About Time Travelling...

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Extra Terrestrial Lifeform, Mar 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScotiaB Registered Member

Pollux, time moves slower when you are going fast (Below light speed). If you fly in a ship for 5 minutes (Close to light speed), but time progresses on earth for 1 hour, you have went to the future, have you not?

You have aged 5 minutes while everone has aged 1 hour. You literally went to the future.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Aha! Forgive me, the theory of relativity is a complex one to master. Whole hours of thought could be devoted to such a complex concept...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Extra Terrestrial Lifeform Registered Member

Whole years, Pollux. A lifetime.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

time travel

The best argument that I've heard about the impossibility of time travel was from a physicist (Hawking, I believe, but I could be wrong), who stated (paraphrased from memory) "If time travel were possible, where are all the time travelers." His point is obvious.

8. Pine_net Chaos Product Registered Senior Member

9. GRO$$ Registered Senior Member

Every time anything moves, the moving object travels into the future. Time for that object slows down (a little)...

Also, HAHAHA GREAT argument paulsamuel

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

hahaha

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

PS. Gonna go for a jog. When i come back, my watch will be slightly behind the one on my wall (if they were exactly the same that is).

Question... do people that live near the equator live longer cuz they are moving more relative to the rest of us? or is this small speed insignificant?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2002
  10. Pine_net Chaos Product Registered Senior Member

Branching dimensions

Super luminal speed is possible; you just cease to exist in this reality branching into a different reality. The quantum power of the mind is the fastest thing around.

light shmite.

11. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Time dilation has been proven. The simplest experiment involved taking two atomic clock and sychronizing them.
    One was then left on the ground while the other was flown at high speeds.
    After landing, the clock that was taken on the plane showed that less time had passed than for the clock on the ground.

There are some other evidences as well.

http://www.plu.edu/~danielmj/Evidence.htm

~Raithere

12. nanok Registered Senior Member

I believe in the idea that a new dimension/universe is created at intervals of time, but i think the length of this time would probably be equal to the amount of time it takes for the smallest particle(higgs particle or strings or whatever it is) to cover it's own length at the speed of light.

This kinda makes sense cause whatever the smallest particle is, nothing should be able to move in smaller distances than that. And since the speed of light is basically the speed limit for everything, so, the smallest distance + the fastest speed = shortest time. That time would be the smallest unit of time there is for everything.

and that number would be TINY, that means alot of universes for time travel

13. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Raithere

When I get some free time here at uni, I intend to investigate all such proofs and look for holes in them. I'm sure many other people with more education in these things have done so before me, but I'd like to do it anyway.

14. itchy Registered Senior Member

Adam, stop being so ignorant. Everywhere you are posting about how you don't beleave in more than three dimensions. Perhaps you should do some investigation and learn about physics before you post such claims. Do you think that Einstein and all modern physicists are wrong? Perhaps its all a conspiracy so they can keep their jobs? Perhaps you think the world is flat.

Being skeptical is good to a certain extent, but not when it borders on ignorance.

15. itchy Registered Senior Member

paulsamuel,

Yes, that is a good argument against time travel. Allthough there are concievable ways around it. And you were right, it was Stephen Hawking who said it.

Here's a link to one of his lectures:

http://www.hawking.org.uk/lectures/warps.html

16. Pine_net Chaos Product Registered Senior Member

Thoughts on time,

Can there be a zero point slice of time? A frozen instance that we call consciousness speeding along at the speed of light through space. Why not, It's an easy way to just sum it up and move along. These are not the droids your looking for! I think the smallest and largest details of the universe will be forever infinitely unknowable.

Computers will one day reverse engineer every piece of DNA on earth. Maybe soon, maybe later, but it's going to happen. I see a future where powerful super computers, quantum super crunching network monsters, that will more than likely have the power to suck up our reality as we know it and generate whatever reality we wish. Time travel if you want to... whatever!

Did you know that rice has 10 thousand more genes than humans? humbling.

Excuse my rambling...

17. kmguru Staff Member

Pine_net

It is a good thought. I think, any mechanism one uses to travel back in time will automatically generate a separate time line that will have two separate realities running side by side in parallel. Think about it....

Also, there is nothing in physics that prevents a time line to come to a dead stop. You can have a time bubble too....

18. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

Ive read about two theories that allow time travel to the past.

1) You create a wormhole than move one end of it so time will dialate on that side. When you go through the end that was stationary you will come out on the other side earlier than you entered the wormhole because of the time dialation.

2) You get a rapidly spinning high mass object (like a pulsar) it will bend spacetime around it. If it bends it enough theoreticly it can allow travel back in time

19. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Wormholes would be the only way of travelling faster than light.... Well, if you went through a wormhole you wouldn't be travel all that fast, you could probably just fly into it at a normal aircraft speed and appear at it's end instaneously.

Of course this would mean that the universe suffers from it's own form of Alzheimers, where one end of the wormhole would supposedly be in future time in comparison to the other. Although both ends exist at the same level throughout spacetime.

You have to remember that spacetime refers to timing of light ans energy in our universe, if you were to deprive the universe of quanta and make a space a pure void then time would supposely not exist.

As for people talking about travelling at light speed, Try thinking of it like this. from an observer point of view you would be nothing more than light, or an x-ray. This would allow you the chance to penetrate objects (travel through them) But as you travel some of your photons would be absorbed by other mass.

So the further you travel you would have less physical constituancy until you got to the point where you would no longer exist. (or if you tried to re-appear your quantum entanglement would be too unstable and you'd probably die)

I would say the only thing you have to worry about if you travelled through a wormhole would be going too close ot it's walls, since it's walls would comprise of miniture time dialations, that could cause an quantum entangled alzheimer experience should you try appearing in normal space. (you'd appear at multiple times, in multiple places.... And not all together)

20. kmguru Staff Member

Suppose you can travel from New York to Tokyo at light speed. If you start at 10:00 AM from New York and you are 25 years old, what time you will reach Tokyo (NY time)? and at what age?

21. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Lets see, For this one to work Kmguru, you would have to allow the lightspeed travel to only travel (no slowing down or speeding up, or landing) and it would have to follow air paths similar to that of Air Japan.

New York To Tokyo (by Air) 6749 miles (10861 Km) Unless your Phileas Fogg and feel like Circumnavigation, which I can't help you with.

The speed you want to travel is light speed, but this the standard calcuation, not one that differs due to spectrum positioning.

lightspeed = 299'792'458 m/s (metres per second).

Next the fiddley calcs...

1/(Lightspeed m/Distance m) that gives you the number of "seconds".

(I'm sure budding Physicists will convert it to those lovely letters that all Algebra despisors hate)

The given answer is:
    0.036228396379471294104403386959128 secs
    Or 3 and a half nanoseconds, for the rounding off.

The time would be 10:00hr and 3.6 nanoseconds in New York time, and 00:00hr and 3.6 nanoseconds in Tokyo.
    You would be 25 years old and + that 3.6 nanoseconds.

This is just going by paper mathematics, if you were to look at an experiment that was done involving the use of a normal plane and a time piece, the actual answer was they lost seconds, but I think you will find that will be down to Magnetic changes due to landplates and wether the two locations are near to a particular pole.

22. !R.RAMJET.X! Registered Member

Thoughts-
    Time travel to the future is possible by time dilation as demonstrated by the synchronised atomic clocks, one stationary relative to the other travelling at great speeds. Time travel to the future is therefore possible. However, time travel to the past is virtually impossible without using theoretical and exotic structures such as wormholes (and even this i doubt as explained later on). Time travel to the past by time dilation is only possible at superluminal speeds. The faster you travel from a stand still towards the speed of light, the more you will travel into the future relative to the people on earth where you started your journey. Theoretically, if you are at the speed of light, then your time freezes. And if your speed exceeds that of light (superluminal speeds), then time as experienced by you, will reverse. But we all know that according to Einstein, superluminal speeds are impossible because nothing can travel at the speed of light except light itself, let alone faster than it. This law preserves the past in its state and prevents paradoxes such as the grandfather paradox (where, if you travel back in time and kill your grandfather, what will happen to you??). And i also believe that wormholes cannot exist because the nature of the "exotic matter" needed to construct one is not known. Also, if such an object exists, we would not be able to travel backwards in time because the paradoxes that will be encountered will not permit such an action. The end result will most likely be the annihilation of the traveler.

23. LucidDreamer Registered Senior Member

In theory quantum physics allows for time travel through wormholes or warping of space-time, however severe constraints are placed on creating such phenomenon. These constraints are probably insurmountable as it would be necessary to come up with unimaginable amounts of negative energy, somewhere on the order of 10 billion times the mass of the observable universe.

See the following link for more info:

http://www.physics.hku.hk/~tboyce/sf/topics/wormhole/wormhole.html

The point made by Stephen Hawking strikes at the heart of the subject. Where are all the time travellers? And don't tell me about any temporal prime directive or other Star Trek handwavium.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.