A few sample physics questions for Reiku

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by James R, Jan 23, 2012.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Reiku:

Well, that's disappointing.

Out of the five questions I posted, you got one almost entirely correct (though that one was a basic maths question not a physics one), one almost entirely wrong, and you didn't even attempt the rest.

For somebody who said he'd breeze through an undergraduate course in Physics, this is a pretty poor effort.

Why are you quitting? Because it's too hard? Because you're worried that too many people will see you make more mistakes? Because you don't know where to start with the rest of the questions?

These questions really should have required very little effort from you (although I admit that posting LaTeX takes time). It seems to me that maybe first-year Physics wouldn't quite be the "breeze" for you that you said it would be.

If you don't know this stuff, which is fairly foundational (e.g. one question is on basic waves in one dimension, another is about an ideal gas with a little thermal physics and a third is on basic Newtonian dynamics), then I don't know how you can write a book on quantum consciousness (with mathematics).

I'm interested. What, exactly, do you spend your four Physics hours a day doing? Because if you can't answer these 1st-year questions then it looks like those four hours a day aren't very productive. I'd hate to think you were wasting your time doing useless stuff that doesn't even contribute to your knowledge of physics. That would just be sad - to devote 1/6 of your life to a pursuit that is getting you nowhere at all.

I remind you of your own words again:

Why didn't you just fly through these questions? These are 1st year questions!

If you learned so much, why haven't you studied ideal gases or basic thermodynamics? Why can't you do a question about friction and circular motion? Why don't you know the basic form of a sinusoidal wave function?

Surely, if you know any quantum physics at all, you ought to be completely comfortable with sinusoidal waves, at least. Plane wave solutions, as you know, are the most basic solutions in quantum mechanics, applying to free particles.

I know you'd like us all to think that you're having a tantrum and taking your ball and going home because of nasty men like funkstar and Guest254 and myself criticising your answers. You don't need our criticism. You know all this stuff and you have nothing to prove. Right?

Well, the fact is, you simply haven't lived up to your own boasts about your ability. It's not the fault of the nasty men that you're in this mess. Once again, it's entirely your own fault. You made a big deal about how much you know, and now you've been found out again.

This is another opportunity to learn a lesson, Reiku. And it's the same lesson again: don't pretend to be something you are not. If you can't back up your boasts with something concrete, then don't boast in the first place. You just end up making yourself look a bit pathetic.

Anyway, with this thread finished now, I guess the bottom line is that I don't want to hear any more nonsense from you about how you could breeze through undergraduate courses because you already know all that stuff. Clearly, this is just empty rhetoric from you.

Try to be a bit more humble in future, ok?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

I'd question this. Without showing the work the eigenvector part is pretty much worthless, and the eigenvalue solution is definitely not flawless, either.

(Oh, and given your last post, I consider it very fitting that this is in the "Life" sub-section of the forum.)

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Call it a tantrum, call it fessing up to a lack of knowledge... either way, any more "professing proficiency" in physics from you can be taken as nothing more than a bare-toothed and utter LIE... don't expect anyone to fall for your tricks Reiku... and don't worry about your "reputation"... you've soiled that yourself just fine. It just amazes me that it came to all this drama and yet you STILL profess innocence and knowledge.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

You feed hypocrites with bad presenting. Let me be explicit.

How you presented:

Here's an answer
    I need more time
    Here's another answer without showing you much work
    I still need more time, stfu naysayers.
    ... blahblahblah

How you should have presented:

Here are all the answers, and all the work associated.

---

When you go to the publishers with your book, you have already failed if you bring the same presentation skills you use here.

You should focus more on presentation is what I'm saying. You've set yourself up to be 'the boy who cries wolf'.

8. Ripley Valued Senior Member

Well, despite everything—does Reiku show any genuine affection for physics?

God, talk about eating your own.

9. CptBork Valued Senior Member

And I've been saying it for years now- instead of wasting his time with all this quantum flapdoodle, he could have had at least a proper high school science education by now, maybe even a bit of undergrad. There are certain corners that simply can't be cut, not even by Gauss himself (indeed, Gauss never cut any corners whatsoever, he knew practically everything there was to know in his time).

10. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

It's funny how Reiku didn't even spot plane wave solutions yet he's arguing how he understands the Dirac equation, left and right moving plane waves and even their Fourier transforms. Here he posts about plane wave components for spinors and here explict actual plane wave solutions! Yet when he's required to do something with them, even recognise them, he can't do it.

Reiku, this is why the fact you can post equations doesn't mean its evidence you can do anything with them. If you didn't realise \(e^{i(\omega t - kx + c)} = \cos (\omega t - kx + c) + i \sin (\omega t - kx + c)\), they are plane wave solutions. In fact, the question James asked about them isn't even university level, knowing what the various terms in \(f(t) = A \sin (\omega t + \omega_{0})\) is A Level physics, I remember doing it. Working out string tensions is also A Level, both mathematics and physics.

And all of the plane wave stuff comes up in the definitions of quantum fields, yet you were trying to school James on the stuff.

In this thread not just me, not just the mathematicians/physicists, not just the moderators, but a wide variety of people have voiced how transparent your nonsense is. As James points out, if you're really spending 4 hours a day on this stuff then you're wasting 1/6 of your existence, never mind the time you spend writing your 'essays'. If you spent your time wisely you could know A Level physics and maths by now. It's not hard (not on the scale of things), some pretty thick friends of mine from comprehensive school managed to pass A Levels in them. Presently you're below that level of understanding. If you really want to understand physics, as indicated by the amount of time you're pumping into it, you need to change your approach and your general attitude. Else you'll squander the next 4 years like you have the last. This isn't an insult, it's an honest piece of advice.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  11. Reiku Banned Banned

I profess some knowledge.

In the end, alphanumeric said to me I would not be able to pass a first year university class. I beg to differ.

My point was to him, was that I would have been able to pass a unversity class if I started studying and moving up the same channels he once did. What I have said has been used against me in the thread, people taking that to mean I have some superior knowledge to everyone else. I don't - and I don't know why people say things like this.

So many here, AN and the likes, have often said I ''misrepresent'' my knowledge.

I don't need to, when I have so many here capable of doing that for me.

12. Reiku Banned Banned

I did actually.

I simply asked a question, which no one replied to in the end.

I don't often see equations written in the style of the value taking over the ''variables'' involved. If that had been a geniune class, the equations would have been provided, such as, what would the frequencies value be.

13. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

You just demonstrated you couldn't. You couldn't do questions asked of A Level students. You couldn't even get into a university course if you couldn't do some of those, let along progress through the 1st year and pass it!

Regardless of whether this sound arrogant I'll say it, I'm certain you couldn't even get into my old university, never mind progress through it.

No, no one is taking it to mean that. Why are you misrepresenting people in the very thread where everyone is posting?

You claim to be able to pass undergraduate exams without having properly studied the material, it's all been self taught. The evidence is you couldn't. Thus your claims about your abilities/knowledge are false, demonstrably false

No, you just misrepresented us. You claim to have a particular level of knowledge which would allow you to pass particular exams/courses. You've been given many opportunities to demonstrate that, in fact the level of questions you've been asked are considerably lower than your self professed level. You've failed to justify your claims.

You couldn't pass an undergrad 1st year exam. You can't even do basic homework questions for A Level students. You certainly can't do material pertaining to the Dirac equation in anything close to a working level. And no, multiplying 2x2 matrices doesn't cut it, that's A Level again and even then you struggle to deal with them.

Reiku, it's daft to lie about yourself. It's even dafter to lie about what we are saying in the very thread we supposedly said it in! No one has said "Reiku believes himself superior in knowledge to everyone!". We're saying the level of knowledge/understanding/ability you claim you have is nowhere near where it actually is. It's considerably lower.

14. Reiku Banned Banned

How would you know? I did afterall say, ''all the correct channels'' meaning I would not expect to go into university with out all the required teaching. My arguement to you, was simple from the start. I think you have been reading this to mean, that without any teaching I would still be able to pass. I don't think that at all.

I said to you that I would arguably swim through the first semester because I generally know quite a few things, this is why I mentioned the college test to you, it was done with only a few people who actually knew what they were doing, even after the students had been taught. I'd naturally soak in all the stuff, just as I would in uni.

15. Reiku Banned Banned

''No, you just misrepresented us. You claim to have a particular level of knowledge which would allow you to pass particular exams/courses.''

Yeah, I said with the knowledge I have I would swim through the first semester. If I had any intentions meaning that to state that I do not require teaching, then you are gravely mistaken, afterall, if that was the case, why would I use a hypothetical example of an entire semester? I might as well just pass to the tests if I thought I was so knowledgable!

16. Reiku Banned Banned

''You claim to be able to pass undergraduate exams without having properly studied the material, it's all been self taught. ''

I've never once said that. You have SAID THAT. I have never said this.

17. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Where?

Where?

Nonsense. The question contains all the required information. You can compute the frequency from the question. What do you know of 'genuine' (or your version 'geniune'

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) classes anyway? Even at A Level you're expected to be able to handle the general expressions as well as cases where you have specific numbers. Besides, James got these either directly from or slightly tweaked actual exam questions, so saying "Oh a real class wouldn't have done it like that" is false. The question was easily answerable for someone competent at A Level physics, never mind someone who'd easily handle a 1st year undergrad exam as you claim you could.

The evidence is against you, you couldn't answer the question. Saying "No one answered my question about it" is a laughably bad excuse because if you were competent at this stuff you'd not need to ask any questions, you'd just do it. In fact that question is so simple you can do much of it without putting pen to paper, you can just read off some of the answers!

Your excuses might cut it with people who know nothing about physics/mathematics but numerous people in this thread, including James, know the relevant areas of physics/mathematics. You're not going to be able to lie your way out of it by somehow saying you weren't provided enough information or something wasn't clear. Any one of the physics/maths people here could sit down and go through the questions one after the other in very little time. You're claiming competency to at least mid-undergrad level, which is above all of those questions by quite some way. You have no excuse, you can only admit you couldn't do them.

Since everyone here knows that your continued lying only serves to highlight the issues Bells brought up. You've previously said you'll accept corrections, you don't mind that, and that you don't lie. By not saying "Yeah, I couldn't do them" you're contradicting yourself. Again.

18. Reiku Banned Banned

''Regardless of whether this sound arrogant I'll say it, I'm certain you couldn't even get into my old university, never mind progress through it.''

And never once have I stated I wanted in your university. You have SAID THAT, I have never said that.

19. Reiku Banned Banned

Well I never wrote it, I was waiting for someone to answer my question.

20. Reiku Banned Banned

Why?

When James posted these questions, I had been extremely buisy. It just so happens James said, take your time, in fact, as long as I wanted. So why is presenting work in pieces such a crime, especially if James had every intention replying to each part seperately?

21. Reiku Banned Banned

I know, I was being obtuse.

22. Reiku Banned Banned

And trippy, just because K is a constant, anything with an equal sign is an equation.

23. Reiku Banned Banned

My point of mentioning F=Mg is because

F/M = g

g is still a constant, but F/M = g is still an equation.