3d movies on standard PC monitors

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Wormsworth, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Wormsworth Registered Senior Member

I'm not announcing any new 3d technology developments here. Instead I am proposing that it might be possible to present 3d moving images on a 2d screen. I would like to hear any opinions on whether this might work or any other ideas about getting 3d out of standard 2d monitors. Also, if anyone has the software and knowledge on creating a demo of this... I'd love to see it!

History: I remember many years ago when 3d art was all the rave. You would stare at a poster with a repeating pattern for a couple of minutes and suddenly you would vaguely see (crosseyed) the 3d image of the space shuttle or horse or something floating in the foreground. This was accomplished by varying the distance between the repeated pattern in the poster. These were called "magic eye" posters and where based on something called "autostereogram". (you can search this online for examples).

I found these posters interesting, but it was not until I recently saw them reproduced on bright PC monitors that I realized how convincing these images can effectively represent 3d.

Hypothetical experiment:
    Could you display multiple consecutive "magic eye" images on a computer screen to show a moving 3d image?

Example:
    Say the image is a simple sphere floating in the left. Then prepare another image where the sphere is moved slighly to the right. Then another with the sphere a little more to the right, etc, etc. Then play all of these images in sequence to produce a 3d movie of a floating ball moving from the left to the right of the screen.

Further exmperiments:
    I have an idea about introducing color to the 3d object by cross-mixing the colors of the pixels to the left and right eye, using surrounding colors to change the perception of the actual color and switching their location on subsequent images to reduce halo effects.

I have an idea about removing the background by using a pseudo random static repeating pattern to the background, thus allowing the viewer to only make sense of the 3d representation rather then the background. By selecting a new repeating random pattern on successive images, the viewer may only "see" the 3d image and be unable to fixate on the actual 2d background. This may make it easier for the viewer to see the 3d and avoid focusing on the plane of the 2d monitor.

I would like to hear your opinions and thoughts. I would really enjoy seeing an example, if someone has a link or the software to create and example... please do so!

Note: I'm not really interested in technology requiring additional hardware. I'm aware of headsets, special 3d monitors and the stereograms (2 distinct images requiring crossed eyes). This is all very interesing, but I would like to keep this on 3d on existing 2d monitors and using the full field of vision (non-stereo images)... without any upgrades. But, alternative concepts and theories within these parameters are welcome.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There is always the tried and true method used at theaters and sometimes on TV, where the two images required for the perception of 3D are sent through a blue and red filter, respectively. The user then wears those funky glasses with red and blue lenses.

This is the same thing as the "magic eye" posters.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Wormsworth Registered Senior Member

This (red/blue) does produce 3d images. However, I find that the red/blue filters do not completely block the image intended for the other eye. The other thing is that the color for each eye does not match and this results in a less then effective 3d effect (for me at least). As (I'm guessing that) the difference in color does not allow my brain to complete the 3d effect.

The "magic eye" has the same color for each eye. I know it's not the true color of the 3d image, but it is the same color for each eye.

Also, red/blue 3d glasses are required to view this. I know they are inexpensive to purchase, but you can not view this on a computer monitor or TV without the glasses.

Maybe I didn't use the right terminology. Here is the difference I meant:

Magic Eye: One single image with a horizonal repeating pattern. The pattern varies slighlty in width giving the perspective of a 3d image when the eyes cross so that each eye is actually looking at (matching up) different portions of the repetition at the same time.
    example: a repeating pattern on wallpaper. The eyes cross slighlty and it appears as if the pattern is floating in front of the wall.

Streograms: Two seperate images. Each taken from a different perspective for each eye. When viewed together by crossing the eyes or with a special device it produces the 3d effect.
    example: an apparatus (similar to binoculars), where the dual images are inserted so when viewed each eye sees a different image and the 3d effect is produced.

Note: stereograms are very effective, but usually require and apparatus to view them.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SaPhZ Registered Senior Member

All I know is that it is certainly possible to view those "Magic Eye" posters on a computer screen, several years back when they were popular I had a program called "Magic Eye" that had those posters on it, and they worked fine. The software also let you apply a particular pattern to a particular 3d object/scene, and essentially build your own 3d image. No animation that I recall though.

8. John99 Banned Banned

wasnt this figure out a few hundred years ago? are you describing depth and shading or is there more?

9. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member