A question about rays of light

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by mgwisni, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Greco Registered Senior Member

Scientists talk about space bending or warping doesnt that imply that space has structure? How can nothing have structure? They also mention that light or any EM wave will follow any space curvature. Does that mean space geometry determine EM wave travel and if so what kind of geometry is that?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zarkov Banned Banned

>>Light does not have a medium, the Michelson-Morley experiment in the 19th century demostrated that the idea of a luminiferous ether was incorrect.

One interpretation is that the field we are immersed in is inertial, therefore the aether is inertial, therefore it affects light to the same degree in any direction.

To understand this see electrodynamic spin gravity papers, available from a link in this section.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

But the cpacitance of a fixed system has a fixed value, so all you are saying is that if we choose U, then that changes the dielectric value for the system, according to whatever units we decide to use.

The point is, that all of these physical constants are not in isolation, each one has a relationship with another. It is not their value, that is of interest, but rather their relationships. Saying we set an abitrary value for one (U) and saying that value is meaningless rather misses the point that they all interact. Tweak one value, they all change.

Now, if it was possible that the values could be tweaked so U was zero, then would that not be a more 'common sense' value to describe vacuum? Could that be done, ......?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Greco Registered Senior Member

[ [/B][/QUOTE]
    Okay so far, so if if I pointed a laser at an oscillating strong EM field and looked at the laser beam with polarised glasses I should be able to see the laser oscillating at the rate of the EM field oscillations, is that correct?

If the answer is yes, next question is, why cant a magnetic field bend a light beam instead of just rotating it. Isnt that what happens inside a CRT? I understand that the beam is made up of electrons but dont moving electrons create EM fields?

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

<b>phlogistician</b>:

<i>But the cpacitance of a fixed system has a fixed value, so all you are saying is that if we choose U, then that changes the dielectric value for the system, according to whatever units we decide to use.</i>

It doesn't change the physical characteristics of the system, of course. It only changes the numerical values given to them.

<i>The point is, that all of these physical constants are not in isolation, each one has a relationship with another.</i>

Yes, and the basic choices you need to make to uniquely determine a system of units are values of c and u (in vacuo), as I said.

<i>Saying we set an abitrary value for one (U) and saying that value is meaningless rather misses the point that they all interact. Tweak one value, they all change.</i>

I didn't say it was meaningless. I said the choice of u in a vacuum is arbitrary (except that it can't be zero).

<i>Now, if it was possible that the values could be tweaked so U was zero, then would that not be a more 'common sense' value to describe vacuum? Could that be done, ......?</i>

No. As I said before, Maxwell's equations only hold for non-zero values of u.

<b>Greco</b>:

<i>Okay so far, so if if I pointed a laser at an oscillating strong EM field and looked at the laser beam with polarised glasses I should be able to see the laser oscillating at the rate of the EM field oscillations, is that correct?</i>

No, because the wavelengths of the oscillations are too small, and the frequencies are too high for your eye to see the oscillations. You'd need some other kind of detector - such as a photomultiplier tube.

<i>If the answer is yes, next question is, why cant a magnetic field bend a light beam instead of just rotating it. Isnt that what happens inside a CRT? I understand that the beam is made up of electrons but dont moving electrons create EM fields? </i>

The light for a CRT is created when electrons hit the phosphor coating of the screen, depositing energy, which gets converted to light. The steering of the beam involves steering the electrons. Electrons are charged particles, and so are affected by both electric and magnetic fields. Light photons, on the other hand, are uncharged.

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

Hoorah! We're there! The formula for determining the relationship between the values is fixed by the physical system. The units are arbitrary, but the value of u will never be non-zero for a vacuum, no matter what units we choose, no matter what arbitrary values we choose for c.

Does it make sense that _nothing_ has an attribute with a value?

So, does the fact that _nothing_ has a speed limit of c make sense? Nope, just something we accept, but we don't understand it.

Doesn't matter how arbitrary we think the values are, the implications are significant.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

phlogistician:

<i>Hoorah! We're there! The formula for determining the relationship between the values is fixed by the physical system. The units are arbitrary, but the value of u will never be non-zero for a vacuum, no matter what units we choose, no matter what arbitrary values we choose for c.</i>

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That's what I've said all along.

<i>Does it make sense that _nothing_ has an attribute with a value?</i>

Well, it also makes sense to say that two points in empty space are separated by a distance of 3 kilometres, or that the speed of light in empty space has a non-zero value, so it's not really that surprising that we can associate certain values with "empty" space. But it is a jump from there to draw the conclusion that empty space is a medium.

<i>So, does the fact that _nothing_ has a speed limit of c make sense?</i>

Space doesn't have a speed of limit of c. Objects travelling in space have a speed limit of c. That has more to do with the objects than the space.

<i>Doesn't matter how arbitrary we think the values are, the implications are significant.</i>

That's where we differ, isn't it?