4 Types of Teleportation

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Liberator, May 5, 2004.

1. Liberator Registered Member

I have often been fascinated by the idea of teleportation, that is, the theoretical technology that can instantly move a person or object from one place to another. Teleportation has already been accomplished by teleporting a photon's properties, however, not the actual photon itself. For more information, check out the following website:

www.aip.org/physnews/grap...leport.htm

The question is, are living objects are only the sum total of the properties of the particles from which they are constructed? In that case quantum teleporting the properties of the particles from one set of atoms to a new set of atoms should be enough to teleport living objects. According to quantum mechanics, this should be the case. The initial and final states of the atoms in the object are, in principle, totally indistinguishable and therefore identical.

Of course if you believe in a soul, and also believe that the soul does not reside or is not encoded in physical matter, then teleportation of this type will not work.

1) Are human beings the sum total of the properties of the particles from which they are constructed?

2) Could a person theorically survive the quantum teleportation process?

There may also be another theoretical possibility of teleportation humans by the use of converting matter into energy. I recently read an article on the net about the conversion of energy into matter. An experiment at Stanford University was accomplished at S.L.A.C. (short for Stanford Linear Accelerator Center). Michael Pidwirny, the guy who wrote it claimed that it might one day be a useful means of teleportation like in Star Trek. Here is a direct quote from him:

"In 1998 researchers at Stanford University's Linear Accelerator Center successfully converted energy into matter. This feat was accomplished by using lasers and incredibly strong electromagnetic fields to change ordinary light into matter. The results of this experiment may allow for the development of variety of technological gadgets. One such development could be matter/energy transporters or food replicators that are commonly seen in some of our favorite science fiction programs."

Here is the website:

www.physicalgeography.net...ls/6a.html

Here are some links to SLAC's statements released to various publications concerning the experiment:

www.slac.stanford.edu/exp...times.html

www.slac.stanford.edu/exp...e1202.html

Personally, I don't think that there will ever be a conventional use for converting energy into matter because of the amount of energy contained in one human being. Think about it: if one human can produce thousands of hiroshimas bombs, then you would need thousands of atom bombs worth of energy to create a turkey sandwich. That just doesn't seem practical to me. If that amount of energy were to be released when turning a man into energy, well let's just say there wouldn't be much left of anything for a few thousand miles! In any conversion of matter, some energy is inevitably lost. In addition, such conversions of particles to energy are called annihilations, that is, they are like explosions: the explosive material is completely destroyed and no memory of its original form remains.

But let's play with this thought experiment for now. The atoms that compose our bodies are replaced every (7 years?), I've heard (I don't pretend to know the exact figure, but it seems reasonable). If this is the case, then after 7 years, you are physically completely different than you were at the beginning of the 7 year period. Then, in introspect, I realize to myself that I have a continuity of experiences, at least, my stream of consciousness is not noticeably interrupted.

Now imagine for the sake of arugment that teleportation were to be accomplish by converting a person into energy and you had the technology to reverse the process. In addition, you send the information along with the energy.

The question is, would the person survive the procedure, or would the individual cease to exist and be replaced with a replica, who was literally born into existence once the energy was reconverted back into matter with the information? In my view, when your body is destroy, you die. End of story. What comes out of the teleporter is an exact copy, with all your memories etc, and no knowledge that it isn't you, but it isn't. No one would ever notice the problem, so it only affects you when it happens. Unless, if you believe in souls, there are "conservation of souls" problems to deal with - does the same soul follow the body around? While in an energy state, there is no consciousness, no heart to beat, hence the person who first underwent this form of teleportation has cease to exist and replaced with a replica.

3) What does everybody else thinks? (Note: I know this question sounds a bit philosophical but I'd be very interested in everyones' opinion anyway.)

Other two forms of teleportation involve extra dimensions and wormholes.

4) Which type of teleportation seems to be the more plausible, quantum teleportation, the matter/energy converter, extra dimensions or wormholes?

Liberator

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ddovala Pi is exactly 3 Registered Senior Member

turning energy into matter is no big deal. Happens all the time (pair production)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

No, they are also the arrangement of those atoms in a particular order. Nothing else though

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Theoretically it is possible, practically it is impossible!

Energy can never be lost

No, a lot of people mix this concept up. Our cells get replaced every 7 years. I will not pretend to know anything about when ALL our atoms are replaced if at all during our life.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Omnignost Registered Senior Member

Souls seem pretty useless to me. I don't think I would need one even if there were such a thing. What do people really mean when they say soul? It doesn't seem to me that souls have any properties.
    Quantum uncertainty prevents exact teleportation but the thought processes are macroscopic chemical events so there are no theoretical barriers to making an exact enough replica of a living, thinking person. We just need better MR scanners, bigger hard drives and, most importantly, 3-D printers that can print proteins, lipids, DNA and all the other bio-stuff we are made off.
    Some, even extremely gifted, people seem to believe that you would need the coordinates of every electron to replicate a person. This is true in principle, but it would not affect the behavior of the replicant, as long as we get essentially all of the molecules right. Molecules are comfortably classical in most of their properties. Difficult but doable!

8. Paul T Registered Senior Member

There is a small problem though. I remember reading something (but don't remember where) about memory in human brain. The expert do not find part of human brain that supposed to store memory. something supposed to be comparable to hard disk or RAM or whataver. Until they find it, whoever teleported would possibly suffer the massive lost of memory.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Yes, as we have already said, u would need to know the exact state of every atom in the body. Practically impossible.

10. Omnignost Registered Senior Member

No, all the evidence is pointing to that the memory engrams are stored in the coupling strength of the billions of synapses we have. One of the mechanisms behind this is called long-term-potentiation (LTP), for those who want to read more. It is a very macroscopic and classical thing. There are just losts of synapses to replicate but no need for unrealistic precision so if you had the anatomy and chemical composition down to the nanometer scale you would feel just as fine after being faxed as before. The amount of information is of course staggering.

11. vslayer Registered Senior Member

this is relly confusing me, if you convert light energy into mass wat does it become Hydrogen? solid light? how would light be solid

12. Omnignost Registered Senior Member

It would be a random mixture of particles. Most of the lightest ones like electrons and positrons.

13. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

Tackle the biggest hurdel first

Yes every atom in human body will take a long time to read but …

That statement is true only if we read them one by one.

If we devise reader that can instantly read all the atoms in one go then what ?

Instead of saying that’s impossible . Please state how it can be possible.

14. Omnignost Registered Senior Member

There is something like it. An MR scanner kan read the position of many types of atoms, not all (even atomic number, even mass number are invisible) but it should, in principle, be enough to reconstruct the missing atoms at high rez. Currently it is only at a resolution of several micrometers, at best. And quite slow. A mm resolution 3-D full-body scan of only hydrogen atoms takes about a minute.

Something that could be envisioned is a nano-tecnological manipulator. If you had a surface covered by nano-arms that could feel/measure the position and composition it could dissassemble a human body atom (or molecule) by atom and record the information. You would be pulped in the process but a similar device could then put you back together again. To do this quickly would be immensely power consuming but posible in principle. The big problem is probably that the processs must be fast enough to eat through your body faster than it takes to die. Perhaps we could put nome figures on the power consumption here but not tonight. Don't forget whom to include in the patent!

15. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Even if we had a scanner that could read all the atoms positions (and types of atom) on a surface, there are still about 1.5 billion other surfaces to read after that and how would we be able to get to these surfaces? Im thinking it would take a couple of thousand years from now to develop the technology to completely read the human surface (very hard to estimate though) so how long is it going to take to read the body?!

16. prajna Registered Member

Lost, but not destroyed. Lost, in this instance, being displaced.

So yes, John Connellan, for our benefit please don't pretend to know anything.

17. Liberator Registered Member

In your opinion, do you think a person could theorically survive fully intact by being converted into energy and being reconverted back into matter, or would it be an entirely different personality (replica) despite looking indistinguishable from the original?

Liberator

18. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

If space can be bend with matter in it not being aware of it. Then is it possible to copy or cut and paste space with humans in it. Any ideas or comments are desperately required on this one.