A can of Pringles, anyone?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by curioucity, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Hi

First off, in case you don't know Pringles, it just another potato chip snack served in cylindrical can (not actually a can, since it's paper-based). I have a question here:
    Just now, I have my Pringles can on the table lying (as opposed to standing) and there's still bits of potato chips inside. When I press the can downward in such way that the can begins to spin (like a wheel), I notice that the potato bits move away from its base out of the can. How can this be?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

How does pressing down cause it to spin? the problem I would say, has to do with the pressing rather than spinning. By pressing the can, u decrease its volume and increase the air pressure. This results in an outward flow of air that the bits get caught up in.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Facial Valued Senior Member

If I remember correctly, there should be small grooves of helical impressions in the interior of the can, no? This should be an explanation.

If the can is spinning fast for a certain amount of time, the can should've moved a sufficient amount of air adjacent to the interior wall to spin along with it. The centripetal force creates an outwards pressure, and the air flows out of the opening. And it should carry the bits of potato chip with it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. i_like_swords Banned Banned

its like the barrel of a gun the grooves slowly push it out

8. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

oh my god people, WOW, get a life!

9. i_like_swords Banned Banned

Ill shoot you with my pringles shooter ^^

10. SKULLZ Banned Banned

Pringles are a government experiment in alien technology...but you already knew that right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. river-wind Valued Senior Member

is there a chance that the tube is actually resting at a slight downward incline?

What happens if you repeat the experiment with the tube facing the other way?

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I would think centrifugal force would propell the small chips towards both ends of the can. If they are only flying out of the open end, perhaps it has something to do with static electricity.

On a similar note, I once visited the research and development department of Proctor and Gamble, who makes pringles, and they had crafted perfect replicas of pringles out of plastic for use in- get this- wind tunnel testing!

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I think river-wind has the key.
    On the closed end of the can, there is a metal ring.
    There is no ring on the open end.

14. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

:bugeye: Did they explain WHY?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They had to know how fast a pringle would fall through the air, so they could engineer the production and packaging equipment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.