and the increased awareness and knowledge of ADHD amongst professionals are the primary reason for increases in the number of children being diagnosed and appropriately treated.

------------------------

MYTH: If the child just tried harder to concentrate/wasn’t so lazy he would do well

Children with ADHD are often inconsistent in ability. Their skill deficits are real and not due simply to laziness or lack of motivation. They are often judged on the few occasions when they do well, which are then held against them for the rest of their life. They have a brain chemistry problem, which is often genetic and impairs their ability to concentrate.

17. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Having ADHD myself, I second everything Luci has posted.
    The thing with me is that I was diagnosed with it only two years ago, after I started losing focus at my job. It got to the point that I had to go see a doc about it.
    My mom apparently was too clueless to realize that I had it as a kid/when I was a kid.
    ADHD can also cause anxiety and depression if gone untreated long enough.
    Luci, do your children or husband ever go through any bouts of anxiety or depression as well as not being able to concentrate sometimes?

I was first prescribed Strattera, then Wellbutrin. After neither were successful, doc finally prescribed a stimulant: Daytrana (has the same stuff in it as ritalin), which seems to work pretty well.

18. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

my son also take streterra now, and he also take eyasym, and he has just ahd his dosage doubled because he isnt getting any better.

it took me ages before i would concider medication for it, but then i ahd to decide what was best not for me but my son, he is now able to focus lots more, and is not attacking children in the street and trying to run into the road to cause a crash! i would prefer to have in on medication then dead!

and for all those people saying its bad perenting, think again, you can be the best mum and dad in the world and you can still have an ADHD/ADD child, would people say that cancer doesnt excist no of course they wouldnt.

19. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

OCD seems to be the new fad diagnosis. That and "bipolar".

20. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

bipolar ahs been around for years it has not just now becomme a fad!

21. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I've never heard of eyasym. Doc told me that if Daytrana didn't work, that she would have to try Concerta, full blown Ritalin, and if that didn't work Adderall. Luckily the middle dose patch of Daytrana seemed to do the trick for me.

What does your son really enjoy doing?
    The reason I ask this is because you probably know that if an ADHD patient isn't interested in something (i.e. classes, chores, etc.) that they will put it off indefinitely and subconsciously refuse to focus on it. BUT, if they are interested in something, they tend to hyperfocus on it and can get really good at it. I'd try to give him as many opportunities to do the things he enjoys as possible. If he has something he can focus on that he enjoys and look forward too, it tends to spill over into other aspects of his life.
    Mountain biking does that for me. I tend to get a bit unfocused and irritable when I don't get to go biking as often as I need to.

Well, I can say that substandard parenting can make it worse. I think my mom didn't notice my ADHD when I was a kid because she was too busy with her boyfriend of the week.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That combined with not having a stable, consistent father figure really made things very tough for me. It's kinda hard to fight/treat something when you don't know you have it. When I found out I had ADHD, so many things in my life that happened became very clear. Unfortunately, this also cause my respect for my mom to plummet, and to this day, that's still under repair.

22. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

OCD has been around for over a decade.
    Go watch that movie 'As Good as it Gets'. Jack Nicholson nails an OCD person to the tee.
    Tony Shalhoub's character in 'Monk' is also another extreme case of OCD.
    My friend Jason has OCD. His house is more organized and clean than a museum.

23. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member