Abortion Limit: UK

Discussion in 'Politics' started by universaldistress, Oct 12, 2012.

1. universaldistress Extravagantly Introverted ... Valued Senior Member

Proposal: once a woman has found out the sex of her unborn child, her name and the sex of the baby is entered on a computerised national register. Once the sex is known the right to abortion is withdrawn. The implications of this are self explanatory.

Does anyone have any views on this, or indeed the time limit itself being changed from 24 to 22 weeks etc? I personally feel my solution is quite neat. That way the limit need not be lowered. At present people are able to find out the sex and have time to abort within the limit. If a register was established then this sick practise, of sex-based abortion, could be tackled. It wouldn't be especially expensive to set up an online database?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

The right to abortion should never be withdrawn. I'd say instead simply don't tell the woman the sex UNLESS there's some sort of medical reason for doing so.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

Dumb. All this means is that people will buy $800 ultrasound machines on Ebay and do it themselves.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. siledre Registered Senior Member

Abortion is an unfortunate outcome and while I don't condone it, it is not my place to judge or limit what a person does to their own body, I do however think if you don't want a baby then you should take steps to insure you don't by either abstaining or having an operation toward that end, that's goes for men and women.

8. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Many doctors won't give out the womans information because the government doesn't know what the test are being done for many times.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. universaldistress Extravagantly Introverted ... Valued Senior Member

The right for abortion is withdrawn after 24 weeks. I am just suggesting that if someone cares to know the sex, and then has an abortion after finding out, that this is highly suspect. For me sex-based abortion is a sick practise.

10. Neverfly Banned Banned

I know what you intended to say... but the wording of that sentence still leaves me stroking my chin.

11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

It's a good idea to start, but true, it wouldn't prevent people getting their own ultrasound or, more likely, finding unscrupulous people within their community to do such a scan. Some doctors might even allow it. More extreme ideas might work, of course.

12. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Women will not agree to this, obviously. Especially the young ones. It's her body, if she wants to kill a baby inside her, its her right. As for keeping track of women doing abortions, seems too complicated and redundant, plus what happens if she is raped?

13. Neverfly Banned Banned

Content within parenthesis mine:
    All political mumbo jumbo always seems to screech to a halt at that point.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

How many of you who are posting are female? As my wife puts it, she'll care what men think about this subject, "the first time one of you assholes gets pregnant."

I wish we had a way to block men from posting on these threads.

15. universaldistress Extravagantly Introverted ... Valued Senior Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultrasoun..._Equipment_Instruments_ET&hash=item416cb68856

Can't find one for $800 pounds, can you provide a link? Not sure how successfully an untrained person could use the machine either. If people are really so determined to find out the sex of their baby and then have an abortion then any rule could be circumnavigated I suppose, but what I suggest would make it a hell of a lot harder (any life saved is worth a new law). Still think my idea has legs. I suppose this register already exists in a more basic uncombined form, surely any info on abortions after sex has been established is currently held by health professionals. It would only mean a new law be established to say this practise is illegal, and then these records could then be used to enforce it, on a national scale.

16. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Is like saying "I wish we had a way to block women from posting on these threads." Shutting a voice down, does not make anyone any more agreeable to.

17. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Yeah but its another person only after 24 months by law, before that its not a person it is just part of a woman's body, so she can destroy it as she likes.

18. universaldistress Extravagantly Introverted ... Valued Senior Member

She only has a right before 24 weeks, after that the baby is classified as a person I think. No one has the right to kill a person. All I am suggesting is that once the sex is established then abortion shouldn't be allowed, as any decision to have an abortion based on sex is sick. If you ask to know the sex then you are obviously interested in the baby. If you then make the decision to abort after sex is ascertianed then it is going to be damn hard to say it wasn't a sex-based decision. What my thread is really thrusting at is the idea that having an abortion based on sex should be illegal, and should be enforced as such. If a woman is raped and wants an abortion then let her have the abortion, but she doesn't need to know the sex if she wishes to abort: though of course she could find out after the abortion if she really wants to know. I recognise the idea that a woman who has been raped may wish to abort if her foetus is a male, but keep it if it is female, but is an abortion based on sex really something we wish to condone? such a case could be eligible for an exemption anyway I suppose.

Do we really want this practise to continue?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-19621675 The rights of a human being have to begin before birth, for me. But I do feel there is a need for abortion, and it isn't my place to assert limits on any expectant mother; tricky subject. Gender based abortion is not common amongst westerners I am sure, but it is a common practise in certain countries of the world: China, India and Pakistan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex-selective_abortion One just needs to look at sex-ratios of these countries. As it is common practise within these countries one only has to consider the idea that people of these nationalities continue their cultural habits when they move to England or Europe, to come to the conclusion it does happen here. The practise is not widespread here; but I would say that any one foetus being aborted for this reason within the UK, and our complicity, or inaction to stop this happening as a nation, sends out the wrong message to the rest of the world. I do feel that my proposal would be a clear stand that this type of indirect oppression of the validity of women's value in the world is not acceptable.

19. Neverfly Banned Banned

What a sexist comment to make.

There's a point there where it's literally just a cluster of cells and later on a point where it could, (even with help) survive on its own, has a nervous system, etc. Personally, I have an issue with unnecessary killing of something that has a brain.

20. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Ok here is my view on this...imagine a school being built for all the schoolchildren. The builders of this school are essentially women, they have a choice to finish the school so it becomes an essential part of the town infrastructure and evolution. However if these builders decide not to finish building this school at the early stage of its creation, than they have every right to demolish it. A school essentially starts functioning as a school only when it accepts its first children. So does the baby start to function when it first becomes aware and interacts with the world in some sort of way (kicking the belly from within or just moving around). Before that it is just a building...not a school, not a human, but something that has a potential to be, and is it up to the creator to decide its fate.

It seems cruel and it is, but the right is theirs, womens'.

21. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

It's really freaking simple.

Her body, her right to decide. Let me put it this way, no born human has any right to someone else's body, why the hell should this maggot 'baby' get the right to use HER BODY against her will?

22. milkweed Valued Senior Member

OK. So if the man finds out the sex of the unborn child can she still abort the fetus?

The implications are you dont like gender based abortion regardless of other peoples values. Personally, I would not have aborted based on gender but why legislate an unwanted child be born into a household that doesnt want it? Using the typical gender based decision, I believe that the imbalance of girl children vs boy children in china (for example) gives the girl children an advantage when they do decide to marry. The peasant farmer girl wont be stuck with only the choice of another peasant farmer boy to marry. Artifically raises their value to society.

23. Neverfly Banned Banned

The analogy fails because many people wouldn't feel that an inanimate object compares to an intelligent human.
    The problem with this subject is that a zygote is not an intelligent human being. However, an infant is.
    A six year old child isn't developed into a full human, yet, remember. If this child is unwanted, does murdering it seem like a viable option? No. So stages of development do not impress me much. The law has been written on this topic to be as fair as it possibly can. It has a terminator, a shade of gray with a sharp line through it.

Remember your grade school Biology class- it takes two to make a baby. The woman is not the sole creator- she cannot make a baby alone and man cannot make a baby alone.
    The rights of both parents apply.
    Yes, it is- two bodies are involved.
    Because she chose it as well when she was educated as to how babies are made and took it up the crotch. There are many contraceptives available and to wuss out halfway through is unimpressive, at best.

Your views on this topic never fail to be appalling. The maggot, eh?
    You're so busy showing extensive animosity to something you're not even personally dealing with, you're not really thinking through the best arguments for your side.
    As I said above, the way the law is written, you have the right to an early abortion but once you waited long enough, you lose that right, just as you lose it when the infant is born, just as you lost it long before the terrible twos or the annoying age of 6 or the hair pulling teenage years.