Action Notes v.0.1b

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Tiassa, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Riot squad

• Thread "I will be answering deep ethical conundrums" ... Yeah. I did that. Twenty-six posts deleted. You must be joking, right? Good one. Cute. Lovely. No more.

Update:

• No, really. I've had enough of that. Two more posts deleted.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Containment and related notes

• Thread "Corrective Rape": Eight posts deleted from a personal dispute between members. Three posts edited for insulting content or baiting. Mod Hat posted.

Members are reminded to keep their personal disputes framed in the context of any given discussion. Additionally, people need to recognize a couple of points about the method of pretending you're a contemptible idiot:

(1) Yes the moderators are aware of this practice.

(2) As ridiculous and dishonest as it is, there is no specific rule against it.
    (2a) This is an issue that will vary from one moderator to the next; some won't tolerate the distraction, while others consider it a valuable contribution to the community.​

(3) There are rules about how one expresses their disgust toward contemptible idiocy.

(4) The present outlook is that moderators are obliged to protect all members from excessive hostility and harassment; this includes the terminally contemptible who are, otherwise, obedient to rules.

(5) While moderators will continue to offer equal protection from excessive hostility and harassment to members who are determined to present themselves as contemptible idiots, we don't particularly appreciate the practice; contemptible idiots should not expect free reign to be absolute bastards.​

Got it?

Good.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

General Warning

Mod Hat general warning posted in "How do you feel about people who kill animals for the sheer fun of it?"

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Toxic waste

• "How do you feel about people who kill animals for the sheer fun of it?": Nine posts deleted; ten posts edited.

Apparently I forgot to make a note when I pulled the thread this morning at a quarter to four. I remember typing it, but somehow managed to not post it. Apologies for any confusion this may have caused members.

Update: My bad. I forgot to mention that five warning notices went out.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Queue for review

• Thread "I Was Arrested" pulled for review. Updates to follow.

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Post edit

• "When a judge overrules the jury": Edit post to include reference link.

Members are reminded (again) that quoted material must be accompanied by source information. Minimal standard is author and hyperlink when available. Source name (e.g., website name) will suffice if no other author information is available.

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Closure, redux

Pertaining to the thread "Gay debate", the following actions apply:

• Thread closed for grotesque digression.
    • Thread retitled accordingly.
    • Topic post and relevant non-digressive posts copied to new thread.
    • No specific disciplinary sanctions issued.​

Reminder: Members are advised that in the face of genocidal lunacy, the proper response is not to simply cuss and threaten. I would go so far as to ask that in such circumstances, people apply at least the basic appearance of subtlety and intelligence. If a member wishes to play the role of village idiot, it is enough to simply laugh at his or her idiocy. There is no proper need to threaten, and as for the usual harsh condemnations that fly around Sciforums, well, we must remember that genocidal lunatics have feelings, too.

Shame on you all for making the hatemonger cry.

Or, more seriously, yes, the usual acceptable condemnations of outright stupidity are acceptable. Just ... you know. Just because someone decides to advocate genocide is no reason to threaten them.

As noted above, no specific disciplinary sanctions are issued. No posts are deleted from the original thread, and none edited. No warnings will be issued publicly or privately to any individual members on this occasion.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  16. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Post deletions

• Thread "Splinter: (Q)'s Latest—Hating Muhammad" — Three posts deleted; one for failing to contribute to the discussion, and two more that responded to moderated content.

Update: Warning issued both publicly and privately by moderator. Suspension issued by administration for, "Insulting SciForums Member".

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  18. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Post deletion

• Thread "Rape Survivors: Anonymous Poll" — One post deleted for inappropriate content. Seven-day suspension issued by administrator.

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Post edits, deletions

• "Vhemt" — Three posts deleted. Two posts edited.

23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.