Abberant Behavior and profiling

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by glaucon, Aug 15, 2004.

1. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Greetings all,

I'm working on a paper involving criminal behavior and I'm trying to find some information on psychological 'types', e.g., the definitions and difference between psychopathic versus sociopathic, etc. I imagine this is more within the realm of criminal profiling but I'd just like to find actual psychiatric definitions. I have searched, including the APA, strangely, to no avail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    TIA

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

This stuff is covered in High School Psych courses (of course, I do not remember the exact definitions). Look into some psych textbooks.

Um, if it's not too much trouble, post your findings and whatever random info you find interesting

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Um, I can say this much so far: a psychopath is the one that is no longer in touch with reality, while sociopath only displays behavior unacceptable by society (to various extent).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sociopathic
    One who is affected with a personality disorder marked by antisocial behavior.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=psychopathic
    Relating to or affected with an antisocial personality disorder that is usually characterized by aggressive, perverted, criminal, or amoral behavior.

seems the definition of psychopath seems to be fairly limited

although the basic difference = one is social and one is intravertively emotionaly self regulating outside bounderys of comunal living in conjuction with nurture and genral nature of the specific species.

the laymans definition of the more difficult one is psychopath meaning not to have emotional reaction or being void of emotion that might regulate actions in a type of community or situation.
    amazing how far short most dictionarys are, i have missplaced my psychology text books so i cant give you the wrote definition.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.