3001: The Final Odyssey

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by kmguru, Apr 1, 2002.

1. kmguru Staff Member

My favorite author, Arthur C. Clarke wrote a lot of good ideas in this book. How close are we to make a few of them happen or do we have to wait another 1000 years?

Space elevator using Carbon nanotubes as building material
    Space Cities
    Inertialess Drive
    Zero-point Field Lorentz Force
    Braincap
    Petabyte Tablets
    etc

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

Ditto, What other books do you have? My favs are the RAMA series whats yours....?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I believe I've read every book of Arthur C. Clarke except the original Rama (I started on the sequel and never read the first one). I think the most radical from all of them was probably Childhood's End, but my favorite was the short story collection called 'The Sentinel,' he wrote in the short story of the same name about a guy who went to the moon and found a small pyramid there. It was his very very very first draft of 2001.

But as for the technologies you describe, kmuh, I'd say two centuries tops, but given the incredible acceleration of our technology I wouldn't be surprised to see it before I turn 50.

8. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

Yep, I think that they are all achievable (perhaps not the space drive).

I just finished reading the City and the stars, they had a fast ship as well. It didn't explain how it worked tho.

I agree the sentinal was a very stimulating read. Did they destroy it in the end? i can't remember, I think they tried everything but couldn't...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

typical humans tho, don't understand something, so we destroy it to try to understand it...

9. kmguru Staff Member

Spoiler:

In 3001 we destroyed it so that Clake does not have to write another sequel. We used computer virus a la Independence Day. Think about it, a several million year old advanced technology destroyed by a human generated computer virus. The mistake here is that the virus is compared to AIDs virus and its effect on humans. The falacy is that humans do not have intelligent cells in the body. If we could control our body functions consciously, we could manipulate it to change the antibodies as the virus changes. It is all in the information processing.

But then again it is a fiction written by a human with human comprehension. In that respect it is good reading.

(just a thought: I saw in the news about the black waters of Florida and we could not tell what is happening....)

10. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

Has anyone read the trigger? its by Arthur C.Clarke and someone else....

They had the ultimate weapon against wars, a machine which would disable any modern weapon (nukes, guns, gunpowder etc) which came within its range. I forget how it worked but it did. Would this not be the best thing to happen to the human race at the current time? or would it give the advantage to the chinese etc who all know hand to hand combat?

11. Azrael Angel of Light Registered Senior Member

I think a device like this would be the worst thing that could ever befall humanity. If we had such a device, wars and fights would fall into pure chaos, just look at the riots in the middle east and africa for an example. Wars would become nothing more than street fights with the combatants on each side fighting with whatever was at hand that could be used as a weapon. With modern weaponry at least war is a little more humane (Im probably gonna catch hell for that comment)

As to Arthur C. Clarke, I have always enjoyed his works. My personal favorites are the Venus Prime series, the Rama books and of course the 2001, 2010, 2061, and 3001 books.

12. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

No, I'm sorry I still think this is better than having bombs etc... just look at whats happening in the middle east at the moment, can you honestly tell me that the world would be better off WITH suicide bombers?

Granted, there would be more riots (but with more police they could be controlled), but less people would die and surely this is a good thing?

13. Azrael Angel of Light Registered Senior Member

I guess we are of 2 differing opinions. Which is very good because without diffences then it would be all very bland indeed.

Now to the question, I agree that there would probably be more rioting, but even with more police, the riots would be hard to control. The police would not have any weapons either, so it would degenerate into people throwing whatever they can get there hands on. Violence is never a pretty sight, but hand to hand is one of the brutal forms that violence can take. Just look at WW1 trench warfare for that.

As to the suicide bombers, if they didnt have bombs they would probably use something else to kill themselves and others with, we might have suicide bike chainers or something. I know it sounds obsurd, but I feel if guns and other weapons are taken away, then people will just find something else to create violence and bloodshed with.

And even with a device like the one in the book, it still would not have any effect on the most lethal and dangerous weapon known to man, the human mind.

14. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

Yes, but a few painful/brutal deaths would be better than thousands. The only risk is that with the riots inocent people will be killed.

15. Rick Valued Senior Member

Space elevators are achievable,we have been talking about it in Frontier physics,which is now called physics and Math forums.My personal favorites are Rama series,2010 space odd,i think 2001:A space oddessey was also kool...

bye!

16. Rick Valued Senior Member

PS:my personal favorite although is Isaac Asimov(loved him in Robot novels)...

bye!

17. kmguru Staff Member

We know....we KNOW...

People out of the robot circle have been arguing about those robot laws...I like both authors. I wish somebody would make a foundation series movies...I heard rumors that his estate authorized a producer to do just that...then nothing.

Just read in NYTimes that Chinese are going to build space station. Hope they build it like the 2001...with gravity etc.

I wonder if we could design an inertialess drive...anyone care to speculate what problems need to be solved or if it is impossible.

18. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I completely agree, That would make a great movie, perhaps we should start a campaign?

I'll give it a go if I have a spare five minutes...

19. Rick Valued Senior Member

I think in foundation series,the most daunting task will be emulation of same atmosphere as spun by Asimov,like each charracter has an important role to play(Even Janov). from charraters of Gaia to Hari Seldon,who"ll be the lead?i cant figure out...

I find it particularly interesting,that in Rama series how Arthur justifiesthe usage of name Rama to the enigmatic encounter ship and the probe launched as Sita.he has assumed an important fact here that all the Mytho name,Roman,greek etc will be already used and finally we"ll come to Hindu names...

bye!

20. Rick Valued Senior Member

Tele-series would be great i think.giving it a couple of seaons...

what do you think?

bye!

21. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

I would prefer it to be a long movie. That way you can get into the storyline better. With tele-series each program usually has something exciting going on. I could imagine parts of the story being chopped to make it fit better. But it would be better than nothing.

I don't think that they could have a lead role. The time span covered by the books is too long. They would have to be daring and have a changing lead character.(i.e in the beginning it could be Seldon then nearer the end it would be someone from Gaia. (I haven't read it recently so I cannot remember all of the characters names, sorry).

Thats another reason why I think Clarke is such a good writer, he thinks about everything, including the names and makes it all fit.

22. kmguru Staff Member

Are you Male or Female?

23. kmguru Staff Member

We can start an email and forum campaign at scifi.com and also send emails to most studios.

Clarke lives in Sri Lanka. So he is bound to be exposed to some local mythology on Ramayana. While Europe has been doing spice trade with India for several thousand years, only recently people have begun taking notice of that culture in a mainstream way. With India's $2.2 trillion economy (CIA factbook) - business is bound to take notice....

So, just when you thought we ran out of story lines, we may rediscover new stories from that part of the world (adapted to western taste ofcourse).