900-pound pygmy sperm whale became stranded

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by cosmictraveler, Feb 24, 2008.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

This happened right down the road from where I live. It happens all the time it seems nowadays. Most of the time the poor creatures never get any better and die before they are released.I can only hope this one makes it for there are fewer and fewer of this type of whale around today.

KEY LARGO, Fla. -- Wildlife authorities are investigating why a 900-pound pygmy sperm whale became stranded in shallow waters in the Florida Keys.

The 9-foot male was discovered by a local fisherman Saturday about 8 a.m. near Islamorada. With the help of the fire department, wildlife officials lifted the animal onto a boat and took it to the Marine Mammal Conservancy in Key Largo.

Conservancy chairman Art Cooper says the mammal is in guarded condition and will undergo tests. Experts were surprised that the whale was stranded because it had no obvious injuries.

http://www.miamiherald.com/775/story/430525.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I just realized there have been humans that weighed more than that.

Sorry, I hate whales, I did a little mental cheer of "YES!" before I realized I should feel bad. <sigh> I'm going to hell.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

What in the world do you have against whales? That must be the most unpopular opinion I've heard in years!

Besides, the sperm whale isn't exactly a whale. It's the largest species of "toothed whale." All the other "toothed whales" are called dolphins and porpoises, except possibly the orca, which is often inaccurately called the "killer whale." None of the true whales have teeth, they have baleen to filter their food instead of chewing it.

The sperm whale is really just a gigantic dolphin.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

really? Well then apparently you never read my opinion on horse fighting.

whales/phobia, same thing.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yeah, I read that. If you scroll through the thread you'll see that my thoughts weren't too dissimilar.
    Well okay, we all understand phobias. It's easy to be scared by whales. They're bigger than dinosaurs, more intelligent than elephants, and as warm-blooded air-breathers their advantage over you in the water is greater than sharks. Gee, put it that way and they do seem kind of scary.

So it might help to drill on the fact that except for the sperm whale, which is not a whale at all but a misnamed dolphin, whales are not carnivorous. For the very good reason that they ain't got no teeth! They couldn't hurt you unless you killed one of their babies and they got mad and smacked you with their tail. They can't kick 'cause they ain't got no feet and they can't even bonk you with their head 'cause they ain't got no neck.

If you want to be wary of sperm "whales," you're in good company with a long line of mythological figures from Jonah to Captain Ahab. At least they have teeth.

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

10. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

original link is dead

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Apparently this was not an isolated occurrence. The new story has a happier ending.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The whale has died that I originally posted about. :bawl:

13. lightgigantic Banned Banned

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That's a shame. But we can take comfort in the fact that this species is not on the brink of extinction. The smaller marine cetaceans, such as this one, seem to have stable populations. They will probably be safe since humanity is slowly developing an affection for them, exceptions notwithstanding. The biggest threat to them may be military sonar. The U.S. government is currently embroiled in a court battle between different branches of itself over this issue. In ten months when the current administration steps down there may be a resolution.

15. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_whale_species
    wiki disagree's with you