41% of Pregnancies End in Abortion in NYC

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by madanthonywayne, Jan 7, 2011.

1. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

ok read this

Broken down by race for 2009:

Specifically non-Hispanic Black's have a 59.8% abortion rate.

Hispanics have a 41.3% abortion rate.

Asians have a 22.7% abortion rate.

And non-Hispanic Whites have a 20.4% abortion rate.

by race for year 2009 assuming or logically thinking 100% is the max like most people do

59.8+41.3+22.7+20.4= 144.2 so how is that a math fail? assuming your taking out of 100% being every single abortin that happned in the year 2009 which would be 100% since it is not noted this number will be over every single abortion..

again nasor how is that math fail?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fall Caesar Registered Member

I'm equally outraged by the sheer amount of emotion and ideological bias in your post, Tiassa. I understand you disagree, but the points you've made against him can likewise rebound and apply to you.

Capitalism does not lead to devastation as you make it sound. It does create a class system, but equal opportunity does allow for individuals to make the most out of themselves. Poverty will exist, but it is necessary. If really motivated, an individual HAS the ability to exit poverty if they simply THINK. Nobody thinks anymore, and that is the problem right now.

Back on thread, and from a purely moral standpoint, if society values a morality on the basis of a battle of personal freedom, then the first and most important issue is to allow abortions for those who have been raped and increase efforts to counteract rapists and stop them from committing rape in the first place.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Upon your return from the outer galaxy ....

Oh, do tell. Please.

Idyllic. If only it was true ....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SilentLi89 Registered Senior Member

Yes it is. What is your gripe, exactly? I assume abortion rates among black women are higher because more black women when compared to white and asian women are of a lower socio-economic status, thus they nor their family (if they are young) can support another mouth to feed. While many Latina women are also from the same income bracket they tend to have more familial support. I live in California and it is not rare to see a Mexican woman with four children pregnant with her fifth, who appears to be in her early 20s. Black families tend not to be large, within Black culture having too many children while living on the county is frowned upon (even by other people living in the projects) so not a whole lot of social support for accidental pregnancies.
    Plus many people in that income group tend to devalue education and so are poorly educated. I teach sex-ed at a few of the local high schools in my area and I've heard teens tell me that you can't get pregnant the first time you have sex, you can get pregnant from oral sex, and that only gay people have to worry about catching AIDS. These are false stories that children spread as children have always done, but the bad part is that these kids grow into adults and never learn the truth, don't care to learn when they realize their ignorance, and cannot correct their children's misconceptions.
    I can never stress enough to my students that Planned Parenthood is their friend and require them all to visit and talk about sex with a healthcare professional there in order to pass my class. I'm the last person that will point fingers, because despite all of the education about sex I've had I have made a few stupid mistakes, but when I got my head back on straight I knew what to do to take care of myself and keep it from happening again.

8. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

because its percentage of each races pregancies ending in abortion not percentge of total abortions by race.

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Statements like the above serve only to expose your bias and hostility towards conservatism. An open mind, or at least the appearance of one, would make for a more convincing argument.
    Agreed.
    People are competitive. In a capitalist system that competitive urge is turned towards peaceful economic competition that benefits society. Adam Smith's "invisible hand", now better understood as an example of emergence
    That statement is completely unsupported and incorrect. Shall we compare capitalist West Germany with communist East Germany? How about North and South Korea? How about the general level of wealth in the West before and after the development of capitalism?
    Bad schools are the result of many factors, lack of funding is far from the primary cause.
    While your solution is to promote more discrimination and to lower standards for minorities rather than seeing to it that they can meet the same standards as everyone else. Talk about preparing them for serfdom.
    I agree, that's stupid.
    I advocate nothing of the sort. I advocate freedom in all areas of life. That includes economic freedom which creates the maximum potential for economic mobility.
    I was quoting Bill Clinton.​

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

(chortle!)

Having an open mind does not require one to give credibility to obviously disingenuous excrement. Nor does it demand that after repeated and consistent demonstration of an outcome, one should reasonably expect a spontaneous, wholesale change.

People can be competitive without capitalism as it has come to be known.

Perhaps you forget that there is much in the Universe that can ruin our species. Quite literally, there's enough to deal with out there that we needn't be cutting each other's throats as we are.

Even Ronald Reagan understood that.

The problem is that competition can often stunt progress. I know, I know; y'all believe in innovation and all that. But good ideas aren't given credence in the marketplace until they are profitable. So there's a lot that people come up with that hasn't been built or implemented because there is more money to be made without it.

Always with the disingenuous comparisons. Always with the machismo and dick-measuring contests.

Stop identifying yourself by what you fear. Start taking some manner of genuine, honest pride in your principles.

Or are we done with all that bullshit about the land of opportunity, and how anyone can make it big?

Consider American wealth. Now I'm not talking about full-blown redistribution here, but eighty-five percent of the wealth is concentrated in about twenty percent of the population, leaving the remaining eighty percent to pick and fight over the fifteen percent that's left.

Imagine if that eighty percent had a quarter, or a third of the wealth.

How many more kids could have good computers and internet connections to help with their schools? How many more families could afford health insurance? How about that home ownership kick, eh? What would a doubling of the wealth in the working classes do for real estate? Or automotive? Or large-ticket consumer goods? Or school funding?

And as people enjoy those benefits and improve themselves, you'll see the abortion numbers drop. Abortion is not a political issue that can be solved with a specific law. Rather, it is a societal issue that requires societal address.

Right. It's the damn union labor. If it wasn't for the damn union labor, we could have twice as many teachers who are twice as good for half the cost. Right?

I remember recently someone was shocked at what a friend was making. "I had no idea," he explained, "that teachers were being paid so well."

Paid so well? She has a fucking masters degree. I know people without bachelor's degrees who make more cutting hair. I know people with bachelor's degrees who make more than twice what my friend does. Teaching is the lowest-paid advanced-degree career out there.

The teachers at my daughter's school send home a list at the beginning of every school year, detailing supplies needed for the classroom. Occasional reminders show up via email or letters home if the class needs something.

And we're talking basic hygeine here. The school is so pinched for funds that parents, not the school district, provide hand cleaner, sanitary wipes, and other things the school needs to keep our kids safe.

Of course, we also have to account for families. Their role in education is vital. Imagine if they weren't scrabbling for the next meal. Imagine if they had a little more of that wealth, so instead of spending nights running the home business out of the spare room, one could help the kids with their homework.

We have a good arrangement here; my daughter's maternal grandparents are already in the neighborhood, and my own mother will be in the area very soon. It's a total flip of a bad memory from my relationship with J. At one point, she wanted to abandon our plan against day care so I could go to work. Problem is, I don't earn a lot. Further problem, we would need child care, which isn't cheap. Further problem, she wanted me to work so I could pay rent while she went to the bar and drank. Nowhere in her equation was child care funds.

It was for capitalism that we transformed our society into one of two-income families. It's like when an article hit Seattle a decade ago about how stagnant wages were forcing people to cohabitate. Well, yeah, it's a raw deal for the moralists. They vote for Republicans, who are economic conservatives, who thrive on bad wages, with the result that people can work eighty hours a week and still not afford to live in the city where they work.

Lack of funding is not "far from the primary cause".

No, that's just how you need to see it in order to justify yourself. I'm looking for a way out; you're working toward perpetuation.

Well, perhaps, as a conservative, you might try to do something about it instead of embarrassing yourself with juvenile, hack politics.

Just as long as the middle class tax rolls support the rich.

Or, perhaps, in the future, you might spare us that sort of bullshit.

After all, you are the advocate for the economic system that requires a massive and growing poverty class in order to support a relatively few wealthy elite. So please, spare us the vapid political sunshine sales job.

Look, I'm aware that you think you ought to be able to sneer and act stupid about issues without any repercussions, but not everyone is amused at needing to run a short bus alongside every thread for the people who just can't figure out how to get along in a conversation. The saying goes that there are no stupid questions, but that's just not true. When you're trying to teach children and encourage them to inquire about the world, it's a fine credo. But for adults pretending to have some useful knowledge about a subject, yes, they certainly can ask stupid questions.

No one policy will make abortion truly rare. That requires a cultural change of the sort that—and I say this without sarcasm or malice—would probably frighten you. Your question is offensive because I'm pretty damn sure you're already aware of many of the issues I raised, and yet you don't seem to have considered any of them in formulating the proposition.

Or, simply, if we already know that two plus two equal four, why do we have to prove it again in order to figure out what four plus four equals? Every time an issue reasserts itself, it's as if the whole political discourse is obliged to lug back to square one so everyone can feel included. And if you're one of those morons back east that seems to think the juices don't get flowin' and a raped woman can't get pregnant, no, we're not going back to square one for you.

We already know that economic factors bear tremendous influence over social conditions. Why do we have to go back and re-establish that every time you or some other conservative wants to talk about abortion, or crime, or education, or whatever?

No, really. If you're driving out to Denver, what are you going to make on the first day? St. Louis? Maybe Columbia? Okay, so if you stop for the night, when you wake up, you just keep heading toward Denver, right? Or do you go back to Indiana and start all over?

Why should everyone have to go back to Indiana? Why can't we just get up and keep traveling toward our destination?

The problem is, at least in part, that these arguments we have to keep revisiting aren't valid, and they're not going to magically become valid if you keep repeating it. There are no ruby slippers this time.

For nearly forty years the current phase of the abortion debate has carried on, and yet one might think, given some right-wing talking points, that we've never engaged the issue before.

It's almost as if truth and politics are mutually exclusive in your eyes.

11. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

They don't need to become valid in order to dominate the national political discourse and so influence policy accordingly. The industry manufacturing and pushing these talking points isn't trying to impress serious critics with their philosophical and analytic chops. Validity barely figures into it - it's about giving people something to say that sounds satisfying.

Indeed, such is the preferred setting for that faction. If we're going to go back and have a discourse that aknowledges what's come before, there's going to be nothing for the (religious/cultural) right to talk about - they'd have to just admit that they've already been defeated.

Which misses the point - the people making the talking points know perfectly well that they aren't going to win the debate (even if people go along with ignoring the history). They couldn't care less about abortion policy. It's simply about keeping the issue alive as a culture-war wedge to lock down the conservative Christian base. It's actually better for them if there's no progress - that way the Christians can keep voting Republican over and over again, chasing the abortion chimera. And that's important to them - there's a real liability that one day it will dawn on Christians just how openly anti-Christian the entirety of GOP politics is. Especially if they were to ever get what they want on the wedge issues - then what are Republicans going to offer them to keep them mobilized? Things that their core business/plutocrat supporters emphatically oppose, such as aid for the poor and destitute, tending to the sick and hopeless, social justice generally, and other such actually-Christian undertakings. Well, or they might start to realize that there's nothing particularly "Christian" about the agendas of many of these "Christian" organizations, once the wedge issue is no longer distracting. Either way, the GOP loses a reliable, cheap element of its base.

So, it's absolutely key that the GOP keeps the Christians banging their heads against the abortion wall as long as possible. Otherwise, they'll find themselves being hollowed out by the Christians, instead of the other way around.

I'd say "orthogonal" rather than "exclusive," but either way I'm not sure that necessarily counts as a criticism. I mean, he is playing politics, right? So why should he go and shoot himself in the foot in the name of "truth?" No money in that.

12. Zecoac Registered Senior Member

People need to be more educated about birth control...there are to many ways/options to prevent unplanned pregnancy...NOW I know sometime something happens and you can not control everything... in that case it is your body do what you want nobody should be able to tell you different.

13. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Too late.

Too late fifteen, twenty years ago.

The question becoming what "accordingly" means, in the context of arguments so little connected with reason or physical reality, so completely fantastic in premise and invalid in implication.

What influence on actual policy do we ascribe to them ? - the arguments and beliefs, that is, not the nature of the politicians empowered by their domination of discourse.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  14. Nasor Valued Senior Member

If Asians have a 22.7% abortion rate, it means that 22.7% of Asian pregnancies end in abortion. There is no reason why the total of the rate for each race would add up to 100%.

15. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

Well..although I think someone's social/ethnical heritage and/or background does play a role in the decisions they make, I think it's equally important that those abortion statistics get also categorised into "why" (par example: health -, socioeconomic reasons, etc.)

Since the topic abortion is much more complicated than the opening post, or the presented study expressed..there's nothing much to discuss at this point, unless one feels like bashing a certain ethnic group for having more abortions than others.

16. greenboy Registered Senior Member

When a child is aborted we all loose, we loose our humanity, we are worst than animals, ( I never saw a lioness or a cow going to a Planned Parenthood Clinic) and we make our country weaker. While other countries is absolutely forbidden and men may and can have more than one wife, and they are reproducing like never before. Here in American people are not getting married during their reproductive years they are having too much fun, women are not having babies because the career goes first and we abort a 41% percent of the babies in NYC,( this is only one city). I wonder. How Long we could keep this country running without a drastic change in our Culture and believes, How long America will be able to stay American... Every Child I could care less about race count... America Wake up! we need all of them. right now we have millions of american couples going to Foreign countries to adopt children, or to surrogate their children from underdeveloped countries, because we have not orphanages here making easier to the american people to adopt our own, is better to kill Junior, than to place him or her for adoption. Sometimes I wonder.

17. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

We don't need more US Americans. :/

Lioness doesn't even know what a Planned Parenthood Clinic is. But animals actually do sometimes practice a form of abortion, but I guess it's more of an infanticide thing.

18. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

not mention most mammals at least are not fertile for most of the year

19. greenboy Registered Senior Member

Well

the majority of the mammal at the farm are fertile all year around, rabbits are number one on the list, I can not think of a farm animal is not. But if you go into exotic animals I guess some are like that. But my cousin Vito works in a Zoo and he told me Lions, are not all the time fertile and they have to develop an anti-conceptive shot for lionesses, because Lions are number one animal reproducing in the zoo... How about that? and they are exotic. At least in my book...
    When we loose a child everybody looses... WE NEED MORE AMERICAN CHILDREN !!! to keep AMERICAN Culture healthy ... Down with abortion... Abortion kills American....

20. bluebird Registered Member

I agree, also I would suspect this data was collected from certain health institutions, with many others being left out and operations or prescriptions maintained as confidential. This statistic is meant only to be inflammatory for anti-choice advocates, and at best it highlights the inaccuracies of statistics when sampling a diverse and economically stratified population.

21. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

Farm animals? Obviously, everything that's been touched by human hands would be that way. Rabbits are a special case, though.

American culture...? Never heard of that.

What benefit would you have from having to raise more kids without parents? I mean, someone has to look after those children. This world, as it is, is already overpopulated. What we need is a f*cking calamity, or virus that would cull off at least 50% of humanity.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Wrong. When someone not fit to raise a child or lacks the resources and tries to anyway, everyone loses. Rich people will always be able to fly to another country to get health care, but poor people will not. Being anti-abortion is like declaring war on the poor.

23. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Ever seen how animals deal with unwanted young?

It's a lot like the way people deal with unwanted pregnancies in places where abortion is made unavailable.

Which is to say: infanticide.

The fact of the matter is that a large percentage of the fetuses that are getting aborted would, if carried to term and raised, end up in prison. This is because they would not be born and raised in stable, loving households.

Do we need more prisoners?