About the Member Round 25: James R

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Mr. Hamtastic, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

You are welcome! I hope James and S.A.M. won't take it as an offense though

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

yea well I take it as an offense...instead of james, it should be me.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

No comment!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

actually i was waiting for the image of the tortured looking james standing on mars with Sam in the background bitching about how the "jamian regime has surplanted the poor martians"

8. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

I don't want to be banned

Here is draqon & S.A.M.:

Just kidding, draq ^^. I gotta go now, later!

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

shouldnt that be
    SAM: "thank god we have to wear these suits"

10. draqon Banned Banned

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I don't think 25 million would be enough for that.

uke:

It's amazing how seriously some people take internet forums, and how long they'll hold a grudge, and how nasty and vindictive they'll be prepared to be if given half a chance. I guess for some people, the internet is a major part of their self-esteem.

Anyone who has a degree in anything has accomplished something. It takes work to gain any qualification. Admittedly, physics is intellectually more demanding than some things.

At universities you often hear Arts students disparaging Science students and vice versa, that kind of thing. I think the only people who should be allowed to comment on such issues is those who have done both. Personally, I've come across Arts students who don't know a jot of science, and Science students who can't string two words together into a semi-coherent sentence, let alone critically analyse a text.

Thought, like anything else, takes practice. If you want to build your body, you go to the gym and train, you run, you swim, you lift weights. If you want to build your mind, you have to do some hard thinking. That means reading a lot, thinking about and discussing what you've read, and applying that knowledge. If you want to improve in, say, mathematics, just reading won't be enough. You have to sit down and actually do it yourself, practising problems, checking your work etc. Just thinking about lifting weights won't build any muscles, and just reading some pop science won't make you a scientist. Of course, good teachers are invaluable. A personal trainer will probably get you well-built a lot quicker than you could hope to do it on your own. And a good university course will get you to a certain level of intellectual knowledge and skills quicker than you could get there yourself.

12. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I agree. Some people can't seem to distinguish between themselves and their ideas, they take the comments as being anout them.

This individual was not only someone I had called BS on, and previously reported to the Mods for abusive behaviour, but was also someone that had bragged to me about having literally a dozen user names on this site.

It's quite surprising how people who own a site will react when legal action gets mentioned, of course, it wasn't just the forum owners either, the threat was a photoshoped image of my daughter that had been taken from my MSN account.

I both agree and disagree with this in many respects, different sphere's are difficult in different ways. I find most chemistry cakewalk, trying to learn languages, or music is like... Trying to understand the arcane secrets of the pharoes.

I find this incredible - mostly because in my chemistry degree, one of the papers involved critically reviewing peer reviewed literature, and detailing it's short comings, and another involved critically summarising peer reviewed literature - in otherwords, read, understand, and summarize the paper.

100% agreed.