A little help from IE users needed

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Avatar, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Hi,
    I've been making one quite simple (as requested) web page for one musician, so it should be seen on all browsers with no real problems, but with IE I can't be sure of anything. The page has a simple two frame layout.

http://piparmetra.net/pienene/

What would be wonderful is if someone with the latest IE 6 screen shots
    <> the first page
    <> albumi
    and <> jaunumi

and puts it on http://imageshack.us/ for example for me to check out how it looks, or you can send to -> neDELETETHISgaiss@gmail.com <-

It's late evening already, have to show it off in the morning,
    don't have IE6 on my Linux machine

much appreciated,
    thanks!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Great!! Thank You very much, Xerxes!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Haha.. oh crap. That's firefox. Hang on while I get the IE shots.

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

LOL!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And I already started to marvel on how good (according to my code) it looks.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Not bad. I'm a bit annoyed by that small text below the menu collapsing into three lines when I intended only 2, but it probably has to do something with how IE understands font size. :/

p.s. I've been told several times that creating a web page on Linux is next to impossible. And while there is no Dreamweaver for Linux, the process it's not so bad. I haven't attempted to do something more complicated on Linux though (has been no need).

11. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Ugh.. I hate Dreamweaver. Linux is preferable for nearly ALL web programming. As a rule, your code should never be complicated to the point that it needs to be modified visually.

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Admittedly there are many differences between IE and Mozilla.

One is that Form boxes in IE don't fit in Tables correctly, they always push spaces below the text entry boxes etc, making formatting a nightmare.

another is that PNG Transparency Alpha channels work well in Firefox however when it comes to IE they bomb big time, so it leaves you stuck with using GIF's to get the result (Which is not near as nice.)

There are other small quirks too, however they are numourous and too obscure to remember to mention.

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I can still remember making my very first spuriousmonkey site in HTML with a simple table. At that time I was using Opera. I looked at it and it was great. Exactly what I wanted.

Then I looked with IE. It made a mockery of my table layout putting spaces in between table components.

Here is a copy (with lots of broken links) of the old site:

http://old2.spuriousmonkey.com/

It still looks better with opera than firefox though. IE is the ultimate crap for this site.

(hmm...I feel a bit nostalgic now. I almost like the old design than the new one...weep)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.