9/11 and Duran Duran...

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Undecided, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Undecided Banned Banned

Now look at the lyrics of the song "Wild Boys" and think about 9/11:

Is it just me?

To me this part of the song reminds me about the war in Iraq for the Iraqi's. Imo its really eerie...

:m:

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

stop taking drugs

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yes, I see the similarity. But considering the direction the world has been going in since shortly after Perestroika, most thoughtful people had images like these floating around in their minds. There's nothing in here that wouldn't have fit just as well with any post-Paradigm Shift war, i.e. one fought on at least one side by individuals rather than armies. As for evoking specifically images of Iraq, well duh, where would anyone have expected the next war to occur: the Middle East.

Simon and crew were not prescient. They just had the same fears and anxieties as all of us. They're just more creative and articulate so they put them into words. Not very well by their standards either, I have to say. I don't know what this song sounds like musically, but judging by the lyrics this is not their best work by a long shot.

Don't read too much into stuff like this, it happens all the time. It's not so much a coincidence as a manifestation of the collective unconscious.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Undecided Banned Banned

Sorry but the similiarties are there watch:

The wild boys are calling on there way back from the fireIn : Would signify the NY Firefighters coming back from the burning building.

surrender to a dust cloud on the rise: Surrender to a dust cloud, not unlike the WTC dust cloud that blanketed the city, and which surrendered the skyline.

there's murder (murder, murder)By the roadside in a sore afraid new world: This should be self-explanatory, mass murder did happen on the roadside in NYC, and we are in a new world order post-9/11.

They tried to break us looks like they'll try again : Is not Al Q trying to attack the US again?

About Iraq:

Wild boys wonder where is glory where is all you angels: Obviously symbolic of suicide bombers who die for their glory and religion.

Now the figureheads have fell (fell, fell) : Saddam Hussein

They tried to tame you looks like they'll try again: US invading Iran, and Syria.

But Xerxes I didn’t expect a ignoramus to see the obvious…

8. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

An 'ignoramus,' as in one who doesn't try to fabricate meaning from crappy hair metal?

9. Undecided Banned Banned

Actually even more of your ignorance rears its ugly head...its New Wave. Please do continue...

10. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

bad music is all the same

11. Undecided Banned Banned

Ah yes the eternal truth from a Calgarian...go back to the farm.

P.S: Just to show how little you know...how do you know if New Wave is bad or not if you didn't even knew it existed? Wow...I wish I could talk so much smack.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

New wave is awesome.
    But you clearly are obsessed with 9/11, iraq, etc. You're seeing it everywhere. Oh I can see what you're saying but you could do that with so many things about anything. There's nothing eery about it.

13. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Whether you not you like 'new wave' is completely subjective. The point, which you're blindly ignoring is that trying to associate 'Duran Duran' with 9/11 is ridiculous! There is no connection, no matter how hard you try.

Want to speculate eery correlations? Well I have one for you: It aired on the discovery channel last night. Apparently, averages of randomnly generated voltages, taken from a scientific samples around the world, by MIT, spiked during the period of 9/11 (many times higher than normal deviations.) A similar phenomenon was observed during other major events since then

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

It's a showdown in a no-man's land

Why not drag out Tesla?

1986 or so, that one.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2004
  15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Nothing you have pointed out would have been any less relevant or any more difficult to connect to whatever conflict erupted after the demise of Soviet communism and the end of the Cold War. Guerilla warfare and terrorism were already well established in the mid-1980s. The rise of militant Islam had already occurred. The Muslims of India had already waged war and created Pakistan. The Palestinians were already blowing up buses in Israel. Airliners had already been hijacked.

The references to burning buildings, dust clouds, a new world order, an enemy coming back for a second try, leaders and their statues falling, and armies invading other nations... there's absolutely nothing the least bit remarkable about any of that. Those same words could have been written seventy years ago, and fifteen years later people would have said, "Goddess have mercy, look at this: Irving Berlin wrote a song that predicted World War II."

This is the Nostradamus fallacy. There are many vivid similarities among great events of the same type: wars, the fall of nations, religious rivalries. Much of what can be said about one can be said about the others. If a talented writer makes a certain set of predictions based upon what they know of human nature, politics, and history, it's only a matter of time before they all come true at once. And then it will happen again in another era, and another, and another.

And for the record, the term "techno-funk" was coined to describe the more highly syncopated genre of music created by bands like Duran Duran, ABC, U2, and the Fixx. New wave was the Plimsouls.

16. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

They were probably singing about the boys returning from the Britain/Argentina war zzzzz.

17. SKULLZ Banned Banned

Slayers god hates us all album was released on 911 2001 and has tracks more relevent to that day than duran duran,and was released the same day of all things:

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/slayer/godhatesusall.html

Although slayer has been writing lyrics like that for about 2 decades

18. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Yes.
    Absolutely.
    Just you.

Well... you and your friend :m: getting together to have conversations with each other.