A science question for Atheists

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Mind Over Matter, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The second response to his post got it not only 100% correct, but in one sentence! Congrats!
    And I'm sure that's why he hasn't come back now that his question has been answered.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I agree, excellent verbiage Rhaedas!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

All of our long lines of ancestors had sex, many perhaps not even needed to be induced or seduced to it by long lines.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. fringe Registered Member

evolution is a bitch, u either adapt and survive or die. this applies to everything around us as we are the result of successful reproduction of countless generations as with every organism on this planet. evolution is just another way of saying "reproduce before u die" as our environment tries to kill us everyday.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Not every creature seeks to survive. Ants sacrifice themselves for each other, bamboo dies off after a period of time...

9. arauca Banned Banned

I am not sure if evolution is saying any thing, If there is food we will life and reproduce ourself, and we will multiply. If there is no food we will reproduce , but we will die faster then reproduce then we die out.

10. Mind Over Matter Registered Senior Member

I have no more to say on this matter

11. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

I'm not a atheist, still I have some answers to you, I think.

Life only cares about survival as much as it is relevant to the offspring. In old times people seldom survived (through deceases and other external sources) more than 40 years, therefor after 40 evolution hasn't played a great role as people didn't survive that long and because of this we have dangerous genes that evolution hasn't got the chance to select against, that are triggered when we get older (yes, some genes trigger at a specific age), this is a big source for age-related deceases.

Life do care about the community, they set out watch posts to see if there is danger to the group, etc., the fact that we even have a community is to protect it against dangers, both coming from inside the community and outside, like monkeys and other species that live in groups.

12. Mind Over Matter Registered Senior Member

Hi Cyperium,

The fact that our physical body is in essence, a glorified animal, and like any other animal, is designed mostly to propagate the species, should not surprise us. Our life and bodies operate fully on animal principles. We are called to overcome them by our mind and will (human soul).

These naturalbodies are not designed to last forever, but simply to walk us to our pnuematikon soma, spiritual body, Whereas we are now a glorified animal, we have yet to experience the glorified human being.

13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

No.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

1. Everything living dies.
    2. Everything that cannot die is not living.
    3. Therefore if humans are eternal, they are already dead.

15. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Yes, I believe that if we didn't have free will we would operate on animal instincts. The rest of what you say may be correct or may be incorrect, we just can't know since as you said, we haven't experienced it yet. You express it as if it was knowledge, when it's, in fact, another belief-system. Different conclusions can be made depending on what we already know. Sometimes asserting things without proof can be a way to see what logically would happen in that case, find the things you need to assert for your idea to be true.

16. billvon Valued Senior Member

We have free will AND we operate on animal instincts. It's not an either/or.

17. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Sorry, I wrote that in a clumpsy way, I meant of course that we would only operate on animal instincts otherwise, I know that animal instincts are still a part of us, although partly obscured by our free will and higher order of thoughts.

18. markl323 Registered Senior Member

life is just different ways of energy transformations, similar to the birth and the death of stars. living things don't "try" to survive. mutations happen randomly, some new mutations help with adapting and survival, some don't. the ones that do will get to live. that's why they appear to be "trying."

the concept of "trying" doesn't exist until a species is smart enough to question about these things and attach the meaning "try" to this process.

19. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

What are "animal principles", and how are they to be distinguished from non-animal ones?

20. Mind Over Matter Registered Senior Member

"Animal principles" are those governing animal life, including the life in our human bodies, which is the same. These principles are those of reflex and instinct, and governed by the senses, natural urges, and lower brain functions. They include the hunger instinct, the sexual instinct, the fighting instinct, the herd instinct, self preservation, etc.

The animal principles are amoral; an ape is not "sinning" by gratifying it's sexual instincts however it can, because it has no rational soul, where sin can reside. Morality, and the desire for eternal life, are part of the purely human peinciples that reside in our human soul.

21. butlerkarl Registered Member

They want to live because they have a purpose, a reason to live. Even an animal wouldn't just stand there and let itself be killed, it maybe because they have offsprings to take care of, or they have a responsibility in the colony, etc. That same principle applies to man as well, only those who have a purpose for living continues to want to do so, (because those who are devastated and does not see the point in living wishes death instead...)

22. Mr K Registered Senior Member

One can accept the notion that there is no point to life without being suicidal. The key is to be content with there being no point, and to not cling onto life. Just accept life as it is, and enjoy it while it's here.

This seems to be a hard concept for many to realize (not you specifically Karl, as I don't know you), though I think it would improve many people's happiness to not cling onto life, or the self's selfish desires (such as immortality of the body or the soul).

The soul may be permanent; there is no way of knowing for certain. However, the fact that the soul may not be permanent creates the anxiety that causes many people to cling to the idea that it is permanent. Such anxiety can be relieved by the simple acceptance and embrace of mortality, which allows for clearer contemplation of the issue (from which one may still conclude that they believe there is a God and an immortal soul...and that's a legitimate assessment if derived on a clear mind).

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  23. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

A point placed upon life would be a restriction; no point is a liberation.