A man's scent.

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Treval, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Treval Banned Banned

Greetings.

As many of you may know, women are mostly attracted to men if they like their 'natural smell', their scent, and vice versa. It has been scientifically tested as such you read on here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottop...ve/senses.shtml

We all inhabit the primitive primate circuits and therefor we are all, essentially, animals.

Now, I want to know if women like men's scent because of it is chemically imprinted in their nose organ or because they smell 'sweet', or something else? And can you actually manipulate the way you smell by proper eating and a good health (the same way that you can do that by being healthy so your sperm tastes different)?

Treval

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

As far as I am aware, changing what you eat will affect how you smell.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Phemorones are more effective in carnal attraction than actual smell, which can deceive by the use of perfumes, sweat or diet.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Winner of Discontent i am a banana Registered Senior Member

i can't remember where i read this or whether i believe it really...but the claim went something like this: the perfumes/scents we choose for ourselves tend to compliment our natural smell and make it more pronounced. in many cases, people are loyal to a chosen scent, and if they happen to switch chances are the newer has a similar chemical makeup to the former. again, not sure i believe it and haven't read much on it, but i do find the concept interesting. this is tied to pheromones, no? pheromones may be low on the obvious detection scale and can be somewhat hidden by unnatural means, but pheromones are reference to natural scent aren't they?

diet can surely affect how you smell. better diet could also mean passing on better genes hence more potential mates because subconsciously (if you take emotion out of personal relationships) the goal is to create viable offspring that will flourish.

8. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Different perfumes cause a chemical reaction with different skin types and hence you can have one that smells beautiful on one person while the same one can smell awful on another. Pheromones work on an altogether much more subtle level where there is no obvious smell as such even though transmitted chemicals and receptors interplay between people, you could say that pheromones are like invisible or telepathic smells.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Pheromones are "unconscious" smells. They are picked up by the olfactory system and transmitted to the brain in the same way as odors, but they are processed in older parts of the brain that don't give us the conscious sensation of odors.