A fly hitting a train

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by alexb123, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

We prob all know that if a fly flys into a train, a part of the train must stop for a split second because the fly's motion must be reversed.

But how can a fly effect only a part of a sturcture? Surely the fly vs speeding solid metal does not seem a fair fight? Can it really have an impact that it would stop a small section of the train? I know that it must be the case but it is very hard to see, can someone explain?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Light Registered Senior Member

No, no "part" of the train is "stopped" even for a micro-millisecond. The forward motion of the fly (it's inertia) is instantly converted into heat energy upon impact with the train. Since the train's inertia is larger (by a factor of millions) the train, of course, is completely unaffected.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Except for that little red splotch it now sports, of course.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Light Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Ha!

8. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

The train is slowed down by an immeasurable, but calculable amount.

9. Light Registered Senior Member

Agreed. But it would be SO small that I don't think I'd even want to calculate it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. phlogistician Banned Banned

Don't think about speed, but momentum. If you think that the fly is travelling one direction, at speed X, then hits the train, and is if then going the opposite way at speed Y, then yes, it implies at some point that the flies velocity must equal zero, and as it is in contact with the train, the train must also stop.

BUT, if you consider momentum, all you do is sum the momentum of the two objects, so;

MassTrain x VelocityTrain - MassFly x VelocityFly = post impact momentum.

Then divide the new momentum by the mass of the train, and you see how much the train actually slowed down.

Impulses are kinda difficult to get your head around but if you think about momentum, it's easier.

11. Facial Valued Senior Member

Quite right - turns out to be just about a billion.

12. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Although if it was a very large fly and a very small train..........

13. Facial Valued Senior Member

If it was a model train slamming into a carpenter bee, you might be able to measure it.

14. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

In France they have these really big flies. Looks like bluebottles half the size of your fist. I think they click, or buzz. Odd things. What exactly are they?

15. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Nah, the fly goes "splat" I've seen it a million times with all kinds of vehicles. Fly goes "splat" ev'ry time.

16. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

You aren't looking at it from the point of view of the atoms of the train at ground zero. They go splat too.

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

If you are referring to fly blood, it is milkish in colour, or sometimes blueish, but I haven't seen it red yet.

Unless it was a female moquito that just ate hits the train.

18. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

how about a really fast train? could a big insect put a dent if it hit square on the pointy tip of a TGV going 300mph? if not an insect, what would it take, kicked up gravel?

19. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Every time I have ever swatted a fly with my fly-swatter, there is a big red blob left where I swatted it.

20. draqon Banned Banned

All I see is red mosquitos splattered on the windshield...why red?...well thats my blood of course...thats what they get for stealing part of me.

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

A proton is around 10^-25 meters in diameter and electrons are a good deal smaller than that. The distance between the subatomic particles in an atom is around 10^-8 meters, 10^17 times as great. If an atom were magnified so that the protons were a millimeter in diameter, the nearest electrons would be ten thousand light-years away! So you can see that the "solid objects" we perceive consist almost entirely of empty space.

When two objects collide, their protons and neutrons and electrons are not in very much danger of actually touching one another! They slide right past, so that only their force fields interact.

So when the fly "hits" the train, what really happens is that its leading atoms move close enough to the leading atoms in the locomotive that its subatomic particles are as close to the subatomic particles of the train as the train's own subatomic particles are to each other. Not close enough to come in contact, but close enough that the force fields start to interact. There are so many atoms that the combined subatomic force fields are sufficient to exert a measurable kinetic force on both objects. It's not enough force to slow the train down perceptibly, but it is more than enough force to stop the fly and actually start it moving in the opposite direction. Of course, this happens after the fly's molecular structure is scrambled by that force first.

22. Facial Valued Senior Member

That's awfully small... shouldn't it be 10^-15 meters?

23. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

And this is why objects never touch, they merely levitate against each other at a distance of 1 angstrom, or so. A Short History of Nearly Everthing FTW!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.