A Christian's POV

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by ggazoo, May 29, 2006.

1. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

1) Yes you should have, as you've said at least twice now.

2) Besides the fact that I never snicker you are just as guilty of stereotyping and intolerance as anyone else among us. You have no idea of what motivates my posting. As cato said, just because some of us have no more patience for polite repartee with religiopsychopathologies, dosen't make our points any less valid. They just upset you more. And I think that's our purpose. A respectful approach to religion works for some, while a blunt approach works better for some who see religion as a harmful mental virus (meme).

I used to be of the "I think that if you examine your framework of understanding regarding your position on evidence vs faith, you may find that claiming objective status for your "diety" is a bit off the mark, old chap" school of repartee. Fuck that. There is reality, and there is fantasy. Made-up stories without evidentiary support are fantasy.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

If religious right expect people to be all nicey nicey in the face of the unparalleled irrationality, then they are in the wrong place.

From the most dangerous fundamentalist, to the Christian apologists... they all share an ideology that doesn't have a pleasant past or present effect on society.

History shows the further you push secularism, all the better for politics, law and society as a whole. So it's best not to mince words when talking to people who hold these views.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

My condolences on your families loss.

But your statement above does not really state anything about your father-in-law being "there" - what does that mean exactly? Was he actually there in the flesh, alive? Did you see a ghost? Please explain what you meant when you said, "He was there."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

See? You said that much better than me. That's what I was trying to say. Thanks KJC.

8. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

Im pretty open minded but unless I would see it and touch this dead ghost or spirit with my own hands I would suspect you were just dreaming
    I noticed that believers always atribute ANYTHING good that happens in their lifes to God,while the bad shyt is someone elses fault
    why dont the preachers THANK god when tornado or huricane or earthquake kills whole bunch of people?
    it was an act of God after all,for He created everything didnt he?
    why then cant he come down from the sky and show us he exists ??
    my guess is hes just a corpse .
    read the bible and how god is described and you'll find out that hes just like humans,evil jelous etc....most atheist heck most humans behave way better
    www.evilbible.com
    thats just one of many apologies theists use to explain god,its pretty lame
    and you know this HOW exactly?
    anyways even if it was so what,we dont measure time by gods clock but by the sun!

9. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Ggazoo,

Many thanks for sharing your personal story, but be aware that it will be analyzed and you might find that painful. Stay with it and try to be objective.

We have seen many such stories here and while they are emotionally charged they never contain any facts that can be substantiated. There are also three main ingredients, emotionally charged to create sympathy for the author, an assertion that some event has occurred that appears impossible, and an assertion that a personal experience has occurred that can only be of a supernatural caliber. Other assertions are also usually included such as claims to sanity, emphasis on objectivity and non-emotionalism.

Your story has all of the essential elements. There is also usually a respected second person that is influencing the author. We have seen this before as a priest, an evangelist, a parent, or a peer who has profound faith. Certainly some element of indoctrination is typical.

Under closer scrutiny several usual factors come to light. The story is never an accurate record of events; embellishments, exaggeration, misdirection, and omissions are typical and universal, whether deliberate or not, it doesn’t matter, they will be present.

So all we need now is for CSI to investigate the mystery and highlight the errors in the story. An accurate assessment of the facts will shake your faith.

Incidentally, atheists specifically do not claim to have it all figured-out, they primarily do not know whether gods exist or not, they simply find the god concept unconvincing. They do not make any consistent assertions as to alternatives.

10. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Thanks for sharing your experiences ggazoo. You say you have been reading this forum for a few months now? Surely you should have realised the kind of reaction your post would get in here?

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

11. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i understand why he posted it, but he should have known that NO approach will soften the hearts of non-believers unless they want it to happen.

*shrug*

exactly the reasons that i dont justify my religious beliefs here.

12. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

The Devil,

I.e. substitute reason for emotionalism.

13. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

no, he was trying to "minister" to non-spiritual people.
    it is futile, as are all attempts. *shrug*
    not that i particularly care though.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!