330 MPG! Aptera Hybrid

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by cosmictraveler, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I drive about 10k miles/year, gas is around $2.75/gallon, and my car gets around 25 mpg - so I spend around $1100/year on gas. But I drive a large, fairly heavy sedan with a V6 engine that isn't particularly fuel efficient. Some of the lighter 4-cylinder sedans get around 30-35 mpg.

Edit - Example: The Kia Rio gets 32-35 mpg and costs only about $10k-$11k. It's a pretty small car, but it's still actually a car, unlike these things.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

ok...how much did it cost, your sedan?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I got it used, but I think it's around $18k new.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

if that so and hybrids cost $15k...you would indeed be saving

8. Nasor Valued Senior Member

You are missing my point. If I was buying a new vehicle and wanted to save as much money as possible, I would probably be better off buying a car like the Kia Rio mentioned above. Not only will it be cheaper (or at least, it will take years and years of driving before I see any savings on the hybrid), but I will have an actual car instead of a tiny concept vehicle. Yeah, that hybrid would be cheaper than a new large sedan, but people who are buying a large sedan have already decided that they are willing to pay more for a bigger car.

9. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

unless you make it with one wheel in front and two in back like the old Vigillante trike
    www.vigillante.com

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Very interesting link, thank you!

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Apparently you've never lived in a major city. A condominium in Bethesda MD, which is still eight or ten miles from downtown Washington, costs a million dollars. I rented a ratted out basement in DC for a year and it cost me $1000 a month. People are paying $500,000 for a bloody townhouse in Frederick County MD, which is fifty miles from Washington! The only people who can "live near where they work" in places like Los Angeles and Chicago either make more than $100K or live like losers in garrets. Sure you can still find a few smaller towns with short commutes, but they're all growing. Even a crap-hole like metropolitan Tucson has two-thirds of a million people.

Of course there are a few cities whose governments believe in the fairytale that the law of supply and demand does not apply to them, i.e. they have rent control laws. Santa Monica enacted rent control about 25 years ago and it has turned from one of the nicest suburbs of Los Angeles into a stinking slum. New York City is a lot like that although since it's an industrial center people are able to rent lofts in old factories for fair market value and the authorities don't notice *wink wink*.

In addition, overcrowded housing creates conditions that generally degrade the quality of life. Noise, odors, lack of privacy, inconvenience of living twenty stories above street level, small quarters, no outdoor space. It's a rotten place for people of average means to raise children. It's really hard to have a dog in a crowded city unless you're rich, and you're all familiar with my thesis that every child should have a dog because it's one of our earliest and best civilizing influences. Places where children have to grow up without dogs are striking examples of civilization backsliding into the Stone Age, from the cesspools of America's inner cities where there's no room for dogs to poop, to the cesspools of Islamic fundamentalism where dogs are considered "unclean."
    Try buying your gas in Europe for a couple of bucks per quart. America is living in a fantasy world in which the Chinese and Indians will never start competing with us for the world's limited supply of petroleum.
    People experimented with that configuration for sidecar motorcycle racing, since a loophole in the rules allowed it. I didn't really follow the sport, but as far as I know it didn't catch on. Having more weight on the inboard wheel certainly must help improve stability, but you can't fight the laws of physics. Three wheels are not as stable as four. Besides, it pretty much mandates front-wheel drive, and Americans are not adept enough drivers to handle FWD in emergency situations. You go into a turn too hard, back off on the throttle, and the rear wheels break loose. It will be even worse if there's only one wheel back there.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Nasor Valued Senior Member

That's mainly because of taxes - if you removed the huge gasoline taxes that they have in most European countries, the price would only be about the same as in the U.S. I very seriously doubt that European governments are going to just shrug their shoulders and give up all those billions of tax dollars. If very many people actually start switching to ultra-efficient vehicles, the governments will simply extract the tax money somewhere else (huge "road usage fees," or whatever.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.