A third of U.S. adults say they'd be enthusiastic about a microchip implanted in brain

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Plazma Inferno!, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

A third of U.S. adults in a recent Pew Research Center survey said they'd be "enthusiastic" about a brain chip to enhance their thinking power.
    The survey of 4,726 adults examined public attitudes about three emerging technologies that could improve a person's health, cognitive ability or physical capacity.
    Responses showed that a majority of American adults are uneasy, or "worried" about all three. But in all three cases, at least a third of respondents were "enthusiastic."

--Using implanted brain chips to boost our thinking power: 69 percent worried vs. 34 percent enthusiastic.
    --Editing the genes of babies to eliminate hereditary flaws and diseases: 68 percent worried vs. 49 percent enthusiastic.
    --Transfusing synthetic blood to give people much greater speed, strength and stamina: 63 percent worried vs. 36 percent enthusiastic.

While a majority in the survey say they are worried about human enhancements, 81 percent of U.S. adults expect artificially made organs to be routinely available for transplant in 50 years, and 66 percent of Americans say scientists will probably or definitely cure most forms of cancer by 2066.

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/201...a-microchip-implanted-in-brain/7921469557297/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

I am in the 34%. I think being linked to the internet would be cool. Borg me!

Plazma Inferno! likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

They say that on a questionnaire. Not on an operating table.
    Artificial organs for everyone? When half the American population is in favour of wiping out the little bit of medical insurance they already have?
    They say they want to think better, and balk whenever anyone asks them to think at all.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.