About salt...is it bad for ya?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Grey Seal, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Grey Seal Guest

not suyre if this goes here, but didnt see any other forum to post it in

I eat ALOT of sunflower seeds. i eat so many that i switch to the reduced sodium ones...id go w/the no salt ones, but they are gross.

anyway, is alot of salt bad for you? what can happen? i eat so many that even if i havent had any for a few days my saliva is still extremely salt, i guess it's just in my body now.

but are there any side affects that are really bad or that i should cut back? or is it harmless?

thanks ...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

If you suffer from high blood pressure, too much salt causes heart attacks, stomach cancer and strokes. And remember, not only sunflower seeds have salt; many other products do so as well. We might all be over the recommended limit.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

As with many nutrients and minerals, salt is necessary for the body to function, but if taken too much it can become harmful, just like a surplus of anything else.

You probably should drink tonnes of water after eating all those sunflower seeds to flush some of the salt out. Otherwise it can build up, and you'd become "Grey Seal: Living Human Salt Lick". You'll have moose and deer all over you!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

Also, too much salt will make you retain water, which could affect the way you feel. The more salt in your body means there's less of a concentration of water, so you start getting bigger.

But if your diet is high in salt, like blue said, "flushing" it out is a good idea.

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

retaining water may make you look fat too!