7 day free trial!

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by NMSquirrel, Mar 23, 2014.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I am glad you found it helpful. Sometimes the mere threat of an attorney general or FTC complaint is enough to get the vendor to reconsider. It changes the dynamic from a win to a lose for the business. When an attorney general or the FTC becomes involved the business will spend thousands defending itself, even if the business is eventually cleared by the attorney general and FTC. At worst, the business can be ordered to pay fines, damages and ordered to change its business practices. If the business is found guilty, it could cost them millions. So it is a far better deal for them to nip this in the bud. The last thing they want is a bunch of attorney generals and the FTC breathing down their necks.

Hopefully other people can learn from your experience and CONGRATULATION! You stood up for yourself and you won.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

When one signs these kind of deals there is usually a clause which restricts the ability to file an action. And this case is no different. If a customer wants to litigate an issue, it must be litigated in Douglas County, Nevada which is ok if you live in Douglas County, Nevada. But if you live in New York or New Mexico, it's a whole different deal. You will spend more than you lost with the company on travel and lodging expenses just getting to the courtroom. And did I mention court costs on top of that? You can reasonably expect to pay anywhere from $50 to $150 on court costs and fees, which are not recoverable and are more than what he could recover from the company should he win a judgment.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I know it is difficult, but I think you are a talented individual. I suggest you consider thinking outside the box. Obviously, I don’t know your situation. But with a little creativity you might be able to boost your income a bit or cut a few costs over a period of time to build a little cash balance.

And you are right; it is easier said than done. I couldn’t live on $800/month and maintain my current life style. I pay more than that on taxes every month. But, I venture I could live on $800/month if I had to. It wouldn’t be pretty and it wouldn’t be easy or comfortable. I’d be living in a tent somewhere. And I’m not suggesting you live in a tent. I am just suggesting you keep your mind open to possibilities and opportunities. You are resourceful and tenacious as evidenced by this incident. Use your talent to the best of your ability and don’t sell yourself short.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

during this whole thing, I kept thinking I was doing the same thing as I did when someone showed me the 'illogical fallicies' list..

I OCD'd on it.

but anyway, 175 lot payment, barely got into this old single wide (ran into a person selling it for 1500, lost job just after I got it set up and weather proof, including fixing all the leaks)
    so if my daughter decides to move out, I think I would be able to cover the bills on 800 a month, wouldn't be able to do much else, but until then, I appreciate my daughter..
    rents around here start at 500.

and we have lived in a tent, Spokane Wa, for about 4-6 months, when she was 3-4, it was fun, but glad to get into an apt. (brrr...)

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

12. MISCELLANEOUS. * Governing Law. This Agreement and all matters arising out of, or otherwise relating to, this Agreement shall be governed exclusively by the laws of the State of Nevada, excluding its conflict of law provisions. Venue for any matter arising from or related to this Agreement shall exist solely and exclusively in Douglas County, Nevada, and the parties hereby submit to the personal jurisdiction of the state and federal courts sitting in Douglas County, Nevada for such purpose.

Incredible. "excluding its conflict of law provisions"
    What does that mean?

A good idea before buying anything on the internet is to put the name into google followed by the word "scam".
    http://www.reviewopedia.com/bella-labs-reviews

9. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

to me that says 'as long as what we have put in this contract is not illegal'
    which bring me back to 'to dumb to understand its illegal'

also:
    my money is back home in my account now, ALL of it.

which also brings up the question of standards of contracts, IOW we as a nation expect certain things from a company and the courts and society in general adhere to a certain standard regardless of what is in any contract,
    I do not read the terms because MOST times they are just their to protect honesty, MOST all terms usually have the same stuff in them to protect both the customer and the business from dishonest practices, when is it gonna get to the point that ALL contracts are required to say the exact same thing. making it impossible to 'trick' ppl.

what I have heard is the product they sell is a decent product, its the company not the product that is trashing their reputation.
    look closely, what is the difference between the 14 day trial and just ordering the product without the 14 day trial.
    I posted the main page contract and the 14 day contract, the main page contract says 89.99 the 14 day says 87.63 you only save $2.36, that is the only difference (other than an attempt to 'trick') I see between the two.
    so it would be better to order it normal as the terms do say its a 30 day contract not a 14 day.

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

NMSquirrel,

What some companies usually try to use is the fact that if something is a small claim that it would cost more to go through a legislative channel than actually take the knock the company gave you. This isn't a decent business practice.

What you'll likely have to do is like how others have done in similar cases, rather than trying to find a costly lawyer on your own, try to find other people with similar complaints, work out if there is anyone within that group of people that are better suited for dealing with a legal avenue if you yourself are unable to undertake that task yourself. What you then need to do is create a Group suit from all those people, since a lawyers retainer fee can then be split across the group, since the lawyer will be dealing with more than one complaint it also greatly increases the chances of any legislative action ruling in the groups favour (as opposed to an individual)

The lawyer should make sure that all those loses and costs that have been incurred by every person of that group are taken into consideration with the action. (incidentally the Lawyer if on a percentage will gain more from a group than an individual, again making it more likely you can find someone to stand for you)

Incidentally you'll have to be careful if you do undertake a legal route in regards to what "complaint" information you've shared online, you have to consider that while it's fair due to complain it can be also misused in the companies defence if they imply damages in response. So it's a good idea to get that legal direction looked at before any public complaining. (Just remember while it's posssible for one of us Mod's to delete the thread if a lawyer suggests that to you, it will have gotten spidered by Google etc by then)

11. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

OMG!!

I swear its a conspiracy..
    first the 7 day free trial took my account in overdraft,
    called and they refunded, account not in overdraft..
    then bella took my account into overdraft
    called,fought,won, account not in overdraft..

now the bank decides to charge me 29 overdraft fee, (twice once for each) putting me in overdraft AGAIN!!! ggrrrr..

fortunately, I went over and talked to Helen at our local branch, and since I talked to her before to see if there was anything they could do in regard to bellalabs, she understood what was going on and they took the charges off my account.. YEA! thank you Helen, account not in overdraft anymore...(shh..don't jinx it)

I don't think I have ever been so happy to have 4 dollars in my account....

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Good grief man... if I wasn't already in a state where I"m not sure if I'll be able to make our next rent payment (our roomate never gave us the rest of last months rent, nor his portion of last months utilities, nor has he given us his part of next months rent yet... because his car apparently cost 600 bucks to get to pass inspection, yet he can bring home a pack of cigs and a case of beer each night... hmm...) I'd offer to send ya like, fifty bucks or so so you had something in there!

13. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

rent comes first, kick him to the curb and find someone who has income...

oh.. odds are, he's related.. yes?
    (otherwise he would be at the curb,eh?)

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

No, he's not related... we (my wife and I and him) have been roomates for about 2 years now... the problem is, my wife and I couldn't afford the townhouse on our own (it's one of the reasons that we agreed to go half-in on it with him). He pays half the rent and utilities, my wife and I take care of 90% of the cooking, cleaning, and food... he's been in a funk for a while now over a girl that left him several years ago as he was getting ready to propose (he had even moved down to Florida to be with her before she dumped him) and now he just... drinks himself away every night... *shrugs* It's sad... he's a good enough guy, but he seriously needs to get some help and get over this girl...

We are/have been looking to find a place we could afford ourselves... where we are now, rent is 1100 a month, utilities averages about 150 a month (that's power and cable) - we dont' have to pay for heat, water, or hot water and all major appliances were included (Washer, Dryer, Dishwasher, Stove, Etc) so we saved a bunch there in the long run... plus it's a nice, quiet community that's safe, we just had new high-efficiency windows installed, all the weather stripping is good... place is in good shape.

To find a place much cheaper, even just a one bedroom, I'm looking at having to go into down town harrisburg (like, front street area)... nothing included (so utilities would go up), buildings look to be in meh condition (so utilities would go up further due to heating/cooling), coin op laundry shared per floor (eww and expensive) and even then... for a studio apartment, we're looking like 500 a month! That's not to mention the fact that we'd have to use a nearby parking garage and I would fear for our safety down there.

*sighs* Why is this place so damned expensive lol... hopefully we can find something that's still within a reasonable commute for both of our jobs...

15. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

how prevalent are Mobile home parks?

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Very. There's one not far from my office, in the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan area, that has about 500 units. And there's another one about ten miles away.

The rules vary. In that one the owners must live on site, not allowed to rent it out--although family members are okay, wink-wink. They are not allowed to buy the land, so they have to pay rent.

There are others in which the owner also owns the land and is allowed to rent it.

And there are parks just for seniors. Children can only visit for one week.

One of them allows pets but does not allow people to put up fences. So when you drive through there are dogs running everywhere.

Some of the homes are very nice, really well built. But others are cheaper and you can tell. They don't get much bigger than a "double-wide" (two units attached along the long wall), 1200 square feet. After all, a truck has to be able to haul it legally on the highway.

17. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

No way to setup a Remote Office and use Flexitime?

If it was the case you could either be able to move further away (go into the main office less often) or possible have some cost's covered by your company (if they do that).

18. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

usually in a mobile home park, there is only room for a double wide, but they do make triple wides, I had a customer (ex-contractor remember) who bought a triple wide and put it up while I was working on their old house, it was HUGE, had one of those secret pantries, the entrance looked like a normal cabinet.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Nah, I'm the only IT guy on site, so I need to be there for hands-on tasks as well. It's alright, we'll figure things out in the end - we always do

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

ok, now for the question.

how would we as citizens make the 7/14 day free trial, illegal?
    how can we as citizens make it mandatory 30 day guarantee?

21. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If you wanted to do that you would have to probably start a petition and I'm not entirely familiar with American Law but I'm pretty sure that it likely have something to do with Congress (petition a Congressperson).
    You'll likely have more luck the more people involved in a petition, usually your looking for 1,000 to 10,000 signatures, the more upstanding and renowned the citizen the better.

22. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Another scam, and one which I fell for myself, is paying for something that should have been free.
    The scammer made up a site name which looked like a government site, and paid google so that they appeared above the real site.
    Don't trust anything on the internet until you have made a check first.